What's your favourite Electronic album today ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kowalski, Jan 11, 2024.

1. Davey

Davey RIP Steve Albini (1962-2024)

I like the cover design on that a lot more than Atlas, listening to Octavia now and it's very nice, thanks for the heads up.

[​IMG]

BTW, if you haven't heard the new Bianca Scout Pattern Damage album yet, definitely give it a listen, some of the ambient-leaning tracks like the one below do bring a comparison to Laurel Halo and Atlas, but it's kind of a collage of the avant-garde, really should be heard in its entirety :)

Kowalski, Jaar21 and GordonM like this.
  2. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Kowalski likes this.
  3. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

Bretschneider Rand [1999]

Mille Plateaux label / Over 20 years since it was conceived.

[​IMG]

GordonM likes this.
  4. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Laurel Halo: Dust review – eerie, warm experimental sounds | Electronic music | The Guardian

GordonM likes this.
  5. GordonM

GordonM Forum Resident

6. GordonM

GordonM Forum Resident

I was going to post this one earlier last week - Tortoise - Galapagos Version 1 (remix by Spring Heel Jack).

Both artists have appeared many times in The Wire in the late 90s and early 2000s. Anyway, this is a great remix of Along The Banks of Rivers from Tortoise’s classic Millions Now Living WIll Never Die. I think the remix counts as “electronic” drum ‘n’ bass. This is one of those tracks where the correct speed was an issue. Apparently it says 33 on the 12” but it should have been 45. I prefer it at 33 (as below) but it can be found on YouTube at the faster speed.

Pynchjan likes this.
  7. phantasmagoria

phantasmagoria Lost Child

The Sisterhood - Gift

8. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

... sorry, I should have made it clear!!

GordonM likes this.
  9. Davey

Davey RIP Steve Albini (1962-2024)

I think the Bianca Scout album I mentioned above gets a review in the latest May issue, but I haven't seen it, don't subscribe either.

GordonM likes this.
  10. IMayBeStupid

IMayBeStupid Forum Resident

11. IMayBeStupid

IMayBeStupid Forum Resident

I would like to make a post related to my prior posts on this topic.
    I've learned over the years that...
    When someone from the pre-80s era talks about electronic music, they are less likely to talk about dance music and more likely to talk about experimental music. It also seems that they are also less likely to talk about the later influence that electronic music has had on pop and dance music in the later years, especially in the 1990s, 2000s and the 2010s. People who have been there during those eras are more likely to talk about the more dance oriented forms of electronic music, especially if they have been heavily involved in it.
    I know like one young person who likes a lot of electronic dance music who mistakenly thought that the Sisters With Transistors documentary was actually going to be about female DJs and producers, and not about women experimenting with synthesizers.
    Just thought I'd clear up the confusion for those people who didn't know.

GordonM likes this.
  12. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I think you’re right. Inasmuch as the electronic music pioneers of the 60s and 70s were relatively obscure and low sales compared to pop music artists, even people my own age think I’m talking about dance music when I mention that some of my favorite artists are electronic musicians/synthesists. I have to explain what I’m talking about and they don’t recognize the names, with the possible exception of Kraftwerk (and of course they have a dance music connection). Back in the early days, Walter/Wendy Carlos was the only one with widespread name recognition for Switched on Bach, and it was primarily considered a novelty record in classical music circles. I mention someone as long-lived, famous, prolific, and influential as Tangerine Dream and I get blank stares.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
    GordonM likes this.
  13. cgoodwin

cgoodwin Senior Member

14. VinylPhool

VinylPhool Forum Resident

15. VinylPhool

VinylPhool Forum Resident

16. hifisoup

hifisoup @hearmoremusic on Instagram

Ghosts by David Morley.

17. Davmoco

Davmoco Forum Resident

The Chemical Brothers' Dig Your Own Hole

18. Jaar21

Jaar21 Forum Resident

Paul Frick Dach [2020]

After Schnitzler, Baumann, Schmoelling, Haslinger and Schnauss ... Tangerine Dream's new era defining 3rd member (?/ time will tell) Paul Frick's latest solo offering ... or when Tangerine Dream meet Neo Classical ...

Paul Frick & Ensemble Modern - Schwelle 6 (extract) by Paul Frick (soundcloud.com)

[​IMG]

PS: btw, DUR Edition have got a small (yet) but great catalogue (it includes the latest Oval album)

19. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Tonto`s Expanding Head Band
    (1971)

Buddybud likes this.
  20. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

My favourite electronic music album every day: Jean-Michel Jarre’s Equinoxe. There are a lot more that I like, but I’ll always return to Equinoxe.

21. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Not really an album exactly but one of my favorite bits of music that I stumbled upon in the last few years is this video of Jeff Mills absolutely killing it on nothing but a Roland TR-909 drum machine.

Dave 81828384 and GordonM like this.
  22. Mike Reynolds

Mike Reynolds Forum Resident

For me it's a tie between Stereo MCs Connected and Crystal Method's Tweekend. That leaves Massive Attack's Mezzanine in third position.

23. Pynchjan

Pynchjan Already gone places, just wanna stay where I am

24. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

That was great. I really need to check him out some more.

25. Icenine66

Icenine66 Well-Known Member

It's a tie:
    Wendy Carlos Beauty In The Beast
    Synergy Audion