What's your favourite Electronic album today ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kowalski, Jan 11, 2024.

1. Kowalski

Kowalski Forum Resident Thread Starter

I would say 'today', or 'for quite awhile'.

Boards of Canada - Music Has the Right to Children (1998)

[​IMG]

ekkinak, Binni, freemanl and 18 others like this.
  2. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Laurel Halo “Atlas”

Ristifer, octophone, Kowalski and 3 others like this.
  3. Freddy's Dead

Freddy's Dead Forum Resident

Hmm, interesting question and looking foward to the replies as I'm sure there are plenty to consider since I slowed down my E listening about 6 years ago or so.

I have more than a few mixes that I would consider but for actual albums, I would probably go with this for my all-time favorite: Propellerheads , decksandrumsandrockandroll . I have the orignal record from when it first was released and it sounds fantastic.

4. 9 Volt

9 Volt That cat's something I can't explain

The Midnight- Endless Summer (2016)

Michael and LivingForever like this.
  5. Davey

Davey RIP Steve Albini (1962-2024)

The BoC record is very good, one of my favorites too, but I'll just mention three of my favorites from this past year, all have gotten many, many listens and will continue to, so I'd call them my favorites of today, even if maybe a tad short-sighted :)

Faten Kanaan Afterpoem - I've been a big fan for her last couple records, so no surprise this is one of my favorites of the past year. Dark, ethereal, playful, imaginative, mysterious, really has it all. She has a very distinctive sound.

Laurel Halo Atlas - As my friend @Neonbeam has discovered, this was one of the big musical highlights of 2023 for me, and continues to be a source of endless exploration. What an illusive, unpredictable, and magical album.

Tujiko Noriko Crépuscule I & II - Beautifully flowing twilight music, luminous. I think her work on soundtracks has added another dimension to her music, very adventurous. Packaged as a double CD, over 100 minutes long, but none wasted.

ekkinak, Kowalski and GordonM like this.
  6. cdollaz

cdollaz Forum Resident

[​IMG]

The first one.

joaback, Yost, VinylPhool and 40 others like this.
  7. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

If I were to pick just one right now it would be The Irresistible Force - Global Chillage. It’s one of the most psychedelic albums I’ve ever heard and sets a perfect mood when going on a journey. I especially love the human element to it, I can practically see Morris twisting the knobs. The playful and light nature of it and the intricate rhythms created from all the crazy dub-style delayed and panned sounds hit all the right marks for me.

8. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

BoC is great and so is The Irresistible Force, but my vote of all time greatest electronic album goes to Orbital - In Sides.

9. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

I can't participate in the thread to add links, as I don't know much about Electronic Music genre, but I'm looking forward to sampling these links!
    Nice topic.

10. Storz

Storz Forum Resident

11. Storz

Storz Forum Resident

Freon and Kowalski like this.
  12. mynameischet

mynameischet Forum Resident

Funny, I am listening to the Brown Album as I type this. Both are great albums.

My pick is and will always be:

Citrus, Pynchjan, Legend and 8 others like this.
  13. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Absolutely! Selected Ambient Works 85-92 is a stunning record.

I also love the Orb's first album, The Orb's Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld, but in terms of individual tracks by The Orb, "Oxbow Lakes" from Orbus Terrarum is the best thing they did imo. Just gorgeous beyond belief:

https://youtu.be/dDk7282RjiQ

Citrus, JeffMo, Svetonio and 4 others like this.
  14. GordonM

GordonM Forum Resident

Same here, listened to this a couple of times today. Also listened today to Tangerine Dream East Berlin 1980 (Official Bootleg Series Vol 2) - the raw material for Pergamon.

Tomorrow will listen to something else.

Neonbeam and c-eling like this.
  15. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Same.

ARK and c-eling like this.
  16. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Syntax-Meccano Mind, 2003/2004

17. vanvon

vanvon Well-Known Member

I will enjoy this thread, thank you. A couple great things so far and new ones above to check out.

This is Jon Hopkins’ title track from “Singularity” from 2018. Formerly working as a classical pianist then with Imogen Heap, his forays into solo work lead to collaborations with King Creosote and Brian Eno. The latter invited him to work on the Lovely Bones score and a Coldplay album he was producing.

His latest album is intended for use with psychedelics, but the whole album of “singularity” is my favorite release of his, which bleeds together and is quite a trip, even when sober.

The cover shows the chemical structure for DMT in the stars, and the rest of the packaging shows some choice neurotransmitters and chemicals, making the biochemist in me smile. While this track is fairly thumping by the end, if you find it interesting I would recommend track 5 “Feel First Life” which is the closest I’ve heard anyone get to Eno’s “An Ending (Ascent)” from Apollo: Atmospheres & Soundtracks with Daniel Lanois and Roger Eno.

MC Rag, Legend, Freon and 1 other person like this.
  18. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Emeralds - Does It Look Like I'm Here?(expanded edition)
    Hiroshi Yoshimura - Surround

pory, hutlock and Michael like this.
  19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

familiar with Emeralds...good stuff.

hutlock and mynameischet like this.
  20. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Yes, the album is excellent. Heard them through Bandcamp when the reissue came out.

hutlock and Michael like this.
  21. versionsound

versionsound The six strings that drew blood

Depends how you define “electronic.” If that only means synths and programming, Broadcast’s Tender Buttons was pretty electronic and would likely be my favorite. If we are including sample-based music, the gates are wide open. In that case, my favorite release would undoubtedly be Kemistry & Storm - The Edge 'Intelligent Drum & Bass V6 S2'

Binni and Jarra Lad like this.
  22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

a friend of mine suggested them...

23. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

24. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Legend likes this.
  25. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Wendy Carlos' groundbreaking Switched-On Bach (1968) still holds up remarkably well.

Icenine66, Menehune, bhazen and 4 others like this.