What's with Van Morrison?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bubba-ho-tep, Jul 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident

A few weeks ago at the Ghent Jazz festival, it was really bad.

He forced the organisation to forbid "selling alcohol" during the concert.

His concert was not good and people started a whistling concert.

Very sad ...

2. alylemoss

alylemoss Forum Resident

I don't expect to get a lot of support for what I'm about to say, but I personally find his open contempt for the audience kind of hilarious. And I say this as someone who paid $150-plus to see him in D.C. last year.

I never wonder what Van thinks about his fans behind the scenes - I know he hates me, and it's a testament to his talent and artistry that so many people stick with him in spite of this. I don't find a lot of connection between being a friendly, people person and being a great artist.

I also try not to take it personally ... it doesn't seem like he treats his bandmates very well either. My theory is that the only people he respects as human beings are dead blues artists. While odd, that doesn't make his music any less great.

3. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I was a big fan of Van's through about his 1992 output. Since then, way too many half-done songs about how he's been wronged by the record biz and his "friends," and too many songs that start I-I(first inversion)-IV-V.

Matt

4. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well Thread Starter

He's scaled back quite a bit on singing about being wronged by the business/friends. It still crops up from time to time, but NOTHING like it did in the mid-90's (Too Long in Exile, Days Like This, The Healing Game). For a few years, it got pretty bad. Couple that with those obnoxious Brian Kennedy echo vocals on DLT and THG and you have a pretty rough patch during that period.

(A buddy and I always used to joke about how Brian Kennedy would never be able to do a solo album because he wouldn't have anybody to echo....)

5. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

I think "Behind the Ritual" on Keep it Simple is one his best songs in years, in fact one of my favorite Van songs ever.

And this is a song with a verse that simply goes "blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah...."

6. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

A buddy and I always used to joke about how Brian Kennedy would never be able to do a solo album because he wouldn't have anybody to echo....

7. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

:laugh:

8. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

:laugh:

9. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

Great story, thanks for sharing.

ThereĀ“s nothing like driving under the rain while listening to "Too late to stop now" album.

10. slstokes2216

slstokes2216 Forum Resident

Just wondering-

When did you guys first begin to suspect he was a bit...off?

For me it was "A Town Called Paradise" off the No Guru...record. All that 'copycats ripped off my lyrics, copycats ripped off my songs' stuff made me wonder if he was losing it.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  11. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

When I saw him being interviewed on Irish TV in 1973. 'Warm Love' was getting a lot of play on daytime radio but this guy sure wasn't coming across like any of the pop stars of the day. I was intrigued...

12. bubba-ho-tep

I dunno. I don't think I would describe him as "off" but rather as "bitter and cranky." His bitterness was certainly on full display on "Big Time Operators", which is the earliest track which really addresses the bitterness issue upfront.

13. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I'd say it started one album earlier: Hymns to the SIlence was full of crankiness, particularly "I'm Not Feeling It Anymore" which could be his theme song for the next few years.

14. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

And "Professional Jealousy".

I think it was clear he was a bit off when he recorded "Ring Worm" :laugh:

15. bubba-ho-tep

Speaking of "Ring Worm" and not to change the subject, but is there a go-to (ie. decent SQ, packaging, etc...) collection for those Bang masters that includes the "contractual obligation" recordings?

16. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

I know someone who lives just a couple of doors down from Van. His pleasant personality graces Van's dealing with his neighbors as well as his fans...

17. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

It's off a cassette so you probably wont find a version that sounds any better than the rest.

However, the sheer brilliance of "You Say France And I'll Whistle" certainly outshines the recording.

18. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

19. prof. stoned

prof. stoned Forum Member

I would rather say 'troubled'.

He was like that at age 18 already, back when he was still a nobody and performed with Them in the Maritime Hotel.
    Some eyewitness told a story of how 'incredibly rude' he was and how he thew a burning cigarettebutt away at somebody without looking where it went, etc.
    He also had 'the nerve' to throw a huge tantrum at Dick Rowe & the session musicians who showed up at Them's first recording sessions (the one where they did 'Gloria').
    'Them' & especially Morrison were known for being extremely uncooperative during interviews and tv shows and their reputation nearly killed their career.

Still, you gotta love this guy for being such a great artist.

20. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

All this stuff's S.O.P. for Van Morrison, if you ask me. He's an artist. He always delivers the goods in the end.

21. Jim N.

Jim N. 2024 is 1968 sans the great music

To me it's sad that someone who has accomplished so much seems to be so bitter and angry. He's managed to work in the business pretty steadily for 45 years, has control of a large part of his catalog, has written and performed an incredible number of artistically transcendent songs but seems to derive little or no joy from all of it. Such a sad waste! I really wish he could have enjoyed his success more.

I long ago gave up on Van the person and Van the performer. I will always love many of his albums and that is enough for me. I lost interest in his new material many years ago when he seemed to be cranking out albums according to a schedule, not when he had enough material to warrant one. He has been incredibly prolific but has still managed to put out too many albums despite his gifts.

22. jiminiss

jiminiss Senior Member

I think Van would feel better if he would just express his anger and disdain in song.

23. billy1

billy1 Forum Resident

Thanks, really enjoyed that. Fabulous singer.

24. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Took me 20 years (until I heard these tapes) to finally understand the reference to this song title in the version of "Cypress Avenue" which closes "It's Too Late To Stop Now".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.