What's the latest with the Elton John SACDs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiodrome, May 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I like the discs for the surround mixes, but for stereo there are better options.

2. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Same here. I put one of those SACD's on at least once a month. I have never listened to the redbook layer. My Pioneer 45a is still going strong, waiting for the rest to see the light of day to give them a spin in glorious 5.1 sound. Probably won't happen though. They lost all the momentum long ago. It would have to be marketed well and maybe piggy-back on something else that Elton or UMG would be doing at the same time.

Pat

3. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

That's what I do. The surround mixes are so wonderful, but it's MCA, DJM and Polydor for the stereo versions.

4. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Yes. I have all of the Elton SACDs except for Peachtree Road, and the stereo layer on all of them is bright and brickwalled. I wish they sounded like the original UK DJM vinyl versions.

5. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member Thread Starter

Compressed yes; brickwalled, no. I agree that the SACDs are bright but there's a trade off. On th MFSL of Tumbleweed Connection the piano sounds very muffled and dull on some of the tracks (Where To Now St. Peter, Amoreena) so the brightness on the SACD really helps the piano.

6. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

I dunno. I've tried recording them the same way I do needledrops and the waveforms are as flat as an army buzzcut. It's not equipment related at all as I can record non-brickwalled CDs that way and the waveforms are intact.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.