What's the best sounding Patsy Cline?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by efhjr, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

BTW, the MCAD-12-R version of Patsy Cline's Greatest Hits, although it is labeled HDCD, I scanned it in HDCD.exe and it is NOT HDCD.

Jarleboy likes this.
  3. BradOlson

For those of you who have copies of the Patsy Cline Collection boxed set with the glitched "Just Out of Reach," this song right from the mono master in great sound can be found on "The Best of Patsy Cline" on Curb.
    [​IMG]

Track down a cheap used copy of this disc and enjoy as this whole disc is mono.

efhjr likes this.
  4. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

I like how Curb's idea of "The Best of Patsy Cline" is just a half-hour's worth of her 4-Star recordings on a medium that fits 80 minutes of music.

The Killer and BradOlson like this.
  5. BradOlson

Curb is known for these sorts of comps and as many people bought these discs based on their low prices alone, it is recommended to seek Curb comps used or if you come across any of these comps for $5 at Walmart, pick them up. The 4 Star recordings are readily licensed and there are tons of comps of this era out there, some of them comprehensive, others being budget priced.

6. art

art Senior Member

The SACD is gorgeous.

Coaltrain and Jarleboy like this.
  7. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

Thanks. I´ll play it tomorrow. :agree:

8. Steve626

Steve626 Forum Resident

I agree that the SACD is really wonderful. Hope you enjoy it.

9. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

This and a Johnny Horton's greatest hits, are the first two albums around the house, so THAT Patsy Cline, was the most desired for me.

[​IMG]

10. bhasenstab

bhasenstab Forum Resident

Just had to update my Patsy Library, as the 12-song Greatest Hits just ain't enough for a fan! Thanks for this thread, folks! Ordered the Decca 2-CD and the 1991 box, used for $14. :shh:

11. BradOlson

Everything she's ever recorded is a treasure, great song or not.

BeSteVenn, bhasenstab and Jarleboy like this.
  12. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

I bought the Greatest Hits LP with the green cover design in the 1980's on the Aust. budget Axis label. It sounded great at the time, before no-noise was invented and brickwalling was the fashion. Which makes me think, in hindsight leg-warmers weren't that bad compared to the brickwalling we now suffer.

Discogs indicates it's an original MCA recording under licence from WEA Records Pty. Ltd, Made by E M I (Australia), ℗ and © 1985.
    Axis (3) ‎– AX.156115, EMI ‎– AX.156115, MCA Records ‎– AX.156115, Axis (3) ‎– AX-156115, EMI ‎– AX-156115, MCA Records ‎– AX-156115
    "This reissue of the original (US) compilation form, includes extra tracks [A7 & B7] and shuffles the order of tracks slightly too, compared to the original 1967 releases".

[​IMG]

hi_watt likes this.
  13. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

My local thrift shop has both the original MCA CD with black cover and the 2003 HDCD with green cover of 12 Greatest Hits for .50 cents each.
    Both are in minty fresh shape.
    Which one should come home with me?
    Or should I gamble a buck and get both?
    I am not a major fan, but I would like to have a nice collection of her songs in my music library.

Jarleboy likes this.
  14. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

It will cost more in gasoline to get home. Buy both.

Jason Pumphrey likes this.
  15. Jason Pumphrey

thanks will do, I guess both have the redone 1961 version of Walking after Midnight, correct?

16. .crystalised.

.crystalised. Forum Resident

There's a glitch heard on "Just Out of Reach" in the MCA box?

17. BradOlson

If the copy of 12 Greatest Hits with the black cover in the thrift store is a club copy or a very early store copy, that will have the 1957 Walkin' After Midnight with the easiest being the club copy as clubs did NOT update their master. I have the 2003 HDCD labeled disc, but I really checked if it is really HDCD and it isn't.

18. BradOlson

There are BMG Club copies of the MCA box that have the glitches (I have one of these copies), store copies don't, and there are other club copies that don't have the glitch.
    The glitches as detailed by MikeP5877 »

If you come across used copies of the boxed set and they are BMG club copies, make sure to listen before you buy if possible.

.crystalised. likes this.
  19. Jason Pumphrey

Thanks, I always thought club versions were just clones of the ones sold at stores.
    I'm not sure if the club's pressed thier own cds though, I'm pretty sure that the companies made those copies for the clubs to sell via licence putting the club info were the UPC usually was.
    Although I believe the clubs used thier own custom UPC'S later.

Anyway, both versions play the same version of walking after midnight with the Jordanaires backing them, hence the 1961 version.

Off to find a club version in the future...
    I believe the original pressing is all mono as well.

20. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Any love for the Time-Life.....it includes the 50s version of 'Walking after Midnight' !

[​IMG]

I've got both and enjoy them a lot !

21. .crystalised.

No love for their art department. The cover art looks more like Sigourney Weaver than Patsy Cline. How's the sound quality? I've never heard these compilations.

22. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

I think they sound pretty good. I believe Dennis Drake mastered a few, not sure of the exact ones, there are several artists reissued thru 'The Country Music Hall-of-Fame as these are. Decent liner notes too...I have no complaints especially since I got mint condition ones for 99 cents at Goodwill. :D

.crystalised. likes this.
  23. .crystalised.

Can't go wrong with that price and condition. The compilation appears well programmed and includes some of Patsy's 4 Star highlights alongside her signature songs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.