What's the best sounding Patsy Cline?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by efhjr, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I also have the 2LP set pictured in post #49 (Patsy Cline Story) on Decca. Great mono sound, but I think my copy has some groove distortion.. :(

2. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

I just picked up the Patsy Cline Collection 4-CD set brand new from BMG Music and I'm hearing strange noises hear and there.

For example..

First song, disc 2 (Just Out Of Reach), I'm hearing noises at 0:08, two back-to-back around the 11-second mark, and two more at 40-41 seconds.

Can someone who has this disc play their copy and tell me if they hear the same? These discs show no scratches or marks at all.

Thanks!

3. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Another example:

Disc 1, song #14 (The Heart You Break May Be Your Own)

1:19 there's a hiccup or "blip" on the word "alone"

and again at 2:14 - same noise, same word ("alone"). It sounds like a record skip.

Anyone else hear this?

4. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

5. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Thanks Claus. "Just out of Reach" sounds fine in your sample so it looks like I have a defective set.

6. Espresso

Espresso New Member

The box set is a great choice, although it does appear to use some type of noise reduction. There's a 2CD/40 song set called The Definitive Patsy Cline that appears to use the same mastering (and cover art) but also has 5 songs that aren't on the box set.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:avfwxqerldae

I have one called "The Very Best of Patsy Cline" from 1996 that sounds great. The muted highs on the box set versions are quite noticable when compared.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:kbfuxq8dld0e

Attached Files:

7. jhsjhs

jhsjhs Active Member

I just picked up the Patsy Cline Showcase Decca mono vinyl. It is terrific, and not that expensive. I think I paid a bit less then $20 shipped. Definitely worth it. There are numerous copies on ebay.

McLover likes this.
  8. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

+1 to Decca 60s MONO vinyl--the best way to hear Ms. Cline. 60s Decca STEREO is not bad, either.

--Tom

McLover likes this.
  9. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

I found a near mint reissue of the stereo Patsy Cline Story 2 LP set on the MCA black & rainbow label pressed around 1974 and it appears they were still using the old Decca stampers as the sound is warm and rich and is better than the CD IMO.

Like to hear any of Patsy's CD's that come at least real close to the sound of this LP.

10. TLMusic

The 70s MCA stereo pressings are nice, but pressed on thinner vinyl than the Decca originals.

11. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

True.

Great sound either way, but finding a clean 60's Decca original will keep you busy for a long time.

12. Brian W.

Brian W. Senior Member

Have "Who Can I Count On" or "Lovin' in Vain" ever showed up in mono on CD?

13. TLMusic

You are correct--I was very lucky to find a few clean Decca titles many years ago. I have not encountered any playable ones since.

--Tom

klukejohn likes this.
  14. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

Found a clean Decca mono "Showcase" for $3 recently. Decca mono is IT.

15. keoki82

keoki82 Active Member

To my knowledge - and I'm a Patsy completist - "Who Can I Count On?" only appears on the CD reissue of Decca's posthumous 1964 LP "A Portrait of Patsy Cline" and The Country Music Foundation's 1991 4-CD Collection. In both cases it is sourced from the 3-track stereo with the harmony overdub. I've never heard this track without the harmony vocal, even on the mono vinyl.

"Lovin' In Vain" appears on MCA's 1986 "Songwriter's Tribute" compilation (available on CD) as well as the 4-CD collection from 1991. Both are stereo mixes. It also made an appearance on the 1995 compilation "Patsy Cline Sings More Great Songs of Love" but I do not have this CD nor have I heard it if it is stereo or not.

In my experience, the earlier CD reissues and compilations of Patsy's work (80s, early 90s) are more likely to have mono mixes. In the past 15 years or so, compilations have sourced stereo mixes whenever possible, the two obvious exceptions being "Imagine That" and the 1962 version of "You're Stronger Than Me" (which served as the flip side to "So Wrong" on the original 45 single). "Imagine That" most often appears mixed to mono, and the "YSTM" remake has only ever appeared in mono, despite all other material from the recording session having been issued in stereo.

16. keoki82

keoki82 Active Member

I've also heard the blips on "The Heart You Break May Be Your Own." Every copy I've ever heard, be it on vinyl, cassette, CD, etc., has these audible artifacts. I'm assuming it's on the master.

17. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

This gal is in competition with The Who and The Doors for the most compilations ever! :eek: :laugh:

Here's a couple other CDs out there that I'm interested in hearing your comparative sound quality views:

"A Portrait of Patsy Cline"
    MCAD-224
    Old Style MCA disc with an almost-plaid back cover
    Mastered by Glenn Meadows, Milan Bogdan, Jim Lloyd and Benny Quinn

"The Ultimate Collection"
    (c) 2000 Universal Music
    2 CD set
    Mastered by Doug Schwartz

... plus I don't think anyone ever responded to an earlier post which asked about the mastering and sound on the Gold CD (which I think is "12 Greatest Hits).

18. McLover

McLover Senior Member

The MCA Gold disc of Patsy Cline/Greatest Hits was mastered by Glenn Meadows at Masterfonics. Sound improved a little over the standard disc but not as fine as MCAD-12R with the original cover art (the current one which is cheap). This current remastering is a demo disc for sure. The new one was mastered by Bob Ludwig at Gateway Mastering. I love it.

19. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Is the MCA Gold Disc Mono or Stereo?

20. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

the gold disc is stereo. its the best cd on Patsy I've heard. I love the mono early disc as well. I've made a twofer out of those.

21. McLover

McLover Senior Member

MCA Gold Disc uses the Stereo mixes (the old Decca DL 74854 content). Sounds very nice. I like the new MCA issue even better. MCAD-12 R. Bob Ludwig's mastering on this one is amazing quality.

22. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

:confused: What is revisionist about this album, other than the remake of "Walkin' After Midnight"?

23. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

yeah, I'm curious about this statement as well. For what it's worth, the Patsy Cline Story cd is by far the worst sounding Patsy cd in my collection...so I had to rip an early vinyl Decca copy which sounds awesome. it's a fave, well except for Tra-La-La-Triangle...:sigh:...oy vay on that one.

24. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Oofah, yeah not a fan of that track either.

25. I know this is not what you asked for, but my favorite Patsy Cline CD by far is "12 Greatest Hits" on MCA. Some songs may sound better on other releases, but it's hard to beat this title if you just want a record of Patsy Cline's best records.
    There's not a less than stunning track on "12 Greatest Hit".

FritzL likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.