What's the best sounding Patsy Cline?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by efhjr, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

Call me insane, but I'm a big fan of Patsy's classic sound and I also love the 1980 "Always":

[​IMG]

2. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

no, its great you enjoy this....Certainly when I got it, I was intrigued by the idea, I just prefer the originals, but you cannot deny that voice no matter what the accompaniement...

I would love to see some beatles albums redone with modern instrumentation, maybe some Timbaland...hahaha....that'd make this forum quite amusing for a while....

3. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Speaking of Jim Reeves..... There was also an album from 1979 that featured singer Deborah Allen "duetting" with him on a few songs.

Now back to our Patsy Cline thread.

4. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Yes,

And on this mish-mash you could hear the tape hiss of the inserted vocals on a nice system too. One way you knew you had a fine system.

5. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

MCA did one with Jim and Patsy's hits on one CD (or was that just Lp and Cassette?)..it featured a great "Electronic Duet" of "I Fall To Pieces"..i wonder how they'd gotten the right from RCA,tho'....they're notorious for copyright protections!:confused:

6. Khojem

Khojem Forum Resident

Was the 1980 version of "Always" released on CD?

EDIT: This says that only Always had newer overdubs. Is Wiki wrong?

7. DJ WILBUR

it was released on cd. all the instrumentation was newly recorded and added to Patsy's accepella vocal tracks....not sure what "overdub" means on this wiki site... but new music and old vocals married together...every track....thats the album called "Always".

8. efhjr

efhjr Idler Wheel Enthusiast Thread Starter

I held a couple of the Decca mono LPs in my hands at the Austin record convention last week, but they were well out of my price range. Gorgeous heavy vinyl, and I'm sure they sound stellar.

Now I know what to look for on eBay and antique shops.

9. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

Like hearing her for the first time - warm, analog, mono goodness...

The Patsy Cline Story - 1963 2 LP compilation featuring unreleased tracks - Decca DXS-7176

Tracks:

1. Heartaches / 2. She's Got You / 3. Walking After Midnight / 4. Strange / 5. Leavin' On Your Mind* / 6. South Of The Border / 7. Foolin' Around / 8. I Fall To Pieces / 9. Poor Man's Roses / 10. Tra Le La Le La Triangle* / 11. True Love / 12. Imagine That* / 13. Back In Baby's Arms* / 14. Crazy / 15. You're Stronger Than Me / 16. Seven Lonely Days / 17. Sweet Dreams* / 18. Your Cheatin' Heart / 19. San Antonio Rose / 20. Why Can't He Be You* / 21. Wayward Wind / 22. So Wrong* / 23. I Love You So Much It Hurts / 24. You Belong To Me.

(*) Not on original LPs

10. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Has this been maximized?

Any link to the cover & description please?

11. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

I have some Patsy Cline MCA 45's that are in Mono and appear to have Decca Matrix Stampers

12. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Has anyone else heard this time-life set...any good? Who mastered it?

13. rpd

rpd Senior Member

But you need the original CD for the original version of "walkin' ", correct???

14. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Actually, the original Walkin' After Midnight is common on CD. Just get a compilation of her early 4 Star recordings or the boxed set and you'll be good for that. The Varese compilation "25 All Time Greatest Recordings: The 4 Star Years" is one of the best sounding of these CD comps. For vinyl, get the self-titled Decca album in its mono form or the 45.

15. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

You are on the right track. The 1960s Decca recordings do sound great in stereo as well.

BTW, pick up a copy of Margaret Jones's Patsy Cline biography which does have her discography http://www.amazon.com/Patsy-Life-Times-Cline/dp/0306808862

16. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Simon A,

There should be a photo on www.amazon.com. MCAD 12-R is the one you need with the original style cover art. That isn't mastered too loud and has identical dynamics to my original, heavily played Decca Stereo LP copy. The remixes are very faithful to the originals. The original CD has a cream colored looking cover. The new one smokes that CD.

supermd likes this.
  17. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

The radio transcriptions and live recordings were no-noised but I don't think the studio recordings were nr'ed.

The box states that:

"Whenever possible, original three-track tapes were mixed direct to digital, with every effort made to match the integrity of the original mixes. Tape hiss is at a minimum and has not been filtered out at the expense of ambience or transient response. All tracks are in their original state, with digital equalization added only to enhance the reproduction of the performances".

C6H12O6, starduster and bmoregnr like this.
  18. DJ WILBUR

the box set sounds great, sequenced well and often priced very affordably online. its a no brainer.

starduster likes this.
  19. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Can anyone else comment here?

20. rpd

rpd Senior Member

No one??????????

21. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

Room--

Is there anything wrong with the original MCA CD of "12 Greatest Hits"? I quite like the sound of it....

Am I gathering correctly that a newer version of this is better? Just makin' sure...

22. DJ WILBUR

is it all in mono? there is a version all in mono that is pretty rare....i like the sound of the early MCA mono cd, havent heard the stereo one myself.

23. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

24. I have both the 70's reissue lp and the 80's reissue cd (shown in post #2)
    and love them. The cd is a tiny bit thinner sounding - it's bass-shy compared to the vinyl.

Attached Files:

25. Spitfire, can you tell us who mastered that 2004 comp?

(edit- allmusic says "Doug Schwartz"; I've never heard his work personally,
    although he did the 1988 Chess Boxes on Chuck Berry, Howlin' Wolf and Muddy Waters.
    Anyone here like the sound on these?)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.