What's special about the Beatles white vinyl LPs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fmuakkassa, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Ben Sinise

Ben Sinise Forum Reticent

ALL??? :confused:
    I have many Australian coloured vinyl pressings that are as silent as they come.

2. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I don't know if you're around 11 years later, but is your yellow MMT the Parlophone U.K. issue from the 70's? I have that one; the sound is quite a bit less than great. It uses the Capitol U.S. master with the duophonic tracks and doesn't even sound as good.

3. Tom in Houston

Tom in Houston Forum Resident

You are correct. I believe it has been confirmed in this thread itself, maybe, that this yellow pressing is from the inferior Capitol-assembled collection.

I was hoping for better sound, when I bought it. I vaguely remember being disappointed. Still, it was part of a set, so I wanted it.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Reopened by request.

lahtbp likes this.
  5. Fawltykog

Fawltykog "Nothing Is Real"

Kinda wished they had knocked out the White Album on white vinyl for the 50th anniversary edition, Sgt Pepper & Abbey Road both got nice picture disc releases shame old whitey missed out.

6. Pianoman99

Pianoman99 Forum Resident

The most special thing about it is the price... ;-)

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  7. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

The music! :)

Even Revolution 9. :D

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    lahtbp likes this.
  8. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I thought I found a UK white White Album a year or two ago at the store and was excited based on this thread until I opened it and saw the purple labels.

NOPE.

9. TheHutt

TheHutt Forum Resident

The German White DMM is exceptionally good-sounding. Great bass, trebles and intricate details, while still sounding natural (unless later German DMM cuts).
    Though that's not without issues, too. I didn't quite like some weird pumping loudness effects on Yer Blues, and the missing pause before Cry Baby Cry is quite unusual.

Actually, that very same cut of the album has been used well into the 70s, so no reason to pay surplus for that SMO. Just get a 1973 1C 192 version, same result.

ODShowtime and bluemooze like this.
  10. geetar_await

geetar_await I heart Linux.

i used to have LIB on white vinyl, might've been UK. and wish i'd kept it.

lahtbp likes this.
  11. lahtbp

lahtbp Forum Resident

Steve, one of the members mentioned in another thread that the UK White LP is authentic to what John Lennon wanted in terms of sound and EQ. Do you know anything about this?

12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Sounds like hogcrap to me.

13. lahtbp

lahtbp Forum Resident

Hi Steve, do you prefer it to the German DMM LP? If so, why? Thanks.

14. Ben Sinise

Ben Sinise Forum Reticent

Yes, different metal plates were required but it was pressed by EMI at Hayes, intended as a smaller production run for export.

If you look at the label area you can see a different record profile was used, the same for the white vinyl Let It Be album, green vinyl Abbey Road LP and yellow vinyl MMT, all one-off bespoke offerings.
    They were pressed on the older machines at Hayes rather than the high speed fully automatic presses.
    This was because any individual machine that was used to press a coloured record had to be isolated from the usual vinyl feed lines coming from the vinyl pellet storage silos that ran throughout the plant.
    It was then a matter of setting up a new coloured vinyl feed and extruding some 40 odd pounds of waste vinyl in order to get a clean strain before pressing the actual coloured record.
    It wasn't a process that EMI was overly fond of.

By contrast EMI in Australia farmed out their coloured vinyl production to Festival Records.

15. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

I just picked up a white UK copy of "The Beatles." It sounds amazing (beats my black UK vinyl copy from 1978). Although we're talking small increments here.

marcb and timnor like this.
  16. TheHutt

TheHutt Forum Resident

Interesting. For the price surplus on the white vinyl UK, I would have expected an acoustic revelation.

17. LitHum05

I think someone else mentioned this. It has a definite presence lacking in the other.

18. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Really? It’s not uncommon at all - with records and many, many products - to have to pay a significant premium for a small incremental gain in quality/performance.

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  19. Square Hammer

Square Hammer Forum Resident

I only have an LP rip (PBTHAL) and it sounds incredible on headphones and my system.

drift likes this.
  20. alanhed

alanhed Forum Resident

A friend has a French white vinyl copy that sounds fantastic. Beautiful cover and glossy band photos. I have a MFSL issue myself that sounds amazing to me. Haven't ever seen or heard a UK white copy.
    Maybe some day.

21. culabula

culabula Unread author.

This thread prompted me to have breakfast with The Beatles - choosing from among my many copies, the MFSL pressing. It seems to get a bad rap around these parts and I don’t know if it’s because it’s the first time that I’ve played it since acquiring a Hana ML 18 months ago, but to these ears this rainy December morning it sounds quite superb.

DK Pete likes this.
  22. LitHum05

I’ve since changed my view on this (which prompted the response you responded to). The White Album UK on white vinyl is the very best stereo pressing I’ve heard. Better than any US and better than a standard UK from that same era. It’s not a small increment in sound.