What 'Snake Oil' item actually improves Performance

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by allied333, Dec 10, 2022.

1. allied333

allied333 Audiophile Thread Starter

I am considering $5.7K speakers, but a lot of money. I am on the fence about it. My present Revel M22 with tweeter upgrade are serious speakers. I only use a TT and it is also a serious player with Ortofon AS-212 tonearm and HOMC cartridge. My tube amp is also great after using many other tube amps and I rolled about every possible tube with finding the best.
    What have you done to increase the performance of your stereo with an accessory? Power conditioner, but I believe my power is clean as it does not change late into the early morning unlike some areas? However, a power conditioner is not out. I am using Blue Jeans phono cables, I doubt I would hear much improvement with more expensive cables thus cables are out.
    Ideas?

fretter and siebrand like this.
  2. P3ESRXD

P3ESRXD Arnaud, still enjoying...with what I have

My last "snake oil" improving listening,
    is very little know ...;)

Not with adding something, but kind of "cut",
    last time, it was shortening speakers cables.
    Strange thing, I cut the cables in half,
    and unbelieving "flatten out" the listening on my well know records.

I can not even BA test, now that the cables are cut.

Dirty Bertie, bajaed and action pact like this.
  3. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

The very definition of 'snake oil' means they just don't. :crazy:

Spend your money on a meal out or something actually useful.

4. allied333

I
    I got extra money.

Chris Schoen, chodad and siebrand like this.
  5. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Discover something new to listen to. Spend your disposable income on music instead of gear.

6. allied333

I do that all the time. I did buy best of Doobies on Walmart Green album a week ago. Does not have the dynamics, I need to buy an earlier album.

Triffid and Glmoneydawg like this.
  7. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

H0w about a $60.00 fuse? :-plnktn-:

Ampexed and kundryishot like this.
  8. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

If you want to listen to one of the best sounding album, I can easily guarantee you these albums will sound good on "any" stereo.
    Especially the On the Night (1993 live album).
    ............If you like his music.

[​IMG]

9. allied333

No.

10. ondrej

ondrej Forum Resident

For example, the disc I think I spy in ATR’s avatar. Is that Ronald Shannon Jackson’s Decoding Society?

11. ondrej

ondrej Forum Resident

A great record. I’m going to pull it out to play today.

ATR likes this.
  12. ATR

ATR Senior Member

It is. I produced Eye On You.

CDFanatic and ondrej like this.
  13. Naka9

Naka9 music first audiophile

First, I recommend you to listen the new expensive speakers side by side with our Revels, not only because it is a serious amount of money, but also there is a chance that they will not be the upgrade you expect, mainly because it can be wrong in your room and with your existing system. The speakers performance will be dictated by all the other variables in the system and room acoustics.
    I am saying this because lately I have been done some experiments with different types and brands, of speakers and amps (different price points) and the conclusion is: it is all about synergy!
    A cheaper (well designed) speaker can easily outperform a much more expensive one with certain components... you will be surprised how this is true!

For that money you must always try at home first... and try more than one type of speaker :)

In my opinion (in the bookshelf department) the sweet spot for top speakers is around $3000-4000, with interesting options from Reference 3a, Totem, Dali, Harbeth, ProAc, etc.
    Also you can try at home for 30 days (or more) the cheaper-but-performing Buchardt S400 MkII and return it if it doesn’t suit your taste.

As for power conditioners, I strongly recommend the Puritan PSM136. It transformed my system, making every component silent and the sound better. It is not cheap though.

seikosha likes this.
  14. Tony C.

Tony C. Forum Resident

I think that you missed the point of the quotes, which indicate that others may believe such a product to be "snake oil", but the owner(s) would beg to differ.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2022
    siebrand, Aftermath and Big Blue like this.
  15. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Snake oil means it doesn’t improve performance.
    So this question is pointless.

Wngnt90, qwerty, johnny q and 7 others like this.
  16. allied333

I put the Snake Oil in parenthesis. Not pointless. Hello, anybody home?

Dyland, labreahouse, bcwsrt and 11 others like this.
  17. Tom Littlefield

Tom Littlefield Forum Resident

See the message above yours....

"Snake Oil" in quotes..

Brother_Rael likes this.
  18. Oelewapper

Okay so you’re looking for something that’s not snake oil.
    You should define “snake oil” first, otherwise you’ll likely to get mostly useless suggestions since people have to guess its meaning.

daglesj likes this.
  19. Tony C.

Tony C. Forum Resident

Plenty of people believe higher-end (i.e. relatively expensive cables) to be "snake oil", but countless others, myself included, have had experiences that lead us to believe otherwise. I have never paid retail prices, but have auditioned and owned plenty of different cables, and found there to be differences. In some cases, the differences were very obvious.

There is no doubt that many audiophiles are influenced by confirmation bias, etc., and I am certainly not immune. But the reason that I don't accept the blanket skepticism often shown by "objectivists" is that there have been more than a few times over the decades (I've had systems since the early '80s) in which my reactions were the exact opposite of what would be expected of confirmation bias. In other words, I wanted the (sometimes newly acquired, sometimes more expensive) gear to sound better, yet it didn't.

A few years ago I upgraded my power strip to an Isotek EVO Sirius (one of their lower end products, but not cheap), and the differences were obvious. In fact, the flat screen TV that was attached to it was the most obvious, as the picture improved sharply (no pun intended). Of course it is possible that my electrical source wasn't good, and/or that my previous strip was faulty, but there are obviously times when such devices can make a substantial difference. Would it have been better than a less expensive device? I don't know, but as the build quality was high, and I got a nice discount, I didn't care to test.

I used a pair of Inakustik speaker cables for a while, and their design is rather unusual. Small strands of copper around plastic pieces which ensure a column of air inside of them, and thin jackets. At one point I noticed a low hum coming from the speakers, and, after trying a few different things, decided to use some glasses to lift them off of the floor. The hum disappeared. Now, many argue that "cable lifters" are snake oil, but in that context they made a substantial difference.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2022
    MGW likes this.
  20. Tom Littlefield

Tom Littlefield Forum Resident

Last year I bought this...

SPEC Analog Disc Sheet AP-UDI

This is a lacquer-encased aluminum turntable disc that is very smooth, completely stiff, and is medium thickness (about 2.5 mm). It is expensive, I paid
    $270 shipped directly from Japan, it retails for $350.

I was using an Achromat and this blew the it out of the water. More detail and dynamics a more like you are there experience with the music

Tlay, Freddy's Dead and Sugar Man like this.
  21. allied333

My post is asking about an item that is not the actual music playback system, but an accessory that actually performs. There is not enough room in the title to post all of this. Ok?

barfko and chris8519 like this.
  22. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Hard drugs.

/s

23. allied333

I am using cork mat with raised round posts and an acrylic platter on top. Dead quiet on an Lenco idler TT.

Roger C likes this.
  24. Oelewapper

Okay so “snake oil” means accessory.
    That word should fit in the title.

superstar19 likes this.
  25. allied333

I believe snake oil covers more than the word accessory. Are you actually having a major problem with the title considering your many replies?