What HD-DVD, Blu-ray disc, or D-Theater tape have you gotten lately? (Part 3)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by SamS, Aug 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmt

dmt Forum Resident

Speed Racer.

Shame about no lossless audio and the BD-25, but pretty good nevertheless.

2. Santo10

Santo10 The Hot Corner

Watched Anchorman on HD DVD last night. It was quite a bit funnier than I remember it being and I certainly didn't remember how many stars it had in it. The Jack Black scene was great. It's probably one of Will Ferrell's three best movies (Stranger than Fiction is the other one that pops into my head)... I usually can't stand him.

3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

I'm going to try and watch this one tonight.

I preordered The Godfather BD Triology today. Amazon seems to have a pretty fair price ~$62 with free shipping. For some reason, Amazon keeps giving me an additional 5% off, I think it's due to the HD DVD fiasco.

4. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I can't believe I have to order this series again (for the third time). :D

It better look fantastic.

5. Peacekeepr73

Peacekeepr73 Digitally Remastered Member

Even tho it seems recently bought LaserDiscs may be off topic but i must brag that i just got Army Of Darkness and Pink Floyd's The Wall Movie!! :goodie:

6. Rando

Rando Active Member

7. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Is the trend for prices dropping? I was just at Hi-def Digest and observed that The Day The Eearth Stood Stille (1951) was announced at the $35 price-point. I don't think any other Fox-MGM title has been announced under $40...?

Does anybody remember what Amazon's original price for The Godfather set was? I'm thinkin' that when I first checked it out they were wanting around $80. I thought to myself, no way. Well, I checked it out again and it was $61 and I said yes and preordered.

Are prices gonna trend downhill from here? I hope so....

8. Rando

Rando Active Member

The original price was indeed around $80. I knew they'd lower it, so I went ahead and preordered at that price.

I got an email from Borders advertising it for $61.79 (including coupon savings) day of release.

Prices on some titles are dropping. Amazon has/had a sale where you could get Clockwork Orange or The Shining for $13 and change.

9. Rachael Bee

Warner's intention to drive down prices is well know, so, there's nothing too suprising about their deals. Paramount and most especially Fox have been tried hardto maintain high prices.

10. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

I wish they'd drive down the price of Cool Hand Luke. $15 ($19.95 list price) would be about right.

11. Rachael Bee

I bet we'll be able to get Cool Hand Luke on sale for a price we wanna pay in the next few months. What's it been out a week or two? I want a copy myself but I'm feelin' very patient lately.

12. We have seen some small price reductions. Prices for Blu-ray hardware and software is better than I thought it would be at this time, so I sure have no complaints. Predictions are for $150 Black Friday players and hopefully some software specials, bundled with players and separately. If I hadn't already purchased the first two Godfather films on both LaserDisc and DVD (actually the box set with all 3), I would sure bite on the Blu-ray set.

Chris

13. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Today at the local FYE, The Departed HD DVD (rare non combo version!), brand new for $8.99 (sold as "used" since someone had traded it in).

14. Rachael Bee

I was just over at Hi-def Digest and they're announcing that Fox is gonna release the Planet Of The Apes films seperately also. 4 November has the whole collection and the original coming out. Then a week later you can get the rest of the series seperately. The list price is now down to $35 each.

I'd like to have the first two and maybe the third.

15. I just ordered these Blu-ray titles:

Heroes Season 2
    Pioneer HD AUDIO Demo 2007 Blu Ray
    Shine a Light : Rolling Stones Documentary
    Peter Pan (Korean Import)

I had rented "Shine a Light" and I almost never buy things I have rented, but I liked this one so well I bought it anyway. I even own several Rolling Stones concerts on DVD, but this is just better, despite the fact the guys look like they were made up to be extras in a zombie film.

Chris

16. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Picked up "Pushing Daisies: The Comnplete First Season". It looks and sounds very nice, but the Dolby TrueHD track indicated on the packaging was nowhere to be found.

Regards,

17. Rachael Bee

I'm gonna have a big week of Blu viewing. I just got 2 U.K. imports, Great Expectations & Black Narcissus. I have L.A. Confidental & The Godfather set coming soon from Amazona. :goodie:

18. Santo10

Santo10 The Hot Corner

I opted for the free shipping on The Godfather set... I wonder if I'll still get it this week? I guess I'll find out soon.

19. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

... and that was what helped me to decide to buy it. I think they should offer to refund the difference in price between this and the SD DVD set, since if I wanted lossy sound I could have paid less.

Did you see in the first show how she's wearing hot mits to take the pie out of the oven and then a split second later isn't wearing them, but still holding the pie. Must have hurt.

20. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

To be fair, the 640 kbps track on the BD sounds really nice and almost certainly better than a 448 kbps track on a DVD would. Its just the whole truth in advertsing aspect that bugs me. The show looks amazing in high-definition.

Regards,

21. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

I ended up cancelling The Godfather BD set, the red cast on III that I saw on the review sites scared me off. Although I have part I coming from Netflix tomorrow.

22. Rachael Bee

I suprised ya'all believed a TV show was gonna have True audio. I would just assume a misprint if I saw a TV BD listed as True.

23. Rachael Bee

If anybody needs a basic BD player <read no advanced codec decoding... Amazonia has the Sony BD300 for $199.98 . Mine works really well after a couple of firmware upgrades.

24. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I can vouch for the BDP-S300. I don't own a ton of Blu-Ray discs, but I haven't had any problems with it (actually, I think it froze up one time, but I think I was playing a DVD). I loaded the first few firmware updates, but the last three I've received I haven't bothered to load.

The latest firmware I got in the last few weeks (4.20 I think?) adds Dolby TrueHD audio decoding if I'm recalling correctly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.