What HD-DVD, Blu-ray disc, or D-Theater tape have you gotten lately? (Part 3)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by SamS, Aug 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

What is 24p and what benefit does it offer?

2. Rando

Rando Active Member

To quote Wikipedia:

"... 24p formats are being increasingly used for aesthetic reasons in image acquisition, delivering film-like motion characteristics."

3. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

I still don't know what benefit that would be. The motion is different? That makes no sense to me.

4. Rando

Rando Active Member

To me, it's more like watching a film in my home vs. watching a video of a film in my home, if that makes any sense.

(Update: The "Transformers" issue I reported earlier was a FW issue with the Panny BD30 and 24p. It's since been fixed by Panasonic, along with some fixes for the new Kill Bill discs and a few others. Found the problem listed on the AVS boards.)

5. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

For anybody interested, I've got a new website under construction, but the forums are fully operational. You're all invited to come on over an join up if you please. :)

Blu-rayDefinition.com

6. I've picked up in the last couple of days:

Kill Bill: Volume 1
    Kill Bill: Volume 2
    Shutter
    Untraceable
    End Of Days
    March of the Penguins

7. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

I recently picked up: Every Which Way But Loose, and The Gauntlet.

8. Dream Operator

Dream Operator New Member

My undestanding of 24p is this... (please correct me if I am wrong)

Film runs at 24 frames per second. A TV like my Panasonic TH-42PZ700U 1080p does not have a 24p mode, so it operates at 60fps. 24 does not go into 60 evenly, causing motion to not be as smooth.

I find that I don't notice motion issues unless the camera is being panned fast. I have not had the chance to compare a scene on a 24p set to see if it is smoother.

I recently picked up Yes: Live at Montreux 2003 (Blu-ray).

Love it! Love it! Love it! Love it! Love it! Love it! Love it! Love it! Love it! Love it! Love it! Love it!

A great performance, nice mix and stunning visual quality, IMO. :edthumbs:

9. Santo10

Santo10 The Hot Corner

Finally picked up a PS3 on Friday to go along with my Toshiba HD-2. Also picked up A Clockwork Orange and Cool Hand Luke as our first two Blu-Ray discs. We plan on christening the player with Paul Newman and George Kennedy tonight. :)

10. Rando

Rando Active Member

"Kill Bill" is stunning on Blu. :thumbsup: I'm hoping the Godfather restorations look equally as stunning.

11. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

My copy of How The West Was Won just trickkled in from Amazonia. I'll be trying the Smilebox presentation tonight....an' I only need one player to display all 3 sections of the Cinerama picture.... :laugh:

12. Santo10

Santo10 The Hot Corner

I've heard great things about that particular disc from HTF... sounds like you're in for a treat.

13. Rachael Bee

I hope you served hard-boiled eggs instead of popcorn as snacks... :laugh: Congratulations on the new player!

14. Rachael Bee

Criterion, I love you!:goodie: 18 November, The Last Emperor. After watching all the dismal films announced by majors.... :goodie: ...somethin' to feel good about.

15. Santo10

Santo10 The Hot Corner

You know, it's amazing how you can notice something new no matter how many times you watch a film. I've seen CHL at least a dozen times and didn't realize until last night that Joe Don Baker is one of the inmates in the road gang in an uncredited role.

It was also funny to watch the accompanying documentary and see the actors disagree on how many eggs Paul actually ate in that scene.

16. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I got it on Friday. Put it in the player and watched it straight through. I liked Smilebox and found it worked best sitting closer to the screen than I usually would. Awesome picture, though the 70mm inserts in some of the action scenes really stand out in terms of lower quality.

John K.

17. Rachael Bee

Greg, did you spot Willie Nelson?

18. Santo10

Santo10 The Hot Corner

No, where was he!?

19. Rachael Bee

I don't remember the time/spot but It's an elevated shot looking down on the work farm and the guys are sitting on a porch around Willie playing guitar. It's been awhile since I viewed the film. I'm going to pick up the BD sometime.

You might get a glimpse of him in another scene but I can't recall where else, if any.

20. Santo10

Santo10 The Hot Corner

Wow, I guess I'll have something new to look for the next time I view it.

21. Rachael Bee

I watched the Smilebox version last night and was pretty pleased with it. The rafting segment looked just as fake-y as I remembered.

I watched about half of the Cinerama special feature. I got too tired to continue. Really, I was enjoying that more than the movie. I'll finish it tonight. I'll take atleast a look at the reg-lar widescreen too.

22. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Smilebox version. You mean the picture is shaped like a smile? I've never heard of that.

New disks gotten lately:

• Pushing Daises (from Best Buy, priced at $34.99 but price-matched their website $28.99)
    • East Is East HD DVD
    • I am Legend HD DVD
    • Phantom of the Opera HD DVD (used, only $8.99 and the case has feet)
    • Eyes Wide Shut HD DVD (used, now I have it on both hi-def formats)

23. Rachael Bee

Sort'a....the pic is narrower in the centre and curves wider to each corner. It's an attempt, fairly successful IMO, to simulate the curved screen of Cinerama.

It's not a particularly good name but they can't think of anything better, yet.

I got Pale Rrider on BD today.

24. Santo10

Santo10 The Hot Corner

25. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

Dark City & The Adventures of Baron Munchausen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.