What HD-DVD, Blu-ray disc, or D-Theater tape have you gotten lately? (Part 3)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by SamS, Aug 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Recieved Pale Rider on Blu-ray from Warner yesterday.

2. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

You know Lee, I should've thought of that. Since the price is only a few dollars more than a rental, and I have been meaning to see it.

I may be placing another order! It looks like they've also added some other titles since I placed my order.

3. JohnG

Seabiscuit was the DVD used to calibrate my SXRD a few years ago, a great transfer. I would imagine the HD-DVD is even better.

4. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Seabuscuit is one of the finest HD-DVD's in my collection. :thumbsup:

5. JohnG

I don't have Seabiscuit on HD-DVD. Guess I should pick it up cheap from somewhere while I can. :)

6. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

$7.99 brand new at inetvideo.com !

7. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

3 blu-ray today from the local FYE with the Buy 2 get 1 for 50% off deal and other discounts

• Nightmare Before Xmas $23.22
    • Starship Troopers 3 $20.82
    • 21 $10.41

For those with the loyalty card, if you renew before the end of this month you get 20% off any purchases made at the same time.

8. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Picked up The Adventures of Baron Munchausen on blu at BB with their 10% off coupon. I was going to pick up Golden Compass also. But it was $34.99 at BB, 29.99 at Walmart and 24.86 at Walmart.com.

9. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Received today from overseas, All The Boys Love Mandy Lane.

Says Region B on the back, but plays on the Samsung so it must not really be region coded.

Defaults to dolby digital so you have to select dts HD.

Attached Files:

10. I picked up Unbreakable and Men In Black yesterday. I'm not sure why as I still have a significant back-log of Blu-rays to watch.

11. JohnG

I picked up Seabiscuit in HD-DVD from an Amazon seller today. $9 shipped.

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Ah, I worked on Mandy Lane, and I'm surprised it actually came out in Blu-Ray. DP Darren Genet did a very good job on that one.

I just watched the movie 21 on Blu-Ray last night, and thought it might be the best-looking digitally-photographed film I've ever seen. Camera was a Panavision Genesis, and the DP was Russell Carpenter, who is a superb artist (deservedly won an Oscar for Titanic). Really nice looking film, and shows you how far digital capture is coming along.

Another really good-looking Blu-Ray title is Walk Hard, also shot digitally. As much as I depend on film for my livelihood, when the DPs get this good with digital, it makes me sadly realize how motion picture film's days are numbered.

13. There have been quite a number of reports of releases with single region coding indicated on the case and/or disc falsely. What I haven't seen is any mention of that where both all region and single region versions are availabe. In other words, so far I think once a title has been verified to be all region, it is safe to assume it will be if you purchase it. I am going to guess that won't always be true and we will end up with some titles having both versions.

Chris

14. rauer

rauer Forum Resident

I have _very_few_ BDs so far. A couple of days ago I bought 3 from a 3 for 2 special batch. One of them was Gangs of New York, which I think is a great movie. Then I read the reviews... It seems this one is among the worst high def releases ever. :thumbsdn: Crap. I haven't opened it yet and considered changing it for something else. Unfortunately most of the films in that batch are ones I wouldn't touch with a pole and some I have already on DVD and usually don't upgrade for a principle.

Blah.

15. I liked "The Ruins". It does have a couple of beautiful 20 something women in an horrific situation, probably the most common theme in horror films for the last few decades, but otherwise, I consider it above the average horror film and it is certainly disturbing. I liked "The Mist" better but can't think of another recent horror film out on Blu-ray I have seen that I like better.

Chris

16. Rachael Bee

I opened my copy and enjoyed watching it. It looks better than the DVD, no question.

I never saw the film theatrically. I'm not sure how the film is supposed to look. I respect what the critics are saying about Gangs. On the other hand, I've enjoyed my copy.

I don't wanna endorse making BD's only marginally better than DVD's, but flawed BD releases are stille, generally, pretty darn good. Until studios make all great, new HD masters, there's gonna be quite a few BD's that don't live up to the format's promise.

If you like the movie, keep it, watch it. It could be a long ime till a better version appears, if ever...?

17. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

It did look pretty good, and that's just about the only positive thing I can say about the movie. The other thing being I liked the music in it.

18. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

East Is East finally dropped in price on amazon UK. They promptly sold out of it. Says "Available from these sellers." now. I got my order in. Just hope I get it.

19. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Outbreak [TrueHD] is pretty cheap on amazon right now. Under $15.

20. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

I must like talking to myself.

Here's todays arrival from the UK for about $108 total charge.

Attached Files:

21. AVTechMan

AVTechMan Forum Resident

I read that the Matrix Trilogy will be finally released on BD next month according to what I saw on Amazon, and also that the Animematrix will now finally be in 1080p. Around $90 from what the preorder price is right now.

22. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Animatrix is why I want it. Sure is a bunch of money for one disk though. I never did buy any of the previous versions of the box, so at least it's not a "double dip".

I do have the individual disk of "The Matrix" HD DVD which I bought used from Hollywood Video for about $15.

23. Rachael Bee

I hope you get a copy. It's a terrific film and well done disc. If you don't get 'cha one, you have to figur it'll roll out on BD in the next year or two.

24. Rando

Rando Active Member

I pre-ordered the Godfather and Kill Bill sets from Amazon on Blu. I couldn't find cheaper prices anywhere, and having Prime shipping is a plus.

On another note, I rented "Transformers" on Blu and it totally choked my Panny BD30 player when set at 24p -- the disc wouldn't load and the player would freeze. If I disabled that option, the disc loaded perfectly. Yep, I have the latest FW.

25. Rachael Bee

I got my first Warner budjet title, Every Which Way But Loose for $14. Warner delivers what Fox delivers for a street price of $21 less, basically.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.