What HD-DVD, Blu-ray disc, or D-Theater tape have you gotten lately? (Part 3)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by SamS, Aug 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

I guess it's not really a HD-DVD but received a 3.0 Toshiba update disk in the mail today. That's pretty nice of them. It's for the HD-A3. Sent in for this several mos. ago when I received a "free" A3 with the Toshiba 42" set I bought. I don't currently use the machine.

2. I had Dark City for Blu-ray on order before the screen shots were posted. DNR is used throughout in a negative (as opposed to grain management) fashion. Still, the film does look quite nice compared to the previous DVD and doesn't quite look as bad as "Patton" did but it's hard to spot any film grain in it which gives you an idea as to how much DNR was used.

Yep, there are halos and othter digital artifacts from the use of edge enhancement. Sadly, from what I understand this is the best we're going to see the "Director's Cut".

On the other hand, this film is only 10 years old.

3. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I also received the 3.0 firmware for the HD-A3 last week, and I wasn't expecting it considering I had received the last update they sent me (2.0 I think) awhile back, but after the announcement that they were ending HD-DVD. If they actually developed the 3.0 firmware after that announcement, it is a bit impressive that they continued to work on that. But I dunno, maybe the firmware updates are in development months and months ahead of when we actually see them.

I also finally received a firmware updated a few weeks ago for the HD-A2, the first one I had received after sending the card in December I believe. I think it was something like 2.8. The HD-A2 is just packed away for when I ever might need it, so I just stuck the firmware disc in with it incase I want to install some day.

4. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

On the other hand, I'll wait for another edition. I, so, so, wanted this title but I'll wait. After all I've seen and read, I can't even bring myself to buy a copy. I wouldn't be suprised to see an international version pop up....although wee-Jun Kodes have been popular with these guyz.... :shake:

I decided to get Earth The Biography instead of Dark City this week from Amazonia. I'll be here in a day or two.

5. Rachael Bee

I don't know if I'd install 3.0 unless your deck is chokin' on something. I put 3.0 on my A1 because I thought it needed more help than my newer decks. I have 2.0 on my A35. It's just not doing anything wrong as a 1080i player. There's some folks that have reverted to 1.3 over at AVS. I also recently got the 3.0 disc for my A2 and again, I'm not gonna install it because the deck ain't sinned or froozen or nothin' since the first two firmwares.

I'm done installing firmware to my A35 and A2 till they malfunction and seem to need somethin'. Those two 3.0 discs are gonna sit in reserve in case of a rainey day. There's always a small chance of these deck going loco maximoso after one of these firmwares. I don't wanna be one of the "lucky" few.

I've used my A1 and A2 quite a bit lately. I watched Forbidden Planet and The Invisable Boy on my A1 over the weekend. They're functioning without fault as far as I can see.

6. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

LG BH200 to the rescue then. There are "hacks" on AVS. So far I haven't received any blu-ray disks that aren't region-free, but I may end up with one eventually.

7. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Got Two Books (my 1st) for $42US (used); Retail Is $70US!

BD: "NBK" book
    BD: "B&C" book
    BD: "The Warriors" [I didn't like this movie, seen on HBO/Cinamax back in the day (80's), just everyone seems too like it so much & PQ reviews are great so... $12.99US used sold!]
    BD: "PtI" vvv
    Yeah, read the reviews: they say pick this title up cause its glorious! :laugh:
    Do not remember this flick; so should make for a mellow mid-week viewing.
    B4 the Olympics start! :goodie:

8. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Are there hacks for "Blu"?
    There are for SD DVD's; didn't know it would play all regions of BD's.
    Thanks from a fellow pleased BH200 owner.

9. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

10. Rachael Bee

In today from Amazonia, Earth The Biography. I'm watching the first segment presently, nice.

11. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I am 3/4's of the way through watching Lonesome Dove, or, with the added matting, I suppose I am 3/4's of the way through watching 3/4's of Lonesome Dove. :)

In any event, on the included interview with director Simon Wincer, he mentions that they screened it in widescreen for press prior to broadcast, and he was very happy to be able to release it on video that way for the first time. If he's on board, I'm not going to complain.

It certainly is an improvement in image quality. The image develops extra video noise during (infrequent) optical effects and (more frequent) on-screen titles shots, presumably since they were originally created in the video domain. This was barely an annoyance for me, and I am happy that they did not replace the original titles or effects.

The sound mix is a bit weird, with foley effects way up front in the mix to the point of distraction. I have not compared it with the prior DVD yet, but did manage to tame it into something more listenable with some modest dynamic range compression.

Regards,

12. Rachael Bee

I enjoyed Lonesome Dove very much and was suprised how good it looked after the 4/3 DVD I had previously seen. There were some shots that could of used a bit more height, I thought. The detail looked great and there sure wasn't excessive DNR.

In from Amazonia today, Human Body : Pushing The Limits by the Discovery Channel.

13. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

It's GREAT 2B PURPLE!

"Beowulf" 2 disc HD DVD NEW (sealed) $14.99US
    (some may have gotten it cheaper, just I got it trading in SD discs)
    "No Country For Old Men" BD $14.95US NM (used)
    (good too see the not-futz-with reviews this is getting for PQ)

14. Rachael Bee

Busted Buy has a bunch of stuff on sale this week. I went by and got Vantage Point and The Bucket List for $23 each.

15. Bucket List is a good film. If you haven't seen Vantage Point, I would have recommended a rental or avoid on that one, I saw it at the theater where it quickly came and left.

Chris

16. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

the Doors

17. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

In Toronto I've been buying loads of Hd Dvd's. Walmart Canada has been selling lots of great titles at 2 for $10. Future Shop (Best Buy's sister chain) has been selling HD Dvd's at half off sticker price and now some FS stores are selling all remaining stock at $4.50! A great time to pick up a great hi-def library for a song:winkgrin:

Most recent Blu-ray purchase is Close Encounters deluxe edition. Making it's way to me as I type.

18. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

I see Disney is releasing Nightmare Before Christmas on blu Aug. 26th. I'll be picking that up. Just ordered a 40GB PS3 as my player.

19. I wonder if they'll do it in 3D as well.:candy:

20. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

I was hoping. But, it's not listed on the specs.

21. Rachael Bee

I had several friends encourage me to watch Vantage Point. I basically watched it twice trying to sew it all together. In the end, I thought it pretty ho-hum.

I finally got around to The Bucket List last night and enjoyed it. It wasn't as funny as I'd preconcieved but I liked it quite a bit. I feel like I got my money's worth on it.

22. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Buy Used!

BD OZZFEST 10TH
    BD Shine A Light
    HD DVD/DVD Knocked Up
    All for $42.36 w/tax NM used; "SAL" MSRP alone is $39.95US w/o tax/shipping & only took 3 wks for me too get it! :D
    Combo are GREAT!!!
    Cause my 200's down & out. :shake:
    (motherboard)

23. I picked up this lot of Blu-ray discs:

Corpse Bride $14
    First Knight –[Sealed] $15
    First Sunday –[Sealed] $14
    King of California $12
    Saw II $14
    The Rookie –[Walt Disney] $14
    Wrestlemania XXIV -Sealed { 2 discs } $16
    Drillbit Taylor $15 -Sealed
    The Ruins $15
    The Sum of all Fears $17 -Sealed
    Clear and Present Danger $17 -Sealed
    Patriot Games $17 -Sealed

Or $115 for the Lot

24. And this lot of HD DVD's from DeepDiscount DVD:

1***GEO075196* * * HDD : NG-RELENTLESS ENEMIES* * ***$* * 8.99* In-stock
    * ***1***WBD011151* * * HDD : EXCALIBUR* * * * * * * * ***$* * 8.99* In-stock
    * ***1***WBD014263* * * HDD : BATTLE OF THE BULGE* * * ***$* * 8.99* In-stock
    * ***1***WBD014267* * * HDD : THE WILD BUNCH* * * * * * * $* * 8.99* In-stock
    * ***1***WBD014269* * * HDD : WYATT EARP* * * * * * * * * $* * 8.99* In-stock
    * ***1***WBD015714* * * HDD : TWILIGHT ZONE-THE MOVIE* ***$* * 8.99* In-stock
    * ***1***WBD016787* * * HDD : THE MATRIX-ULTIMATE COLLECT $***28.99* In-stock
    * ***1***WBD019054* * * HDD : THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT TRILOG $***19.98* In-stock
    * ***1***WBD079847* * * HDD : VIVA LAS VEGAS* * * * * * * $* * 8.99* In-stock
    * ***1***WBD080942* * * HDD : THE SEARCHERS* * * * * * ***$* * 8.99* In-stock
    * ***1***WBD080953* * * HDD : A CLOCKWORK ORANGE (SE)* ***$* * 8.99* In-stock

Chris

25. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

"Open Season" on sale at Best Buy for $19.99.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.