What HD-DVD, Blu-ray disc, or D-Theater tape have you gotten lately? (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by -Ben, Dec 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Let's see -- Blade Runner (delux 5-disk) last week, then Dracula, and last night picked up "300" for $19.99 at BB. And, yes, the Blade Runner package is just excellent, with all the bonus content, and the 35 minutes or so of out-takes.

BTW, my copy of DRACULA came with no program / insert; I had them open another copy at BB, and, again, no insert. What gives?

(Also, i had emailed SONY to get an insert, not really wanting to waste a whole package just for the insert, and they referred me back to the retailer, which is really a wasteful way to do it!)

2. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

How do you know if Dracula comes with an insert. Most movies don't anymore.

3. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

I don't know? (Hence..."what gives?")

4. Bram Stoker's Dracula on Blu-ray never came with an insert. Studios for the most part have eliminated these types of things for cost reasons. Expect it only on very premium releases. A few early copies did have a slipcase though if you're an obsessive collector.

5. The current Blu-ray of Black Hawk Down is the theatrical release at 144 minutes. The director's cut at 153 minutes remains unreleased on Blu-ray(it is available on dvd). It would not surprise me if we see the director's cut released in the next 12 to 18 months.

6. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

I got Spiderman 3 with my new PS3.

7. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Just finished BD of "Close Encounters." Wow. Finished BD of "Blade Runner" a couple of nights ago. Wow.

Liking this BD stuff pretty well. :)

8. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

So, do you have the deluxe edition with all 3 cuts of CE? (I/m waiting for the nice price on that.)

9. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I'm not sure, but I think "Close Encounters" was only released on Blu-Ray as the 3-disc deluxe version. I think the three cuts are all on the first disc via seamless branching. I have this on order from Amazon (via Target.com since I had a gift card). Amazon has it for $32 or so, which isn't bad for a 3-disc set. I kept searching for a cheaper price, but couldn't find one. Actual brick-and-mortar stores like Target and Best Buy had it for $38-$45 or so when I looked recently.

I was also curious about the recent "Blade Runner" sets, because it seems like most Blu-Ray discs tend to sell for $20-$30 or $35, yet I see that the 5-disc "Blade Runner" Blu-Ray (and HD-DVD) set seems to be selling for around $27-$30. How did that happen? Are most other discs overpriced, or is the "Blade Runner" set just underpriced?

10. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

I've had "The Day After Tomorrow" as well as the Smithsonian flick, "The Dream Is Alive" for a month or two. Both are absolutely amazing. The one I'm waiting for is "Twister". It was supposed to be out this month but it's been pushed to April.

Ed

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I make a very good living color-correcting film for one of the biggest post houses in LA, and have done so for almost 30 years. My entire livelihood depends on film, and I champion the look of film at every opportunity I can. The subtleties of halide particles on emulsion capture light and color in a way that's far beyond the capabilities of even 10K digital cameras.

There are good things and bad things about digital cartoon animation. In the case of The Simpsons Movie, it looks pretty good, and it made me laugh. And I'm speaking as a longtime Disney and Warner Bros. fan, going back many decades.

This show (and every other American primetime animated series) has been completely digital for at least 10 years now. It ain't a crime to admire the work of good artists, writers, and actors, regardless of the medium.

I have a different opinion about movies that try to duplicate reality with digital tricks, like Beowolf, Final Fantasy (which I worked on), and Sin City. Those movies bother me, because the digital tricks tend to snap me back to reality. But cartoons are in another category.

12. claypool

claypool New Member

"Close Encounters" has been released only as the 3-disc package. It's a great package though, it has a lot of extra content and even a small book and a poster :)

One of the "Blade Runner"'s disc is just an ordinary DVD, but it's still a bargain. It contains four (!) different versions of the movie and the picture quality is great.

13. I understand why Warner would not release some of these old catalog titles that won't sell, but sure wish they would release them anyway on Blu-ray. "The Adventures of Robin Hood" HD DVD was a meager seller, no question, but I own it and would buy other deep old catalog titles if released on Blu-ray. HD DVD doesn't sell much to begin with, why try a release like that only on HD DVD?

Chris

14. I took my girlfriend to see Superbad at a movie theater, she warmed up and laughed a lot, but I was really concerned at first. It is very vulgar and very stupid, but undeniably funny if you can laugh at such absurdity. I would never have shown it to my mother. Of course your mother is likely closer to my age than my mother's age so she may be good to go with it.

Chris

15. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

The scarcity and cost of 50 gig BD's last year and Blu's then lack of finished spec's for extra material is what has prevented Warner releasing Robin on BD. Now, the poor sales of the deep catalog titles on HD-DVD is what's holding back Warner, apparently. If Robin had sold better, it would likely be out on BD already.

Apparently, of all the Warner catalog titles, Mutiny On The Bounty on HD-DVD is the absolute worst seller. It's sold less than 600 copies, world wide.

Maybe Warner will bite the bullet and catch Blu up on the HD-DVD exclusive titles titles this year? I hope so. At this point, Blu needs more titles across the board.....

16. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Close Encounters is 2 disks. The 2nd disk has the extras. I haven't played the 2nd disk yet.

Blade Runner is a good deal. 3 high definition disks, 2 standard DVDs.

They probably could have got $10 more for Blade Runner.

17. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Amazon is running BOGO on 96 blu-ray titles:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=346206501&pf_rd_i=507846

FWIW, my 10% discount still appears to be working today.. so an even better deal if you can find titles you like.

No kidding? I rented that one. Barely made it through without dozing off! ;)

With sales numbers like that, it starts to make me wonder just how big of an impact Netflix and Blockbuster have on HD/BD sales figures. I've been pretty stingy with buying next-gen titles. I have hundreds of SD DVDs, many of which have only been watched once. I don't want to repeat that experience with $$ BDs & HD-DVDs.

18. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

Twister was my first DVD. You just can't beat a flying cow for pure entertainment value!

:laugh:

19. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

My Mutiny On The Bounty disk is still sealed after all these months. It's worth $6 credit if I trade it in at FYE. Getting tempted.

Casablanca is worth $6 also. Need to do some 2008 house cleaning.

20. Rachael Bee

No kidding! A guy at AVS said he wanted to print up Mutiny On The Bounty for the few, the proud owners of the disc. I suggested, front = I don't need no stinkin' Bread Plant.... back = I have Mutiny On The Bounty on HD-DVD.

I like the movie OK. I enjoy seeing a young Anthony Hopkins in it particularly. It looks good on my TV. Some folks with dee-luxe projectors say it has some colour issues when projected bIG.

ubsman, I'd suggest you hold on to your copy of MOTB. It could end up being rare and sought after on down the line...? It could age in to squat on the other hand...? It may never get released again...? Who knows..... it has the potential to be rare though.

21. Rachael Bee

What, I see flying cows all the time in those "eat more Chickun" ads. I say you really can't beat burning cows and yodelin' too in Mars Attacks....then as a BBQ lover, I'm proably biased....:laugh:

22. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

LOL! I actually forgot about that. Really, though, the sound on that thing is tremendous. I can't wait to hear it in TrueHD Surround.

Salivatingly yours...

Ed

23. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Much better BOGO titles for Blu-ray than for the HD-DVDs.

24. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

The 10% deal still works today for those who have it. I picked up Good Night, and Good Luck for about $2 less than what the HD DVD is worth as a trade-in at FYE. That's not the only movie I bought.

25. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Now you're making me hungry. Is KFC open today?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.