What HD-DVD, Blu-ray disc, or D-Theater tape have you gotten lately? (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by -Ben, Dec 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Yes, it does. It also has the highest bitrates I've ever seen for a disc. My PS3 reports many scenes hovering around 40Mbps! Short movie + 50GB = super high bitrates.

Will do, thanks.

2. Matti Saari

Matti Saari Senior Finn

I just checked TrueHD track of my BD copy (bought from Amazon UK) using headphones (so listening was done in 2-ch) and didn't hear any dropouts. So maybe mine is OK or I have a hearing problem. :D

3. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

Odd, my order - which is awaiting shipment - has a January 5th shipping date on it. So I guess we'll see. Since I got it for cheap via an Amazon sale I can wait. But then, I'm not a hard core LD fan either. Just wanted the disc.

4. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

What sale was that?
    It may just occur on certain players. What player are you using?

5. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

Oh god, it was so long ago I don't remember. All I know is I ordered it with another disc and while the second has laready arrived, my order for TSRTS is scheduled to ship January 5th.

6. Matti Saari

Matti Saari Senior Finn

I'm using Sony BDP-S1E and analog outputs to my 2-ch system.

7. GregM

GregM The expanding man

It looks not unlike the cartoon on TV. I love film. I love the look of it, the actual grain and noise unique to film. This is analogous to getting the analog noise of tape on a good Steve Hoffman remaster. If you like the lifeless, sterile look of digital animation over living, breathing film...different strokes, i guess.

As for the Song Remains the Same TrueHD track, the problem is minor, especially considering the source. I don't know what anyone is whining about. One post on one forum and suddenly everyone is ringing their hands.

8. balzac

balzac Senior Member

At least the Simpsons Movie was 2-D. I didn't feel like they were trying to emphasize the look of the movie over the content. When I see most of the 3-D CGI movies, I often come away feeling like the movie stressed the importance of aweing the audience with the look more than the content/story of the film. This is touched on in a couple of the trailers for the Simpsons Movie, where it starts out with a fluffy, cute CGI bunny in a field dancing around, and then cuts to Moe announcing the movie will be in 2-D.

I do agree that there is a look to actual film that can't be beat. I still prefer live-action films to be shot on film, not straight digital when being shot and exhibited.

9. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

If ya wanna see HD cartoons with grain, the Adventures Of Robin Hood HD-DVD has one with Bugs Bunny and another...I forget who's in it.... Who knows when it might hit BD, reportedly, it's sales were very meager on HD. It's a great looking disc on HD.

It's a shame catalog sales have been so disappointing for Warner. They have a flock of stuff ready to release, such as Singing In The Rain that's on hold, apparently. A Warner insider told me Singing In....was ready a year ago.

I hope Sony does well with Life Of Brian. It looks better than I thought it would....

10. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Is this out yet? I need an excuse to replace my Criterion Collection version.

FWIW, I saw an HD DVD copy of Led Zep "Song Remains The Same" at my local Best Buy, so several of those musta got out. And I think you buy it at their online store. This whole TSRTS BD/HD version recall sure has me perplexed :confused:

11. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

No, she bought the UK Life Of Brian.

12. GregM

GregM The expanding man

My own suspicion is that WB released these without getting approval from the artists. Page/Plant have a history of nixing plans when they are not brought on board to sanction the project from the start. Frankly, if I was Plant, I would want to nix any release of this film. He performs abysmally through much of the tracks and there is very little usable footage (thus the need for the horrid introductions that include Plant parading his children naked in front of the camera and the bizarre "fantasy" sequences needed to make it a feature-length film). If anyone wants my blu-ray copy, it will be on ebay shortly. Not because of the negligible drop-out but because as good as the upgrade was on the BD version, the more it reminded me how much I don't like this film.

13. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I can't disagree with you there... but the most painful part of watching the disc is all of the gratuituous Plant crotch shoots :eek: I understand the Spinal Tap-nature of it all, but by all accounts, it borders on ridiculous!

14. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Yeah, there are so many great old catalog titles from all the studios that I'd love to see. While I was aware of it prior to buying into HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, it didn't completely hit me until I had the players and actually started shopping for discs that the vast majority of titles are new and recent movies. It also seems, not unlike DVD in general, that sometimes when we get a relatively old catalog title, like "The Omega Man", it only even made it out as a tie-in to a new movie.

So I guess if they have a remake of "Singing in the Rain" in the works, you might get the original in HD! :)

15. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Black Hawk Down BluRay

16. Is this the director's cut of the film that was extended? What are the big differences compared to the original release?

17. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Not sure to be honest. I'm watching it now and the picture quality is phenomenal!

18. Rachael Bee

Yeah....wanna go to the stoneing? ;)

19. Rachael Bee

My BD of Superbad finally trickkled in via today's Post.

20. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Don't watch it with your Mom :laugh: :laugh:

BTW, I've gotta nominate Blade Runner as the best HD release I've ever seen. The picture is great, but the extra features put this in a league all of its own. I can't believe what I got for $25.... 5 cuts of the film in HD, and at least 5 hours of extras.

In the old Laserdisc days, they woulda wanted $300! And the quality wouldn't have even been in the same league ;)

21. Rachael Bee

Sam, my mom likes Something About Mary. She might tolerate this...? :laugh:

22. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Hmm... maybe. But don't say I didn't warn ya :laugh:

23. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

One of my favorite scenes in that movie is when the MILF mom bends over to talk into the car and reveals the twins. :angel:

24. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Amen Bro. :agree:

Hilarious scene. :D

25. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

What's MILF ?

Best Buy has this blu-ray for $19.99 this week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.