What DAC are you using?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Sneaky Pete, Mar 6, 2023.

1. Can Utility

Can Utility Forum Resident

Cyrus QXR. Via my Cyrus Pre2 amp.

Oddiofyl and KramerTC like this.
  2. eis01

eis01 Forum Resident

Well... It's one of things when we start wondering what something else will sound like and if it's better (whatever that means). SO - Out went the Lumin and in went a PS Audio Direct Stream Dac Jr and an Antipodes Edge transport/streamer. But does it sound better? Yes it does, but more different than better. Better stated - "I like the music presented by the DSJ & Edge combo better".

Sneaky Pete and Ham Sandwich like this.
  3. LINKO

LINKO Active Member

Lots of great information in this thread! I have an ASUS desktop with 4TB drive connected to an old Musical Fidelity V-DAC ($349). I listen with my main system (vinyl & redbook CDs). I use Foobar 2000 and have many Flac files of downloaded and ripped CDs on a large HD. For me the progression of audio quality generally goes LP - CD - Computer. (some LPs and some CDs are better than others).

I am now upgrading from the old V-DAC to a new Mytek Libert II. I hope it is worth the investment ($). The Mytek has much better quality (components/power supply/design).

I owned an Audio Research (ARC) CD-2 and was able to find a pre-owned CD-5. That made a big difference in sound. That was a difference between 1996 and 2008 in terms of DAC technology.

I expect going from 2008 to 2023 technology (Mytek liberty II - Sabre ES9038 384K DSD256 chipset) will be as much an improvement over my V-DAC (DSD1792 chip and SRC4392 upsampler, Burr-Brown) as my ARC CD-2 to CD-5 was.

Boltman92124 likes this.
  4. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

LINKO, Welcome to the forum.:wave: Please let us know how your upgrade sounds.

5. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

I wouldn't assume a bitstream ESS DAC is any better sounding than a classic multi bit Burr Brown config IMO. More capable with some high res formats perhaps. Mytek is a great brand though. Enjoy!

Designsfx, Kyhl and rodentdog like this.
  6. greasepaint

greasepaint Loser's game.

Texas Instrument (Burr Brown, at least I think it is a Burr Brown) PCM 1681 as implemented in a ten year old Yammy AVR.

Coltrane811 likes this.
  7. Sliphorn

Sliphorn Well-Known Member

Geshelli Labs J2S AK 4499 with Sparkos SS3602 opamps.

8. bacobits

bacobits Forum Resident

Been with Schiit a. Long time. Yggdrasil since my beginning.
    Now a Yiggy+ with less is more boards and a CEC TL5 Transport.

rodentdog and Steemax like this.
  9. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Hopefully this will be worthwhile, because well thought out and implemented file playback should equal (or often exceed) CD playback. Also note that the ES9038 Pro chip has been in use for at least 7 years, so only the filtering and output stage of the Mytek can be considered "2023 technology" (and even in this area it is unlikely to be different than 2017 technology).

10. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

I am happy with my Chord Hugo 2 and will be using it for many years.

shug4476 and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  11. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

SMSL SU-9N, I'm very happy with the sound connected to my Sony x800m2 player. For a cost of around €700 for both its perfect for my needs as I'm primarily a vinyl person. Sound is revealing with a nice bass response.

12. Zomax

Zomax Digging for Fire

Late to the Denafrips craze but just replaced my Topping D70 with the Ares II/Enyo. Listened to Dylan’s Blonde on Blonde Sony SACD before and after. Unless my eardrums were shot after that first harmonica blast on the Topping, I think the Denafrips is much more listenable.

Bachtoven and rbbert like this.
  13. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Denafrips Venus, which arrived today--whoa! That R-2R technology is no hype--the music definitely sounds more natural and realistic.

kumizi, Slimwhit33, Swann36 and 4 others like this.
  14. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

Benchmark DAC 3 HGC. Probably end game for me if it doesn't die. Turn 64 on Friday, sounds fantastic to me, and I'm sure my ears will fade a bit in the next 10. Enough inputs, and XLR and RCA outs makes using sub easy, 24/192 Qobuz plenty, and a great HPA. Pretty darn happy right now; concentrate on enjoying tunes going forward.

ossidian, Swann36, TimM and 2 others like this.
  15. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Nice! Some of the hype with Denafrips relates to the ability to play around with both NOS and oversampling. So explore. Roon (using their MUSE DSP settings) can do some good quality oversampling to high sample rates using linear phase or minimum phase filters. Try those out, as well as the NOS.

Bachtoven likes this.
  16. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I tried both OS and NOS—I prefer NOS for classical music, which is all I have played so far.

17. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

Mainly using the DAC built into my Arcam AV9 at the moment. There is a PLL for 44.1 and 48kHz signals, but not for 96kHz, and it doesn't support 192. So it sounds fantastic with the former two, and merely 'good' with 96kHz (where measured jitter is 200x higher).

I still have a Chord Mojo which I connect to the Arcam's analogue inputs for a serious listening session.

I recently owned a Chord Qutest, but moved it on fairly quickly. It did not impress me half as much as the Hugo 2.

I am stalking (with intent) an Arcam D33 on eBay - fingers crossed I manage to get hold of it at a reasonable price.

18. Mike_West

Mike_West Member

My DAC journey started with the Cambridge audio Azur 851N with stops at the Naim 272 and ultimately the NDX2..this is it for me ..just amazing music via Qobuz streaming. Acquired and sold a Qutest which just left me flat but I know it’s got many fans.

19. LeeJB70

LeeJB70 Well-Known Member

My first standalone dac was the Cambridge Audio Dacmagic. I have since owned Chord Mojo 1&2, SMSL SU9 and Chord Qutest. I now have the Chord TT2 partnered with the MScaler for my desktop setup. I also used to own active speakers with built in dacs, namely the AVI 9rss and KEF LS50ii. I currently have the KEF LS60 in my living space.

TarnishedEars likes this.
  20. Donivey

Donivey Forum Resident

Many DAC's: Chord Mojo, AQ Cobalt, Border Patrol SE, SMSL D300, SMSL D0100, AN 2.1x Sig., Denafrips Ares, Geshelli J2, Ayre Codex, PS Audio DSJr., Hegel H160 (built in), JOB Integrated (built in).

TarnishedEars and ossidian like this.
  21. winged creature

winged creature Forum Resident

I am currently using an Exogal Comet Plus. It replaced the Gustard R26 and a Hegel P20 preamp. The volume control on this DAC is excellent.

22. Audiobliss@67

Audiobliss@67 Well-Known Member

I currently am using the Dac in my oppo 105
    Still have a Cambridge audio C550 spinner connected to a original dacmagic.
    I use both ... different sound signature the oppo is clean ,fast and detailed. The Cambridge setup is a warmer laid back sound...both sound very good!

23. vintage_tube

vintage_tube Enjoying Life & Music

Update to my post #351 awhile ago --

dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC with the dCS Upsampler Plus & matching clock.

Best to all,

Bob

24. Melkboer

Melkboer Forum Resident

Benchmark DAC3 HGC. Still very pleased after a few years.

25. ossidian

ossidian Forum Resident

Have been using an McIntosh mda1000 with good results. My end game is to find a used Modwright Elyse, but they never come up for sale.

vintage_tube and jonwoody like this.