What audio toys do you want Santa to bring you?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LeeS, Dec 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Well...that's a little bit beyond my price range! LOL I'm only a mortal man!

I've always loved the 4300 series speakers. But I'm married now, very content with my present speakers, so that is pretty much out of the question, and way overkill for my needs anyway. But I do love those JBL 4300 series speakers!! Those 4345s would be perfect.

I've seen Kendrick site (probably mispelled Kendrick). Do you guys know how much speakers like the 4345s would cost, 'not including' the outrageous shipping charges?

Just picked up a pair of the 'all elusive hard to find rare' 1979 Sansui AS-300s. $160 plus $90 shipping! LOL. :>). I'm a happy camper, my 7th pair of speakers. But they are nice. Just have to do a little refirb on em, caps and work on one woofer with a slight buzzing sound on only 2 songs on 2 different CDs (one song on Bob Dylan 'Desire' and another song on Steely Dan 'Greatest Hits'). Think it will be an easy fix when I can get to them. Cabinets are 99% and the grills are 100%, but with 40 years of dirt on em! Been lookin for those AS-300s for 4.5 years.

That's a bit more my speed and my desire, but I've heard the 4300 series back in the day and they are 'wonderous'.

2. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan Thread Starter

Early gift today. Zu Mission phono cables. Pretty impressive even well before break-in. Imaging and detail are standout features so far. With teflon dielectric I need to let them settle in a good bit.

3. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Yeah, I hear ya, but what's your credit card limit? You'll be in debt, but you'll have an awesome pair of speakers!

As far Kenrick goes, and I'm just throwing this out there for everyone's info, yeah they're at a premium...a yen to dollar conversion says their 4345s are $7626, plus shipping. I dunno how much shipping is...you'll have to ask Kenji, the co-owner.

For that price, you can get the 1400 Arrays which will probably outdo the 4345s in everything but the bass.

Well, if you're happy with what you got, that's all that matters!

4. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

I knew that you would like them. They are the standout features for me, too. And they will get even better, sweeter and smoother the same excellent imaging and detail. The imaging performance is really quite impressive.

5. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I'm hoping for a Blue-Ray player...

6. LeeS

Agreed. Lots of depth/width in the soundstage. Listening to Royal Ballet Gala Performance on Classic now. Lots of precise instrument location across the orchestra.

:righton:

7. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

JBL 4345

:laugh: HA!

8. drh

drh Talking Machine

Not quite as far along as you, but I have the same sentiment.

That said, Santa came early this year and brought me the chance to buy, at surprisingly modest to giveaway prices, not one but two things that I thought I'd never be able to afford. Mind you, I'd have preferred that they not turn up in the same month, but I've been having a lot of fun playing with these toys.

Oh, and did I mention my thankfulness for spousal forebearance? ;)

Attached Files:

9. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

I've really been thinking about one of these over the past couple of months -- wondering how all the loss less files of needledrops I've been uploading to my hard drive would sound run through one of these and into my system...gotta factor in cables, though...

Dale

Attached Files:

10. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

David, you're going to have a lot of fun with the Slee Jazz Club. I caved and bought a Graham Slee ERA Gold Reflex M this week just because it was a "giveaway" price.
    Of course, I had to familiarize myself with all the different models, and I can see how someone who has a great collection of oldies and 78's, would love this little box of tricks.:thumbsup:

Here's mine

Attached Files:

11. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Awesome! I have a '59 Thinskin Reissue Jazzmaster, and love it, what a warm sounding and beautiful guitar. Not as easy to play as some, but worth the effort.

12. Troyh

Troyh Forum Resident

My new RP1 is underneath the tree as we speak. (Along with the new Petty, Harrison, and Costello LP's.)
    Come on Christmas......

13. LeeS

Dale,

I got a chance to listen to the one at TommyTunes. Sounded really top notch to me.

14. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

4345s are $7626. I was thinking maybe $5500 at a guess, and shipping would be Very Costly! Only 2G off!

I'm happy with my speaker systems. I'd love to have some 'great' speakers but it's really not necessary, my speakers sound fine. I'm very happy with them. The Sansui AS-300s do need a crossover restoration but that's no problem. I'll get to it someday, they sound good now, even with 40 year old caps! LOL :>) They sound good, it's amazing they even work! The Japanese sure built quality caps back in the day.

For me...if it sounds really nice...it is really nice!
    * As long as the cabs are in minty shape too! :>) *
    and...they got to be box speakers with very nice bass.

I picked up a pair of minty Sansui AS-100s at the Goodwill for $9.98. haha. All I can say about those is that they look and sound amazing. Wish I had them years and years ago! Not bad for 40! 1 cap on the tweet...that's it.

:edthumbs:

15. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Santa can bring me unjaded ears open to new music.

16. motorcitydave

Yeah, you're gonna wanna go air freight on those. So, another $1000, $2000?

Well, that's cool. As long as you're happy that's all that matters.

I dunno, according to the JBL rep in my region, he contacted the engineers @ JBL and he told me that the 1400 Arrays would outperform the old studio monitors. Of course they wanna sell me new product. But, I can see the mids and highs being better in the 1400s due to the more advanced driver technology. However, I'm willing to bet the 14" woofer of the 1400s can't compete with the 18" of the 4345. So, like anything else, it's a trade-off.

Also, if I do buy the 1400 Arrays, I gotta make sure I get a made in USA pair, and not one made in China and/or Mexico!

The search continues...until then, happy listening!

17. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Shiny Dog

A Les Paul and a Marshall Plexi would be nice!

18. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

:>) :edthumbs:

19. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Santa came early this year, as he brought a Sony BDP-S770 Blu-Ray player last week. Given that and the fact that I got the SCD-XA5400ES earlier in the year, that's it for hardware for awhile. Of course, there's always music. :D

20. motorcitydave

:cool::thumbsup:

21. Chordeater

Chordeater Forum Resident

This year I asked for a way to carry all my Pop/Rock/Soul music with me, and Santa is coming with an iPod Video 5th Generation modified with a Toshiba 240 GB HD and rockbox'd to enjoy the fantastic Rockbox (http://www.rockbox.org/) EQ features.

22. Natt

Natt Forum Resident

If you don't need balanced, the HRT II or II+ is just as good methinks.

23. Did you get that modified locally?

Best Wishes
    David

24. stuwee

stuwee Forum Resident

Whirred peas :D

Folks who know what a turn signal is :agree:

1957 Ferrari Testarossa, V12 magic sound system of cams and carbs :edthumbs:

Something with Pilot on it would make me smile....:pineapple:

25. Chordeater

Chordeater Forum Resident

Hi David,

no, as far as I know there are two eBay sellers (one in USA, the other in UK) that sell these modified iPods. I don't post the eBay link cause I think is not allowed ... but you can find the bids easily.

Regards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.