What are your rarest CD's?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Oct 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. What's rare? Got two CD's that friends of mine are pretty jealous about because they're hard to find over here:

Deux géants du Jazz (a compilation of songs by Django Reinhardt and Sydney Bechet from the period 1953-1963. (Vogue 1986).

Live & Alive from Dire Straits on (for me) an obscure German label called Imtrat. It's a live album from a concert at the "Tower Theatre" in Philadelphia on March, 3 1979.

2. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Yo! You shouldn't throw your CD's on the floor. :D

I have the McCartney "Once Upon A Long Ago" CD single, UK I think. I recognize the two Beatles Sony discs, the Stones Rewind must be an early pressing, and is that an Aerosmith wooden box in the top center?

3. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

I've never seen or heard that one before.

4. the 801

the 801 New Member

Any one remember this lil' sampler? I only wish my copy had a stem!

I got it sealed for $3.00 in a MediaPlay cut-out bin a few years ago...

Attached Files:

5. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Yup, that's the UK single with the Elvis Costello tracks (Good CD EP)! The Aerosmith is the black leather one in the upper left that you cannot tell just what it is. The wood box is an REM. There are some of the Apple CDs along the right, a Paul Simon Rythm of the Saints is the colored box in the lower left, next to the Donald Fagan Promo on Giant of the NY Rock n Roll review (who remembers that?)

6. japes

japes Senior Member

:bigeek: You dog! Can you play the videos on these?

7. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Yup! You need a LaserDisc player to play them, and they work fine. They will not play on PCs or DVD players!

The Dire Straits "Walk of Life" is a real good one, so is the McCartney "Once Upon a Long Ago". I really like that song, and it was never released here in the USA. Very odd......

8. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I recently traded away that Dire Straits "Sultans of Swing" CDV pictured on the bottom left. It was pretty frustrating to never see the video on it. The disc was a cool gold color, though.

9. Brian W.

Brian W. Senior Member

Now, don't laugh at my musical taste, but these are the CDs I'd grab first if the apartment were burning, simply because they'd be the hardest to replace:

The Japanese Captain & Tennille CDs of their original albums -- Song of Joy, Come in from the Rain, Dream, and especially Make Your Move, which regularly goes for over $200 on Ebay

Some of my promo CD singles that are really rare -- Whitney Houston "So Emotional" with the 7" edit and 7" dance mix edit (only place to get them), the promo CDs of Madonna "Express Yourself" and "Like a Prayer," both of which have remix edits never issued elsewhere.

Reader's Digest The Great Band Era -- don't know why it's so rare on CD, but in three years I've only ever seen it twice on Ebay... and I've only managed to snag discs 1 through 3.

My commercial 3-inch CDs of Madonna's "Like a Prayer," Michael Jackson's "The Way You Make Me Feel," and the Japanese CD3 of "Rock With You," all of which contain the rare 45 versions of the songs.

My Best of Buddah CD... only place to get the 45 version of "Want Ads"!

And finally, I don't know if I'd take this, 'cause I don't like him that much anymore: the Bobby Brown Box from Japan. It's a gold-colored metal box with CD singles in card sleeves of all the singles from his first album, with all the remixes and remix edits, and it is super, super rare. Not that anyone wants it (I know, I tried to sell it on Ebay once), but I've never even seen it anywhere else.

10. Brian W.

Brian W. Senior Member

You know, Japes, I had the opportunity to buy several copies of that Madonna "Papa Don't Preach" CD Video a decade ago at Tower, for FIVE BUCKS A PIECE. I thought about it, 'cause I figured it would be worth something someday. I think it goes for a good $50 these days.

11. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I now own a signed Rick Wakeman japanese mini-lp cd of "Six Wives Of Henry the Eighth".

Saw him this evening during his US solo tour.

12. MrMudPuppy

MrMudPuppy Forum Resident

I agree that it is REALLY cool packaging. I also have a Japanese digipak edition of Van Halen III with a cool little picture book.

Unfortunately, this CD falls into the "you can't polish a turd" category - all the packaging in the world won't help it. That's my humble opinion of course.

Van Halen still rules though :D

13. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

I have the LP-sized box edition of Sound+Vision with the bonus CDV...you're right, it is a cool gold color! I even have an LD player to look at the video, but I haven't done it yet.

--MK

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Is that a box set? or separate volumes?
    Could you list the catalog number and exact title?...
    I may have that:)

15. Brian W.

Brian W. Senior Member

I'll look at the catalog number when I get home, but that is the exact title, and it's a 5-CD set, copyright 1989 (maybe 90), so it's been out of print for almost 15 years. It's in two separate cases -- the first holding 3 CDs, the second holding 2.

16. ascot

ascot Senior Member

I have all five of the Dire Straits CD+V's, and the Madonna, and the Tears For Fears. Those were the only ones I ever bought.

"Walk Of Life" is the sports version of the video, if you were wondering.

17. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

Don't worry My stem fell off too.

As for my list, I'm still working on it.

:(

18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I don't believe I have that one...

I have 4 Readers Digest 4 Cee Dee Box Sets of 40's Music...

Here are the Titles:

1-Great Romantic Memories of The War Years-219C

2-The Best Loved Bands Of All Time-002C

3-Golden Memories Of The 40's-094C

4-Dancing And Romancing Through The 40's-193C

19. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

The rarest CDs that I own are probably some of the promo only CDs from radio show syndicators. You know those cool specials that stations usually air only on the weekend? They are pressed in very limited numbers and sometimes offer exclusive content. I have several "UP Close" shows featuring The Who, Pete Townshend, Jimi Hendrix, The Kinks, Paul McCartney and others.

Timothy White's Rock Stars featuring Keith Richards--great show with several live in the studio tracks.

Jimi Hendrix- The BBC Tapes- A Westwood One special from the early 90's that featured some exclusive material.

and some discs from Westwood One and On The Radio issued to stations as a "thanks" for airing some of their programming

The Beatles- "Rarities On CD" featuring little oddities, alternate mixes, etc. Nothing special or exceptional but still cool to have. And-
    Neil Young- "Rarities On CD"- featuring promo spots, B-sides, live stuff, etc.
    One of the coolest discs is a promo disc of all of the Beatles Christmas messages. It was sourced from clean vinyl and is really nothing more than a glorified bootleg but it's neat to have. It was another "thanks" from a radio syndication company.

I also have some of those "Superstar Concert Series" shows from Westwood one

Paul McCartney-1989-90
    Stevie Ray Vaughan
    Neil Young and Crazy Horse

and a ton of vinyl concert shows--most of them never played.

Foolishly, I traded several years worth of "Beatles Years" radio shows a few years ago. Wish I still had those babies! Somewhere, I also have
    several episodes of "Ringo's Yellow Submarine" radio show from 1983-1984. Anyone remember this? Some fun listening!

20. Claus

Claus Senior Member

21. Brian W.

Brian W. Senior Member

I have all those, too, except War Years. Dancing and Romancing and Best Loved Bands are both superlative collections. Reader's Digest really does make some of the best CD compilations out there. A lot of them have tracks that have never been been on CD before. (FYI, Best Loved Bands is the only place I've found Tommy Dorsey's 50s hit "Tea for Two Cha Cha" in the original mono mix.)

22. japes

japes Senior Member

I would have liked to have been there when the marked down the U2 and Cure titles. Their all a bit out of my price range now on e-Bay.

23. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Probably the reel to reel Superstar Concert Series, along with the vinyl for three Huey Lewis & the News, and, I think, one Don Henley. Original pressing of Little Richard's first album, on Specialty, which I found for 25 cents at a yard sale several years ago, along with vinyl of Ray Charles' second album, same price. All transfered to CD.

24. Peter D

Peter D Forum Resident

My rarest would probably be John Fogerty's "Centerfield" CD with the original "Zanz Kant Danz."

25. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

Rarest for me are:

Paul McCartney - My Brave Face US CD single

Rolling Stones - Hot Rocks 1 and Hot Rocks 2 (London Stereo CDs)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.