What are your rarest CDs? #3

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by darkmatter, Apr 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Great One

The Great One formerly known as SCARSE

This is pressed by Denon ( I think) the matrix is crude with CD-4792 1A3-4X. The spines do have 38XB-22 (no US cat number) :thumbsup:

2. The Great One

whereas this has CSR moulded hub, 38XB-18 matrix and 38XB spines

IMG_5327.jpg

3. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I wonder which 38XB-22 came first, with or without half-obi.

4. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Thanks, Mark. I have a few 38XB discs that show the 38XB catalog number on the label side but are Denon pressings with the U.S. catalog number in the matrix code. It seems that the CBS/Sony pressings always have the 38XB catalog number in the matrix code and the Denon pressings always have the U.S. catalog number in the matrix code.

It's strange that they threw the OBI strip in there when the spines have the 38XB catalog number already printed on the spines. Are the spines of the back insert printed in English and is the spine of the OBI strip printed in Japanese?

Thanks for that, too. My Ghost in the Machine is also a CBS/Sony pressing with the 38XB catalog number in the matrix code, but it does not have an OBI strip inside the jewel case.

Good question. I do not know for certain, but I am inclined to say that the version without the inserted OBI strip came first. The reason I say this is that my 10-track Synchronicity disc (earlier pressing) came with no inserted OBI strip, but my 11-track disc (later pressing), came with the inserted OBI strip. However, the inserts with the two discs are completely different, and the earlier copy (10-track disc) has the "OBI strip" printed on the back insert. For other 38XB discs, the inserts may not have been changed, so then it's a matter of whether the OBI strip was removed or if it was never included in the first place.

More on the Synchronicity disc and accompanying inserts is avaialble here:

http://www.keithhirsch.com/two-vari...lice-synchronicity-with-catalog-number-38xb-2

5. The Great One

The spine of the obi is in Japanese but I can't remember if its English or not underneath and I hate taking the rear insert out of its case ... in case theres accident :eek:

I'm still wanting to find out if the Zenyatta 32XB ever came with an obi/half obi as I've never seen one :shake:

6. KeithH

Fair enough. I don't want you to have an accident with the disc on my account. I'd never forgive myself. :)

I don't think the 32XB titles came with half-OBI strips. However, I've seen a few titles with regular OBI strips and have a few such complete titles in my collection.

7. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Regarding Police 38XB:

1. When I say without half-obi, I am assuming that the disc came with a full obi (white and bold red lettering, similar to ones that you see on Bryan Adams discs), but I have not seen it.

2. I have owned 2 or 3 copies of this disc, and none of them came with the half obi. I only have one left, and the disc print is different from the one posted by Scarse. The matrix reads 38XB-22 11 +++++

Regarding Zenyatta Mondatta 32XB, I have only seen it with a full obi - white with red lettering.

Attached Files:

• IMG.jpg
      IMG.jpg
      File size:
      42.6 KB
      Views:
  8. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

So that obi is removable (not printed on the tray card like on the 10-track Synchronicity)?

9. The Great One

:agree:

10. KeithH

Yes, there are differences between the two 38XB Reggatta discs. Mark's disc is a Denon pressing and is essentially a Japan-for-U.S. Denon pressing with the 38XB catalog number and JASRAC symbol added. Note that it has the U.S. catalog number in the matrix code. The CBS/Sony pressing is more of a "custom" pressing since it does not resemble the U.S. issue as closely.

Mark's Denon pressing has the U.S. catalog number in parentheses and the CBS/Sony pressing does not. Still, the Denon pressing is quite similar to the Japan-for-U.S. Denon pressing.

11. I have a sealed longbox 'Tea For The Tillerman' UD1 (MFSL).
    That has to be pretty rare these days!
    I looked around online and could only find sealed UD2's.

12. meterman

meterman Senior Member

Here is a picture of my copy of Security (sorry about the poor image quality). I believe that the color scheme on the copy posted by Scarse is the "correct" one because it matches the other early Charisma discs that I have seen. So what is the story with my copy?

Attached Files:

deredordica likes this.
  13. ralph

ralph Forum Resident

That appears to be a diseased disc that needs to be out of your house as soon as possible, before any more of your CD's are infected. Your best bet is to send it to me immediately for expert disposal.

:D

Actually I have no idea what the story is. Maybe a second print run, where the factory played around with the disc design? Very interesting, nonetheless.

14. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

I don't know if it can be considered "rare" but I have a copy of the original CD edition of Steve Jansen and Richard Barbieri's Worlds In A Small Room. I don't think I have ever seen another copy in my life....

15. Zilog Jones

Zilog Jones Member

Re: SCARSE's 38XB Police CDs

The "half-obi" says these are published by Alfa Records (a now defunct independant Japanese label) and sold through Warner-Pioneer. I have some Alfa CDs from 1990 (two YMO albums) with the same half-obi design on the back label. I don't know what the original obis looked like.

16. Rolling Stones - "Hot Rocks 1" - West Germany pressing, matrix "820 141-2 01", "Analogue to Digital mastering by Mobile Fidelity Sound" on back insert.

-s1m0n-

17. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I recently sold my personal copy of the infamous Reen Roink cd by Pearl Jam.
    [​IMG]

Sebastich likes this.
  18. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

What does this CD contain? I've never heard of it.

19. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

It's the pre-release for Ten with only about a dozen known to exist. Out of those only a few had autographs of Jeff or Eddie. Mine was one of only 2(I think) that had Eddie's and mine was the only one where he added a little extra artwork with the basketball. I got about a thousand bucks for it.

jawaka likes this.
  20. The Great One

I was late joining this thread so heres another :)

IMG_5339.jpg

deredordica likes this.
  21. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

Donald Fagan - Tomorrow's Girls EP - WPCP-5503 w/OBI (JPN)
    The Beatles Tapes (BMG version)
    Stairway To Heaven 20th Anniversary promo. (US pressing)

22. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Right. Beware of counterfeits of this title! Consult an expert before purchasing.

23. applecakes

applecakes viva la vinyl

24. winopener

winopener Forum Resident

Alan Parsons Project Eye in the Sky, first edition with custom Arista label. After the release of Ammonia Avenute also EITS was re-released with the standard Arista label.

Attached Files:

deredordica likes this.
  25. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.