What are your rarest CDs? #3

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by darkmatter, Apr 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I picked this disc up recently. It's a Chinese made 3/4 black-face CD made by CBS/Sony in 1988:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sounds nice. I have the Volume 1. disc coming soon.

-s1m0n-

2. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

That's a Japanese CD pressing for Hong Kong CBS/Sony. Have not seen the CCD prefix before. Between your CD (DIDZ 10337) and another CD I have (DIDZ 10347 - see below), the 3/4 black-face design disappeared. All Japanese CD pressings for HK CBS/Sony are considered rare because the number of discs pressed was far fewer than, for example, the 3/4 black-face CDs pressed for the domestic Japanese market.

[​IMG]

3. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

I bet this is rare. Not valuable, but rare.

2009-07-16 12-57-58_0021.jpg 2009-07-16 12-59-01_0022.jpg

4. ralph

ralph Forum Resident

I found this today:

Widow- Gone Too Far, Albatross / CBS Associated ZK 39888, promo CD pressed in Japan by Nippon Columbia (Denon) with a matrix number of ZK-39888 1A1-4Z. There is no booklet, but based on the cheap no frills tray card, I don't really expect that one was issued.

[​IMG]

I didn't think much about this when I bought it today, but when I tried to find some information about it, as I never heard of Widow or this album, I came up pretty much empty. I can't even verify that it was ever actually released (commercially) on CD. As you can see in the scan, this disc says "FOR PROMOTION ONLY - NOT FOR SALE." Gregory Cooper's Rare CD Price Guide? Not listed. AMG? Just a listing, no photo, no bio, nothing other than it was released on an unspecified format. EBay? Nothing! Amazon.com? Bupkus! Google? Nothing useful. GEMM? Zip! Record Stack? Ah! Here we find out that the LP and cassette are in little demand (although there are plenty of "wishful thinkers" who would tell us otherwise). The only CD listed is a "Japanese promo" promoted as "the rarest metal promo CD ever" and offered for $550. :eek: Now, I have no idea if this disc is the same as mine: a promo CD pressed in Japan for the US (presumably) or if it is actually a promo distributed in Japan. You'd think if someone is trying to sell something for $550, he'd put a little effort in the listing! :mad: Sheesh! True, no one ever said you had to be smart to be a Record Stack dealer!

I even did a search on the SH Forums for any mention of this recording. I found nothing! Which I find interesting, as there is no shortage of metal heads around here. And this is actually not bad! It's no masterpiece, but it doesn't suck out loud. And that's a lot better than I was expecting!

I'm hoping someone here knows something about this CD. :help: Was there a commercial CD release? Or was this promo disc used to promote the vinyl LP to radio? That actually wasn't unheard of back in 1984.

5. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I saw the Widow on eBay a couple of years ago, but I don't recall what it went for. It's obviously rare.

6. ralph

ralph Forum Resident

Same promo as mine, or a commercial disc?

7. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

Ok, here are a few more for fun...

All super rare Japan 1st pressings and I believe in the case of #2 and #4 (maybe #3 also, not sure) the only CD versions ever issued.

Japanese rock:

1. Yonin Bayashi - Live '73 (originally issued in 1978)
    2. Cosmos Factory - Black Hole (1976 album)
    3. Golden Cups - Super Live Session (1969 album)
    4. Power House - same (1969 album)

Attached Files:

Grootna likes this.
  8. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

cool Jeff ! :cheers: is this a teaser to another sale ???

9. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

Hey Jeff, my Yonin Bayashi CDs on the Pony Canyon label all came in slimline cases and the obis were printed as part of the covers! They were later pressings with PCCA catalog #s.

And here is their one CBS/Sony release, Golden Picnics. Strangely, this one ALSO came in a slimline case with the obi as part of the cover, even though it's on a different label! The catalog # is CSCL 1245.

Attached Files:

10. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I seen it at the used store, didn't buy it.

will have to grab it and post a pic. I have looked at countless BIA cds and never seen a clear hub with the guitar strings printed on it. usually nothing.

11. kevin

kevin Senior Member

I have a silver cd set of the Who's Blues To The Bush live set[the discs the company sent out if you ordered it through them were cd-r's]......I also have a west german Target version of Joe Walsh's The Confessor.

12. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

The slimlines match the earlier pressings where I've compared, btw.

But they did come with OBIs. Here's my Golden Picnics:

Attached Files:

13. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

I didn't remember that, Jeff! I wasn't usually keeping obis yet back when I bought those Yonin Bayashi CDs.

I wonder why they used a standard wrap-around obi *and* printed another one right on the cover?? The Japanese text is clearly different on both; maybe the answer lies there... I wonder what they say?

14. winopener

winopener Forum Resident

Genesis

BT are already rare by itself, this is a sample.

Attached Files:

15. gjkendall

gjkendall Forum Resident

My rarest (that I can think of at the moment) are...

New Power Generation - Goldnigga (the full version with the uncleared Macartney samples)
    Madhouse - 8 & 16 (Japanese versions)
    The Family - The Family

I'll update this post tomorrow with more info

16. Very nice! :cheers:

17. onebit

onebit Forum Resident

I don't know how rare this one is, but I've never seen another one.

It's sealed, with a perfect box-OBI. Can't bear to open it!

Attached Files:

18. crispynz1

crispynz1 Forum Resident

I have one, although no OBI & not sealed.

19. onebit

onebit Forum Resident

Is it a typical red and silver CBS disc? How does it sound?

20. crispynz1

crispynz1 Forum Resident

Yes Red, Silver & sound is good.

21. onebit

onebit Forum Resident

Thanks Christian!

I think I'll keep it sealed and just listen to my el-cheapo Canadian CBS pressing.

22. Smart move. :righton:

23. winopener

winopener Forum Resident

A nice pair

Here's two of my collection that also are useful for "dating" some early pressing.
    You can see below the "Festivalbar 84", released in Summer 1984 (Festivalbar was a italian Summer Song contest - so a disc released specifically for this season) and the Uk "Now 8" collection, from 1986. Both are Polygram pressings.
    Togheter they shows that the "silver faced" polygram releases (Polydor and so on) started at least by 1984, while the "full face" releases went up to 1986.

Attached Files:

• f84.jpg
      f84.jpg
      File size:
      39.4 KB
      Views:
    • now8.jpg
      now8.jpg
      File size:
      42.1 KB
      Views:
  24. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I've got a copy of Danielle Brisebois' unreleased 2nd album, "Portable Life". It cost me $58. I honestly have no idea how many were sent out as promo copies. 200, 500?

25. Runt

Runt Senior Member

Damnation Of Adam Blessing 3-CD box (Akarma Italy) with mini-LP sleeves.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.