What are you gonna do when the Beatles Remasters suck?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drexler_McStyles, Apr 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

Me, too, I'm not even going to wait, 'cause there's obviously no hope. I'm going to off myself right after lunch, soon as I decide whether to hang myself by my iPod earbuds or slash my wrists with a Toshiba Abbey Road CD.

2. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

I think they will be excellently compressed.

3. MerlinMacuser

MerlinMacuser New Member In Memoriam

I partially agree with Drexler too. We collectively salivated at the news of Moody Blues, Dylan, Genesis and Rolling Stones remasters until they came out and the complaining began. I think in general that most remaster projects are just a ploy to get us to buy the same stuff all over again without any appreciable improvement (our host's contributions excepted, of course).

The best example of a worthwhile remaster, in my opinion was the Pink Floyd DSOTM SACD hybrid. I love hearing the 5.1 sound..it made me wish for more. Another good example of worthwhile remasters are the Linda Ronstadt lps from MoFi...I can really hear an appreciable increase in fidelity over the older cds. But these projects eem the exception rather than the rule.

My general complaint is that the record companies seem to be spending more time and money remastering current artists' crap rather than concentrating of classic stuff that sounded great on vinyl but didn't initially translate well to the new medium of cd. Did we really need a remastered and deluxe edition of Dr. Feelgood over, say, a 5.1 version of a masterpiece like Quadrophenia? How many generations have rediscovered groups like Steve Miller's band over the years and made their songs part of the soundtrack of their lives? Wouldn't you rather have a deluxe edition of Chuck Berry's stuff than a remaster of Eminem or Dr. Dre?

I just hope and pray that the Beatles catalog will get the proper professional attention it deserves. I know some of you don't like the LOVE mashup but you have to admit they really cleaned up the fidelity of those old chestnuts.

Maybe I'm all wrong, but I don't think it is unreasonable to be a bit skeptical, like Drexler about the prospect of any proposed remastering project at this point in time. If they do as well as they did on LOVE, I'll get in line to buy some if not all of the Beatles remasters.

4. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Yes but not necessarily Beatles' music.
    They may be more interested in remastering music by the American Idol winners than Beatles' music.

5. Ursun

Ursun New Member

let's face it: even if they do suck there will be people (here and everywhere) who think they don't

6. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

I love threads discussing at length the sonics of recordings that no poster has heard. :sigh:

7. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

This is inane. There's no such thing as "modern mastering" as an entity. Yes, louder is more in vogue at present, but this doesn't mean all newer masterings are mastered equally loud and compressed. Just foolishness to say so. There hasn't been a single thread (that I'm aware of) touting how fanstastic the upcoming remasters will sound either. No one knows. A few people on the forum have heard extracts from the Sgt. Pepper remasters and they sounded great, other than that, it's ALL conjecture. There's no point in bemoaning these, or ANY release, BEFORE they come out. Relax! Ron

8. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Wha? The people mastering the Beatles stuff are absolutley interested in Beatles music.

9. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

:biglaugh:

10. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

The fact that the remaster of "Living in the Material World" IS well regarded, and was remastered by two of the engineers involved in the Beatles' project, gives me hope that these remasters will sound good.

11. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

Please make them stop...

This thread confirms my long-held suspission that most Beatlebugs have totally lost the plot... They post on ANY Beatles thread, no matter how lame... Just to talk about their beloved diety... Three pages of udder nonsense in just a few hours... Its all too much time on our hands and a total lack of touch with reality... Although the I-Pod Earbud Toshiba Abbey Road post was very sic/funny inna very Paul Is Dead and playing Coachilla sorta way...

I'm sure John and George are rolling it over in their graves at the endless BeatlesRemastersAdNauseum... :angel:

And with 2 dozen folks reading this crap already, is it any wonder... :shake:
    (make that three dozen abullance chasers...)

12. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

I'll save him the trouble by mentioning that thomaz/cloth ears/chip stylus doesn't like the Living in the Material World remaster.

13. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

What am I gonna do when the Beatles remasters suck?

I'M GOING TO DISNEYLAND!! :laugh:

Evan

14. MBERGHAU

MBERGHAU New Member

Basically word of mouth. Average Joe goes out and gets Revolver, thinks it sounds great and tells his friends "these Beatles remasters sound awesome". The other selling point is all the artwork and bonus material.

This has nothing to do with being ani-Beatles or mr. negative. It's just reality from a business/volume standpoint.

15. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Are you sure?? Remix engineer Peter Cobbin (Yellow Submarine Songtracks) said that he's not a big fan and does not care much about the Beatles' music.. He's just doing his job.

16. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

i'm glad i'm not a collector.. i'm a music fan.

if i wanted to collect something, it wouldn't be something that would constantly disappoint me on a daily basis.

17. Pericles

Pericles Forum Resident

Curious, did you even read the press release?

18. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I haven't decided yet.

19. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I fully expect the Beatles remasters to fall short of the great expectations many here hold. We are talking Capitol, which does not exactly have a good track record when it comes to remasters.

If the remasters do indeed suck, this place will be whole load of fun. :sigh:

20. mbleicher1

mbleicher1 Tube Amp Curmudgeon

Except that Capitol had nothing to do with the remastering process, which took place at EMI's Abbey Road Studios in London.

This has to be one of the stupidest threads I've ever seen. The OP is a Forumcrap.

21. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Stampers are supposed to be made in the UK and sent to the USA for vinyl LPs... no one - so far - has figured out a way to overcompress LPs....

So far. :D

22. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

Good idea! I threatened to move to France if McCain were elected president, and I swear, I WILL THIS TIME, I'M NOT FOOLIN'!

23. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

They will sit on my shelf like my Sinatra Concepts (Norberg) box

24. pick-me-up

pick-me-up Straight shooter from S/FI

There you go

Who cares … Read my lips.

Many buglovers like this band almost as much. :D

25. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

I find the Lovely Rita waveform encouraging. I also find the detailed statement about the minimal use of NR encouraging.
    I'd like to hear more details about RESTORATION---like on the stereos of "Please Please Me" "I Should Have Known Better" and "If I Fell".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.