What are you gonna do when the Beatles Remasters suck?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drexler_McStyles, Apr 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

I'm afraid that younger engineers who don't have enough interest on their music will do the remastering using Pro Tools and other modern mastering toys to make them sound LOUD when played on mP3 players and car stereos. The record executives care more about profit than sound uality. They believe that audiophile market is just a small percentage of the buying public population.

2. catman

catman Forum Resident

Chances are I won't notice a difference...as soon as I get the remasters, I plan on ripping them in the lowest possible mp3 format and throwing them on my I-pod so I can listen while rollerblading in traffic. The I can resell the CD's and recoup some of my investment. Only question...should I get mono or stereo?

3. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

75? If the truth is on your side, exaggeration is unnecessary.

4. MBERGHAU

MBERGHAU New Member

All the talk has been that so much time and effort has gone into the fidelity and sound quality of these discs but I can't imagine that the marketing MBAs didn't have any input. They want to make money on this right? and sell the the masses right? So the one way to do that is make them loud, bright, etc. all the stuff we have been complaining about on this forum at infinitum.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

5. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

How does one know a CD is loud and bright before buying it? Is that what our friends and family are going to use as a selling point? I doubt it, Mr. Negative. Let me buy you some straws to grasp at.

Is this just a crazy anti-Beatle thread made by the same folks that complain there are too many Beatles threads?

6. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

What would I do?

Nothing. I've got days of, er, "alternatively"-sourced Beatles music. Everything from the unfortunately-titled Die Beatles to the '83 Toshiba Abbey Road. All the "purple chick" stuff. And the officially remastered stuff that's good, like Yellow Submarine. The CD Singles/CD EP box sets. And, of course, the ol' '87s.

I have all the Beatles music that I really need, i.e. all of it.

7. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

Jeez, it's gonna be a long 4 months and 22 days...

If they suck we'll start 75 more threads talking about it. What'd ya expect?

8. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Let's face it: even if they don't suck, there will be people here who think they do. Whoo-pee-dee-doo.

9. Phlo

Phlo Formerly dave-o

Is it stupid that I'm camped out in front of Best Buy already? :help:

10. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

That's you??? Will you watch my spot for me? I drank way too much coffee this morning.

11. flashgordon

flashgordon New Member

I'm totally agree with Drexler. I can't see what makes you all to be so optimistic about those remasters. I've asked this question two weeks ago and nobody explain me that.
    Most of you allergic to the recent remasters (with the exception of AF and MFSL recent releases). And you still hope for a miracle to happen with those "Beatles" titles. On what grounds?
    What am i going to do? I'll buy all the 1987 CDs i miss till they do not cost a fortune.
    Well, maybe i'll take one of the remasters titles just to salve my conscience, but i suppose that would be enough to see i'm right in my pessimistic expectations. :sigh:

12. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

And I can't see how someone can read the press release and be so damn negative and cynical.

13. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Speculation regardless of whether it's positive or negative is a bit silly months before anyone has even heard them.

Opinions seemed to have been already formed regarding the remasters. Unfortunately that means IMHO that a lot of people are going to stick to their opinions regardless of how they sound.

In other words many of those who say the remasters will suck will stick by their guns after listening to them (regardless of sound) so as not to admit they might have been wrong.

14. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

:righton:

I know...I will just kill myself. That will take care of everything!

15. AudiophilePhil

There's a possibility that the 1987/1988 Beatles CD's will become collectors' items and will be sold at very ridiculous prices because the new remastered albums suck and cater to the taste of the masses who does not even care to own an entry level audio system.

16. flashgordon

flashgordon New Member

I'm not a kind of collector who buy all the editions of the titles of his favourite band. I need a nice sounding CD no matter how the package looks like, what pictures and essay in the booklet and etc.

17. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

While he may not have worded it well, I think the OP has a point. Very seldom does a remaster come out that is generally well regarded here. Why do most people here think the Beatles' catalog will be different?

Judging by the Beatles releases in the 90's, I don't think we've got much hope for good sounding remasters. The Love project seems to have some who like it, but not universally.

18. Ursun

Ursun New Member

+1

19. Phlo

Phlo Formerly dave-o

Well, then. I guess that's it, huh? These remastered puppies are flat-out gonna suck donkey tail. Nothing to see here folks; move it along. This trout is on the Weber. ;)

20. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

Leave the country I guess. :rolleyes:
    It is far too early to know how they are going to turn out and actually I liked the HDCD Cars re-masters. :angel:

21. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

I guess we'll all just :goodie: and be happy becuase we know these are going to sound amazing!!!

What a bunch of fan boys around here.

22. AudiophilePhil

That's a possibility as long as they keep the remastering job away from gadget-happy engineers.

23. FatherMcKenzie

FatherMcKenzie Forum Resident

It's All Too Much

Considering the amount of time and energy spent on these Beatle 2009 remaster threads, it's a wonder there is any decent information at all about these upcoming releases.

There is a press release that went into some detail as to how these remasters were created. If you truly read the release and absorbed the information provided, I would think you would be fairly optimistic. If you don't believe the release, I think you would be inclined to be more cynical and disappointed.

The idea that there will be a variety of releases of these remasters certainly doesn't address any individual's financial concern. I empathize with those who have to think twice before making such an investment. I don't disagree that these releases could have been marketed in even more various ways that were less a burden financially.

I don't even disagree that these could have been manufactured to include both mono, stereo and bonus tracks on one CD, and, might have been able to include 5.1 surround sound. Who knows how definitive they could have made these releases.

But here we are.

I'm optimistic and purchasing the two box sets (though I haven't been able to pre-order them yet).

Optimistically hoping a good time is guaranteed for all.

24. Phlo

Phlo Formerly dave-o

I'd at least like to hear 'em first, dig?

25. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Interest on their music? Not sure what you mean by that. If someone is a mastering or recording engineer I'm sure they are interested in music.

Pro Tools is not a "modern mastering tool".

Right, that has been true since the 78 era.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.