Were the Scholz-vetoed "Boston" expanded/remasters released in Canada?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PhilCohen, Apr 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

My local BB had about a dozen of S/T, but only 1 copy of DLB. Oddly enough, DLP rang up $2 cheaper too. Go figure!

2. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Jamie, do you know when this was released? :D

3. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Sorry, Seems I had a st-st-utter. :laugh:

4. mrmaloof

mrmaloof Active Member

I picked up the Scholz remaster of Boston today and I think it sounds gorgeous! The original CD issue wasn't bad, but this sounds more present. I don't have any of the other versions for comparison.

It was great to be reminded of how consistently excellent this album is. I think I'll pick up Don't Look Back this weekend - they're going for $9.99 at our local Tower.

- Joe

5. texquad

texquad Senior Member

I'm in agreement here.
    When I first compared the original CD with the Scholz remaster I too preferred the original.
    The high end on the new remaster sounded screechy to my ears and the bottom end boosted too. The EQ on the SACD sounds extremely very flat to my ears compared to the remaster. On further listens the remaster sounded better, but I think that's because I'm just getting used to it, not that it sounds better although it will sound great on the radio, for all he wrong reasons!

6. Boston

Boston New Member

If you are interested in hearing samples of the remasters and some reviews my site has a pretty extensive discography and audio section with some rareities as well.

You can read all the reviews about the remasters as well.

What I can tell you is that you will be simply blown away when you hear these remastered CD's that the man himself remastered from the original tapes. The sonic clarity, bass, drums, vocals, layers are so clear you will hear things you never heard before.

The liner notes (on the site too, with scans of the entire cd and booklets) explain finally who played what on the first 2 albums.

The best 20 bucks for both cd's you will ever spend.

I have samples of the Canadian Remasters as well with the bonus tracks. The live tracks are OK, but no-one will miss them. Tom is working on both a live and studio CD currently.

Recalled Canadian Debut
    Recalled Canadian Don't Look Back

I believe the release date for the Tom remasters in Canada is July 27th 2006.

http://www.gonnahitcharide.com/

--Jon :)

7. reechie

reechie Senior Member

First of all, welcome to the forum.

I should, however, warn you against assuming that the folks who frequent this forum will automatically be "blown away" by any new remasters. We're a very critical bunch of listeners, who pay more attention to the use of maximization, compression, clipping, EQ choices and noise reduction than the average music consumer. If you read some of the previous comments about the new remasters, as well as previous releases, you might be surprised to find a few critical notices, all due respect to Mr. Scholz and his efforts.

Remastered doesn't necessarily mean "better" in these parts. ;)

8. Boston

Boston New Member

Well untill you have heard them I guess you cannot make that conclusion.

But thanks for the welcome.

9. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

I took a stab at ordering these from Canada in hopes of getting the versions with the live bonus tracks, but alas, the non-live track versions have been substituted, so I now have 2 copies of the Don't Look Back remaster. :(

Are the deleted versions selling for big bucks on ebay yet? Anyone have spare copies they want to sell?

10. Boston

Boston New Member

The deleted versions are very difficult to find and have long been sold out at the retailers that got a few copies. I have seen a few on Ebay. Good Luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.