Were the Scholz-vetoed "Boston" expanded/remasters released in Canada?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PhilCohen, Apr 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Haven't compared them to anything but they sound rather thin to me. :( This is just my initial impresions.

2. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Thanks Jamie. Too bad. Guess I'm not missing much though...

3. Great Deceiver

Great Deceiver Active Member

Didn't Mark Wilder (same mastering engineer from the SACd which everyone praises) master these? I would have thought he would have carried over the same sensibilities from his work on the SACD.

4. ChristianL

ChristianL Senior Member

Mark Wilder also mastered the "not so praised" Mastersound Gold CD. Back to the roots?

5. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

I thought the releases of Boston and Don't Look Back sounded fine. I've listened to them a number of times and I've no complaints. Except for the live cuts. They have a little to be desired though. Not as good as I expected. The one saving grace to the live cuts are the songs they selected. A few of the best Boston tracks.

6. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Someone told me that the re-release (the Scholtz fixed ones) of these reissues are out today...any truth to that????

7. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Looks like they are but I haven't seen any yet.

8. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

We received (i work at a record store) the Scholtz approved remasters today, haven't heard it yet, but they look fabulous.

9. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I received an e-mail message today from mymusic.com stating that these discs were available. Are they out in the U.S.?

10. rpd

rpd Senior Member

they are out.....look the same as the canada ones that were pulled.....except the live bonus tracks are gone.....and these say they are remastered by Scholtz...

11. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

12. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I bought a copy at Best Buy last night. I saved a few bucks by getting it on line and picking it up at the store. Online it's $9.?? and in the store it's $12 or $13 (can't remember).

I listened to it but I had a rather difficult day at work and my ears were shot by the time I listened to it. I'll do some more listening tonight and let you guys know what's going on with it. First impressions were the bass was a bit bigger than previous CDs, maybe a bit more sparkly top end and a little less of the upper mid stuff.

13. rpd

rpd Senior Member

I am very curious if the remaster of the s/t record can possibly sound better than the SACD...

14. JayB

JayB Senior Member

For those that have picked these up (The Scholtz Versions) I'd love to hear your thoughts on the sound quality..

15. JayB

JayB Senior Member

For those who have heard the Scholtz remasters just released, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the sound of them..

16. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

I listened to these. One thing, IMHO they are not hard on the ears (like the Sony Mastersound discs). They seem to have good stereo separation. The drums may seem a bit thin in places. I didn't listen too hard for hiss, so I don't know if any NR was applied. They seem to have a bit of air on the top, so maybe not. The noticeable lack of hiss may just be eq choices that were applied.

To me, I like the sound of the first album better than Don't Look Back, but I found them both ok remastering-wise. I of course would like to read others comments.

17. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I just picked up the self-titled remaster, and it sounded surprisingly good in the car. It's not harsh, and it does not seem to been mastered too loud. As I am still unpacking in my new house, I am not yet able to listen on better equipment. When everything is set up, I'll be curious to see how this remaster compares to the SACD and original CD releases pressed in Japan.

Out of curiosity, has anyone compared this remaster to the original digipak remaster issued in Canada?

18. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I just did some comparisons between the original S/T CD, the SACD (Mark Wilder mastered), the Mark Wilder "Canadian" remaster and the new Scholz remaster. I only compared track 3 (Long Time).

The original CD sounded friggin' great! The top end was airy and had definite space and width. On the negative side, the low end was a bit bloated and was almost boomy, the result being an almost "U" curve sound. Still, there's something special about this CD.

The other three versions have much different top end and midrange.

The Mark Wilder mastered SACD was nice. It filled in the midrange that was lacking on the original CD. In fact all three of the remasters had a similar 1-3kHz EQ addition to the midrange but at different amounts. The SACD had the least added, next was the Scholz and then the Wilder "Canadian" CD which always sounded harsh to me.

I personally like the sound of the original CD even though it may be slightly recessed in the mids.

Next I'd pick the SACD as it had a nice addition of 1-3kHz the original CD lacked... but none of the other CDs had that amazingly spacious and airy top end.

Third pick is the Scholz remaster. I think this is the most sympathetic remaster I've ever heard. You can hear adjustments to bring out parts that may have been covered up before. BTW, I didn't hear any NR(!).

My least favorite is the Canadian CD. Like I said, it's harsh. It's much different than the SACD Mark mastered. It has a lot of that midrange but it's too much and the cymbals and sibilance are almost screechy. This was one of Tom Scholz's complaints and it was definitely justified.

There you go. The Scholz remaster is an improvement over the recalled Canadian remaster but does not beat the SACD. Still, like I said before, the original CD is just special, flaws and all.

19. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

Jamie,

Check this out for me. I played the Don't look Back remaster. That to me sounded louder than the S/T remaster and compressed. The highs seem too crisp. Interested in your thoughts.

BTW, glad you didn't notice any NR.

20. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Sorry, I only bought the first album. Best Buy didn't have the other CD.

21. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Do you know when this was released?

22. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I think it was the beginning of April.

23. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

24. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member