Welcome Ex-Atlantic mastering engineer Barry Diament to the SH Forums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, May 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bdiament

bdiament Producer, Engineer, Soundkeeper

BD at CAS 12-1-2007

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that coming up on Saturday, December 1 at 12pm, I'll be the guest speaker at the annual holiday meeting of the Connecticut Audio Society.

We'll be discussing recording, mastering, stereo and Soundkeeper Recordings.

Visitors are welcome. For more information, call (860) 986-9156.

It would be great to meet some of you in person.

Best regards,
    Barry
    www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
    www.barrydiamentaudio.com

2. El Drogba Blanco

El Drogba Blanco New Member

Hi Barry,

I would like to ask if you consider as a viable option distributing your label's albums as payed downloads through your website, lossless (FLAC) of course.

BTW, I do not believe that a CD-R burned at 8x or 1x has any difference, until someone proves this. There's something called error correction. Anyway, I'd rather have a factory pressed CD as they are generally more reliable than a CD-R.

3. bdiament

Hi El Drogba,

I have considered downloads and for the time being, decided against them.

As to CD-R burn speed, error correction has nothing to do with the differences many folks hear. Still, Soundkeeper offers pressed CDs exactly because some folks, like yourself, prefer them.

Best regards,
    Barry

P.S. Anyone going to be in Connecticut on December 1st?
    (See post #226 above.)

4. John Cantrell

John Cantrell Active Member

Essential, AFAIC, Keith :righton:

Okay, one more for the database.
    The original Atlantic Genesis - Three Sides Live sounds...like...a Barry Diament mastering :agree:

5. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Is there already a thread with a database or are we just adding to this one? I saw a disc with Barry's mastering credit last week, but I can't remember which one it was.

6. turtle2344

turtle2344 New Member

Welcome and congratulations on reclaiming your passion.

7. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I used to have an HHB CD recorder that made discs virtually none of my players would play. Then I bought a few nice CD drives and haven't had any problems. I guess it all depends how well the disc was burned.

For the next Soundkeeper release I'll probably order the CD-R. It'll be closer to what Barry intended.

8. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Did Barry mastered "Babylon by Bus"? I happen to have this one, but haven't listen to it in a while...

9. bdiament

Bump, for a Monday morning.

Best regards,
    Barry

10. John

John Senior Member

Hi Barry- I will have to call for directions, looking forward to meeting you.

11. bdiament

Hi Plan9,

"Babylon By Bus" was among the 13 original albums I remastered in 1990. The one I did will have my name on the disc itself. (I'm hoping they did not include my name on the remasters done by others in subsequent years.)

Best regards,
    Barry

12. bdiament

Hi John,

Likewise.

I'll have to call for directions myself. I believe it will be held in the Stamford area.

Best regards,
    Barry

13. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Thanks Barry! I have your mastering. I was searching for your name on the booklet, that's why I overlooked the disc itself! It sure sounds mighty fine. :)

As for the remasters, I also have a few of them, but be reassured, there's no mention of you on it. Your reputation will not be spoiled! ;) :D

14. bdiament

Hi Plan9,

Thanks for your kind comment.

On the ones I did, you should see my credit on the booklet (and/or insert tray) as well.

Best regards,
    Barry

15. butch

butch Senior Member

Barry did you do any of the Atlantic Jazz reissues?Specifically the 1988 version of Bags and Trane?

16. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I pulled out the old Pete Townshend White City disc the other day...seriously, nice work Barry! I forgot you mastered this until I read this thread. :righton:

17. bdiament

Hi butch,

I left Atlantic just as they were starting to issue their fabulous jazz catalog on CD.

Best regards,
    Barry

18. LouChang

LouChang her brother (but nobody's bro)

mastered by Barry Diament

Bad Company - Straight Shooter

19. LouChang

LouChang her brother (but nobody's bro)

I'd also like to thank Barry for his great mastering work and for sharing his knowledge and insight on this forum. :thumbsup:

20. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

He's also very friendly via PM and post - and it was great to be able to buy the 20 year old Appetite For Destruction and realize that I don't need to seek out the pricey MFSL gold version - Barry's mastering sounds just fine to me.

21. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

22. rhkwon

rhkwon Forum Resident

I really like the AC/DC and Led Zeppelin CD's Barry did. Great job!

23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Ultimate Rascals

An interesting observation about the Inglot remaster... A friend of mine was just listening to a dub of Barry's version that I sent him, and he noticed there were some significant clicks in places, notably at the start of Come On Up and What Is The Reason. I indicated they were on the original recordings, but I thought I'd check the Inglot CD just in case.

In a few cases, the clicks are *not* on the Inglot version, but it felt like there were jumps or skips. Sure enough, I just loaded up the 2 side by side, and the Inglot CD does in fact have the clicked edited out. However, while the clicks may be around 10 samples long, the edits are much larger - in the case of Come On Up, around 700 samples. During What Is The Reason there are 2 quick clicks (and edits), which amount to around 1700 lost samples on the Inglot CD.

The clicks on the recordings are annoying, but I think the edits are worse. Especially when one can (today, anyway) surgically go in and fix the clicks.

FWIW, the azimuth is also way off on It's Wonderful on the Inglot version. Not sure about other tracks offhand though.

It isn't how I would have mixed it (especially considering it is an 8-track recording), but I still think it *sounds* nice and I find it enjoyable to listen to.

24. 16/44.1

16/44.1 Forum Resident

Barry,

Do you have the Tuff Gong releasenumbers of each cd?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.