Was the Carpenters 68-73 singles comp ever remastered?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Jan 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bob2935

bob2935 Active Member

Thanks Harry for your insite and Richard's comments. Unfortunately, the CD currently in my collection has little more than lyrics in the liner notes and definitely includes the 1985 Yesterday Once More instead of any earlier mix. However, there is another copy at my local library and I remember it had all the serious pitching going on. I'll get it out and report on Yesterday Once More.
    Bob.

2. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

I am confused!

I have the Classics Vol 2 set (CD6750), a BMG DIrect Marketing issue of Yesterday Once More (D 260028 2 - although the discs are identical to the Classics Vol 2 set complete with the same catalogue number CD6750!) and the CRC CD issue of "The Singles 1969-1973" (CD-3601).

The version of "Yesterday Once More" on all these sets is the same! I presume it is the 1985 remix - certainly sounds more modern than a 1973 mix....

What I don't understand is that "Goodbye To Love" on "The Singles" seems to be the sped up version. At least it is half a semi-tone higher in pitch than the remixes on the other two sets (which are identical to each other).

I thought that if the "The Singles" CD had the original sped up "Goodbye To Love" that meant it also had the original mix of "Yesterday Once More" and that if it had "Goodbye To Love" at the correct speed it had the remix of "Yesterday Once More".

Is my disc yet another variation or have I just misunderstood what's been said on this thread?!

If I want the original version of "The Singles" on CD (ie the same as the original LP) what should I look for?

:)

3. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

There's been a lot written about the SINGLES compilation - and even I've learned a few things recently. Apparently there are more than just two variations, which is what I originally thought. There is of course the old '80s compilation, which has the speeded up medley on side one, and the Remastered Classic version (US - OOP) that has those songs at the correct speed. On both of these, "Yesterday Once More" is the single mix.

What's gotten confusing is a series of other releases around the world, some of which say "Remastered Classic" on them. This iteration was issued in Canad, for sure, and may still be available. It's the same as the US Remastered Classic except for "Yesterday Once More" - it tirns out to be the '85 remix - so this is likely the version you have, Malc.

The title has gone in and out of print in Japan numerous times (again "in" this summer), and God only knows which versions they might be.

I'd like to be able to tell you an easy way of identifying these, but I don't own any that do not contain the single mix.

4. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

My US BMG Remastered Classic Singles 69-73 has the '85 remix too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.