Warner Japan Rock SACD titles set for August

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Robert Lan, Jun 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

I prefer the radioactive SACD's from Japan over E-Coli cucumbers from Spain. Sorry, I'll pass.
    :D:D

2. tribby2001

tribby2001 Forum Resident

There are far and away more people getting deathly ill from eating gherkins.

:laugh:

3. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I would guess that both of those artists fall under the url notgonnahappen.com.

Face it, Mr. Page is too busy working on his next album, I know this for a fact. Don't you remember his Embryo riif that he demonstreated in the movie, "It might Get Loud." :D Robert sold off his financial stake in the band years ago so he politely doesn't give a ___. That leaves Bonham's estate and John Paul. Well neither of them are hungry or bored.

As much as I love Faces, I just don't think that their catalog sales history could justify the cost of remixing unless Rod picks up the tab. On that note see the url above....

Cheers

4. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

But the radioactivity is what makes them sound so good. :angel:

5. Skyflash

Skyflash Forum Resident

I would buy the Fragile SACD. I missed out on that one when it was available.
    I like the idea of DVD-A where I can enjoy the 2.0 mixes on my computer better
    but if it means having a shot at it again so be it. I have a little nest of SACD's building
    and I'm gonna buy a player.

It's possible that maybe eye's are opening to the idea now that artists like Pink Floyd
    an Rush are releasing hi-rez titles. By starting with these more popular titles they
    have something to build on. The only one missing that should be on that list is Rumors.

6. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Let's just hope they don't do as Rush apparently did with the 2-channel Moving Pictures, upsample a 16-44.1 master!

7. cincyjim

cincyjim Senior Member

He did? When and why did this happen?

8. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

All current Sony multichannel BD players as well as Pioneer and OPPO BD multichannel players handle SACD.
    Only the best buy "krud":D multichannel BD players don't play SACD.

9. Not exactly, the PS3 is still far and away the biggest selling Sony multichannel Blu-ray player and as far as I know, no PS3 slim has ever played SACD.

I think any high resolution surround release not on Blu-ray is a goof but Blu-ray is a popular priced format, mass market focus. SACD can be priced like this and there is a market, although it is a very small market.

If Warner was going to re-release DVD-As now, I would like to see something like the Perception Box on a single Blu-ray disc at $50 or maybe the R.E.M. catalog on a single Blu-ray disc or Seal or other. I have no idea what the Japan market is like but in the US, the SACD market wouldn't amount to a pimple on the Blu-ray market's butt.

10. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Blu-ray music and SACD might be a bigger pimple then you think.

11. Fatman

Fatman Senior Member

I'm confused as to why some folks prefer SACD over DVD-A (aside from some thinking you need a monitor to play them...you don't). I don't have blu-ray, but it seems that would be the preferred format anyway, simply because they are slowly replacing DVD players in most homes.

I like DVD-A because I can rip hi-rez files to my music server. With SACD I can not. This is a huge deal for me and i suspect others who are moving away from physical discs.

Random thoughts...
    My Hotel California DVD-A is missing the stereo layer (or files or whatever they are called). Can I really get $100+ for this?
    My Fragile DVD-A is not all that great sound wise.

12. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

On eBay, I'd say yes, more than likely. Be honest about the stereo layer in your listing, and you'll probably get someone like me, that doesn't give two hoots in hell about a stereo layer on a SURROUND disc, and doesn't own a DVD-A player, but rather DVD-V players, and doesn't whine about lossy sound. Lossless is great, but so is millions of dollars, a beautiful mate you can trust, and eternal youth...if it ain't happening, stop whining about it. :laugh:

13. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

I have always prefer DVD-A over SACD just because they are all surround and they sould better to me at least. Surround was why I got excited about both in the first place but SACD did a lot less in surround.

14. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

The current version of the PS3 is what I would rate as "krud". (See my previous post)
    Firstly, the PS3 is not a native BD multichannel sound system. (You need to hook up a multichannel processor via HDMI to it)
    Secondly, to bring costs down (i.e. To enable them to sell it at < $100 at Best Buy), Sony only recently took the SACD circuitry out of the PS3. The first two versions had SACD functionality. You could only buy these versions for $250-$300 in Ireland.

15. My Hotel California is the same way, I never play the stereo layer anyway but after reading about the issue, I tried and couldn't. I don't know if our DVD-As could bring $100 or not. I read about crazy prices, list the item on eBay and it never happens for me but I might try again with this one.

16. The PS3 is as much of a native Blu-ray multichannel player as about 95% of all of the current Sony Blu-ray players you mention that play multichannel Blu-ray. What exactly do you think separates the PS3 from the other Sony Blu-ray players? There may be one current Sony Blu-ray player with 5.1 analog output but it doesn't amount to much in terms of Sony Blu-ray player marketshare.

The only Sony PS3 models that played SACD were the original 60GB, 20GB and an early 80GB model. All subsequent and a big majority of the total PS3 models sold do not handle SACD.

17. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Well, they had to do this, the 16/44 master is all that exist!
    The remastering is still captured in Hi-Res.

18. Bender Rodriguez

The PS3 has not had SACD capability since 2007.

19. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

What I class as a native BD multichannel player is a system where the multichannel processor and 5/7 speakers come as part of the package.
    The PS3 is not a sound system, its a down and dirty Game console.

Like I said, and I repeat, the first two versions had SACD functionality.

20. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Actually a guy who archived all Rush's tapes a few years ago told me they did an analog version of the master as well and he archived it to 24/192 digital. It looks as if rather than take the time to do a proper hires 2-ch version, they assumed everyone would focus on the new 5.1 mix so they just upsampled the 2011 CD remaster. What a wasted opportunity!

21. Bender Rodriguez

You said Sony "only recently" removed SACD circuitry from the PS3. I don't consider 2007 to be "only recently." That's all I meant.

22. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

:agree: :thumbsup: :righton: :wave: :winkgrin:

23. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

In the grand scheme of things yes. You could still buy the SACD versions here two years ago.

24. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

A little rude, but fairly clever, and extremely funny.

Anyway, I prefer SACD over the DVD-A format. Perhaps the smart thing is to sell the DVD-Audio discs now, and buy the SACD's when they are released. Of course, I'll kick myself if either they end up getting cancelled, or if the sound is somehow compromised. Decisions, decisions . . . . . .

25. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

The only thing is there'll be no video extras, obviously, on the SACD. Some of the Warner Bros. DVD-Audio discs had killer video extras. I'm thinking, for instance, of BILLION DOLLAR BABIES.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.