Warner Japan Rock SACD titles set for August

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Robert Lan, Jun 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Passing on all of these.

2. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

One thing one must consider. Will these somehow retain the "watermark". Not that it would impact playing on an SACD player. However, say, if someone wanted to create their own DVD-A's from these SACDs, well, it would be a real kicker if the watermark was still there. :D (The ultimate F You)

3. David Jay

David Jay Forum Resident

Yes, although I welcome the announcement of the above titles I would also love to see (hear) some of the classic albums of the 90s from Manic Street Preachers, RHCP, Oasis, the Verve, The Charlatans, Ocean Colour Scene remastered, sans brickwall treatment, on gold CD or SACD. After all, these stand to gain a great deal from a properly-done reissue.

Someone must surely recognise there's a market for audiophile versions of 90s rock... (btw I'm not suggesting that these titles would sound pristine, but it'd be nice to hear them at the best they can get). At the moment there's no choice but brickwalled versions for many of the bands I mentioned.

Regards,
    David.

4. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

That one is still in print in Japan.

5. fantgolf

fantgolf Forum Resident

:righton:
    I get dizzy every time I think of that!

6. ToEhrIsHuman

ToEhrIsHuman Forum Resident

There were rumors of Madonna surround mixes produced like 10 years ago. Perhaps they may finally see the (ray of) light of day.

7. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Yeah, I heard the surrounds got all tied up during her Kabbala phase. ;)

8. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Well, there you go.

This is not for you, but for some of us who never experimented with or embraced DVD-Audio, it's very exciting.

9. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

I see this description:

SACD/CDハイブリッド盤
    ※5.1chサラウンド&ステレオ音声収録
    ※通常のCDプレイヤーでも通常のCDとして再生することが可能です

10. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Even the people that will be interested will be hard pressed to consider buying another player when they find out that their DVD and Blu-ray players (in most cases) won't play this format.

Tell them it will work on their Blu-ray player though, likely a different outcome.

I know of only 2 people that have bought SACD players in the last 5 years that are friends of mine so they can play some SACD's. One got SACD's because he had a 60GB PS3, then after it bricked he found a DV-45a for $45 on eBay. My Dad most recently chose the Sony Blu-ray player with SACD capability after he found out he could still pick up most of the Dylan SACD's for cheap.

Hopefully at CES 2012 some of the Warner Music labels will announce support of music via the Blu-ray format and 24-bit digital downloads, that seems to offer the most chance at sustainability in a mass market to me.

11. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident

If they promote it as much as 3D :)

12. milkshock

milkshock Forum Resident

another thought is that this spate of sacd's is simply a response by the record industry to perceived threats such as hdtracks taking away whatever (admittedly virtually non-existant) credibility they have left.

13. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I know it's as easy as one click (more or less) to convert PCM to DSD. No change in levels needed.

As to whether the digital masters are in PCM or DSD, I'd bet that if there is a 5.1 mix, the masters are in PCM.

14. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Yep, Blu-ray for music should be about as popular as dvd-audio. It's the same thing with a new name.

15. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Yeah, but these are for the Japan market where SACD penetration is higher than here. I say good for WB. Heck, I ordered them! :D

Now why won't WB/Rhino re-release their DVD-A catalog in the USA at reasonable prices, even if only through "Because Sound Matters", "Rhino Website", or available at car dealerships, to get discs to the hundreds of thousands of cars out there with DVD-Audio capability? It boggles the mind. (And in the car, you do NOT need a monitor! :rolleyes: )

it HAS to be more expensive to press up these Hybrid SACDs than it would be to make more DVD-A's of existing titles here in the US for a US "controlled" distribution.

16. LennonCobain

LennonCobain Forum Resident

I am very excited about this development. Hopefully it will lead to future multichannel releases that are new to us all. I am a bit disappointed that they will be costly as imports from Japan.

17. tomd

tomd Senior Member

No,I never complain when SACDs are released.I do complain when I see the titles chosen by Audio Fidelity for their pop/rock "audiophile" cds,I haven't found a title that interests me since the Faces disc,Well,the Pretenders (and that was something of a disappointment as well) :sigh:

18. tribby2001

tribby2001 Forum Resident

Chicago - V
    Bonus Track "Dialog" live version

Yes - Fragile
    Bonus track "America"

Deep Purple - Machine Head
    Bonus track "Blind Man" (Original B-side)

19. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Eh, boring selection. I'll pass.

20. shinedaddy

shinedaddy Forum Resident

LED ZEPPELIN

FACES

we need those 2 ASAP, Warner!!

21. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I always bitch about the same titles coming out over and over again, but at the same time, I have a nice warm and dry spot on the shelf waiting for the MFSL Pet Sounds SACD. :D

22. KeithH

With a sticker on the front that reads:

"THE DEFINITIVE VERSION OF THE 1959 JAZZ CLASSIC...SERIOUSLY...WE MEAN IT THIS TIME!"

:D

23. KeithH

There are definitely a lot of people who never embraced DVD-Audio. For them, and for all of us, these SACDs are great news. Hopefully it means WEA will be opening up the vaults for new titles in hi-rez.

24. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

I can't see this as anything other than good news. I am a vinyl guy, but would he happy to get more into SACD if a greater range of titles are introduced.

Tom

25. kap'n krunch

kap'n krunch Forum Resident

I know a lot of mean members and trolls will feast on this, but I don't care:

RADIOACTIVE SACDs from JAPAN!!! WOW!!! WHERE DO I SIGN????

Personally, I prefer DVD-As...SACDs don't cut it for me....

Sorry, I'll pass...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.