VPI Introduces new "CLASSIC" turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TommyTunes, Jan 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

vpi

2. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

3. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

From comparing a Technics with his hard metalic surface with a DUAL - a suspended player with a wooden surface - these materials make the biggest impact on the coloration / sound of a player - what I like especially about the Scoutmaster sound is it's fast attack and snap, due to that industrialm metallic body and i am sure that this get's lost with the new Classic. Even without hearing it.
    The question what kind of tonality / coloration comes instead ?
    Back to DUAL vs Technics with exactly the same specs and same price when new - there is no winner in that contest, just a different sound !

4. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

I like the way it looks above the plinth. But the wood looks cheap to me. Reminds me
    of contact paper. Maybe it's the picture.

5. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

This is the problem. The "wood" is just a laminate. Looks horrible in my opinion. I suspect they will get pushback and fix it in later versions. A dark walnut would look awesome.

6. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I like the wood look. It doesn't look cheap to me. What wood finishes aren't laminate in audio these days?:rolleyes:

7. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Sorry Tullman...just calling it as I see it. Have you ever seen the wood on the HW-19? That's kinda what I had in mind by way of comparison.

8. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member Thread Starter

9. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

No need to be sorry. I could have chosen the black version instead of the wood. With the type of performance this TT delivers I didn't expect select wood, carving and finish of a cabinet maker. I suppose, if I really wanted to, I could lightly sand the finish and put on a darker stain and then hand rub some oil into the finish.

10. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Well despite my quibbles about the finish, it appears you got a heckuva deal on this table. I will hear it soon at Audio Alternative, our local VPI dealer. When I was last in there, they had not finishes setting it up.

11. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Folks, The TT comes with a real wood veneer probably over MDF or Baltic Birch plywood if it is as dead as TommyTunes said. This is not to be considered cheap. Practically all modern wood furniture is made this way. It is far more stable with respect to seasonal temperature and humidity changes especially here in the NE where we really heat in the winter and the humidity drops to like 20% indoors. Real solid wood sounds wonderful, but unless you have a cabinet maker who knows what he is doing you will get seam splits with seasonal changes. A TT that is meant to be a value leader cannot afford a cabinet maker's trim job.

12. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Tony,

I don't think this is a veneer based on what I saw. I think it is a plastic laminate over mdf.

13. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Lee, Please see the 6th bullet from the bottom of the page that comes up from the link:

http://www.vpiindustries.com/table_classic.htm

Can we please put this finish business to bed. :rolleyes:

14. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

How would you compare the SOUND of this TT to the Rega P3, given the same cart?

15. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Interesting. The one I saw did not honestly look like real wood veneer. :confused:

16. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

It looks and feels like real wood to me.

17. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Do all VPI's come without a mat, or is this new to the classic. How does this affect the sound, and just as important, what impact does it have on the record surface? Or is it just a matter of getting a mat?

18. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

When I first unpacked the TT, I thought they neglected to include a mat, or that Music Direct forgot to tell me I needed to buy a mat, but no, It isn't designed for a mat.

The platter has no effect on the record surface. I don't know what affect it has on the sound, but it does sound real good.

19. xman

xman Active Member

Me Likes!

20. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

VPI SPECS

â– Absolutely solid, non-resonating laminated one-piece chassis holding all comonents. This is not a wooden frame; it is a solid laminated 2.5" thick MDF block with 11 gauge steel attached to the top with silicone and long bolts through all the layers. The chassis weighs 30 pounds and is totally non-resonant

â– Real black oak or walnut wood veneer finish

21. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

Who on the forum has both that can run a comparison.

The sonic signature of the P3 and the VPI has to be different.

Which P3 are you referring to the P3/24 or the P3?

22. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Harry Pearson of The Absolute Sound gives the new Classic a short, but very positive write up in the latest issue. He had it tricked out with all the options (SDS, stainless steel JMW10i, VTA on th fly adjustment) and said it held its own against the Clearaudio Statement (at over $100,000 if I recall correctly).

23. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Harry Pearson and Harry Weisfeld of VPI have been long term friends. I wonder if Pearson is being perfectly objective here. I'm sure this is a very good table but as good as the Statement? I'm skeptical.

24. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

He doesn't say it's as good as The Statement, he says it holds its own against it. I take that to mean, while it doesn't reach Statement heights, it doesn't embarrass itself either. Not too bad for a $2500-$4600 table.

25. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I read the article last night. I was surprised that Harry Pearson like the Classic so much. He wrote that he would give a more detailed review next issue. After reading the article, I think I will look at getting the steel tube.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.