VPI Introduces new "CLASSIC" turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TommyTunes, Jan 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

That's really a gorgeous table Tullman. :righton:

2. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

The base clamp is made of Delrin and is pretty effective. A friend bought the clamp with the stainless steel weight for the knob and it helps the sound and looks a bit better. I think it sells for $150. I just have the base Delrin clamp but it works well enough for now.

They make a solid stainless clamp but I don't think it screws down so I'm not sure if that couples the record to the platter as well or not.

3. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

Very nice, congratulations! :cheers:

4. Macman

Macman Senior Member

Beautiful.

5. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Thanks every one. I am very happy with this TT, which is my first and last new TT purchase. This is all I can afford but boy it does make music!
    The stainless steel clamp would be better. The threads on the Delrin clamp is made from a cheap/soft metal alloy which can strip easily if turned askew on the stainless steal spindle screw.

6. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Let us know how you like the Dyna cartridge. Do you have the VPI output version? I'm considering a high output version.

7. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I really like the Dynavector 20XL, which is not the VPI version. I will probably get that cart next because it will work better with my phono stage, because of higher output. I recently had the 20XL retipped at soundsmith with the ruby cantilever and optimized contour diamond. This cartridge tracks much better than the original stylus, and my AT150. The sound is better too. I was happy to get the cart back so I could get rid of the harsher sounding AT150.

8. Congrats on the table. :thumbsup:

Are those VPI or Aurio isolation feet under the table.

9. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

Congratulations. Nice table. I recommend that you get the stainless steel center weight as it makes life easier while changing records. It is heavy enough to "clamp" down the record.
    Can the platter accept the outer ring?

10. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Those are isolater feet derived from the HR-X and come stock on the Classic TT.

11. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yes the platter will accept the outer ring clamp. I will be considering the center weight an outer ring clamp in a year or so, they cost over a thousand bucks. I was told that they work best together.

12. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I've seen them sell on Audiogon for $500 or so. The ring, and the SDS(which also shows up on A'gon) are the two best upgrades I made.

Very nice table, btw.

13. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Wow, this thing looks much better than the pictures on the web I 've seen before - wished I could open such a box on myself saturday...

14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

My parent's historic three story on "the hill" in Easton, PA cost $5,000 in 1960.

15. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member Thread Starter

Only if you use the outer ring clamp. Lees will explain why.

16. ktc1

ktc1 New Member

That is one gorgeous table. I'll hang on to my P25 until I can afford to upgrade to this one, just beautiful; congrats!

17. Toka

Toka Active Member

Great looking table, congrats! I'd love to hear one myself. At the price it looks like a killer buy.

18. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Actually, the stainless steel CLAMP is supposed to be an upgrade from the Delrin model. The stainless steel WEIGHT, which does not screw on, is used in conjunction with the ring. I have yet to hear either, however. I'm still on the two piece plastic clamp.

19. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Tull, Very nice TT, I have used a VPI screw on clamp for over seven years now with no problems.

20. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Me, too, and now in conjunction with the periphery ring. No problems at all.

If I had the Classic, the first upgrade I would do would be the ring, before getting the SDS. In my experience the ring had a much greater impact in terms of stability and solidity of the sound.

Edit: Hey, you're in luck: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=181073

John K.

21. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Bes at Music Direct did explain why. He gave me a substantial discount on the VPI - HR-X STAINLESS STEEL CLAMP.

22. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Thanks, that is a good deal, but I am tapped out right now. I will have to wait a year before I get the kind of funds needed for this.

I just to get the feeling while listening to the TT, that I need the SDS. I know it would improve things but I can wait.

23. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I used mine for and hour with problems.:sigh: Mostly, because of my technique. I will be more careful from now on.

24. John D.

John D. Senior Member

I keep seeing the ads saying that this Classic is so good, that their flying off the shelves and hard to keep in stock. I haven't been able to find a review of this table yet, I think The Absolute Sound has one, but I haven't seen it. Has anyone else had any experience with the Classic, or read the reviews?

25. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member Thread Starter

I had a chance to briefly audition the Classic the other day. Initial impression is that it is not the "standard" VPI sound. Outstanding low end weight, maybe the best I've heard. The mid through top end is balanced but not as detailed as other VPI tables. Soundstage depth is also truncated comparied to the Scoutmaster and higher up tables.

Background noise is nearly non existant, it offer termendous bang for the buck. I would mate it with a highly detailed cartridge to balance it out. The plith is one of the deadest that I have ever seen.

The only real negative is that it comes without a mat. Your record goes on the aluminum platter directly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.