VPI Introduces new "CLASSIC" turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TommyTunes, Jan 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

They should not advertise the 10.5i I would agree as this is some sort of lite version of that arm.

2. MusicMtnMonkey

MusicMtnMonkey New Member

Obviously we didn't immediately understand that "rigid mount mode" means no VTA on the fly. ;)

3. MattTheCat

MattTheCat Prowling At 78 RPMs

Any idea how many speeds this 'table has? I can't find that info anywhere. My next 'table has got to be a 3 speed. I'm tired of playing 78s on a 1956 Emerson radio/phono.

4. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

I would think 78s would sound GREAT on a 1956 Emerson Radio Phono. Thats what they were meant to be played on!!!

5. MattTheCat

ABSOLUTELY! They sound great and the Emerson tube phone/radio is in excellent shape. However, there is no ease of transfer, should I want to convert a 78 to CD. Also, I now have a McIntosh tube amp on my mail system, so I'd like to run some 78s through that. Anyone know how many speeds the VPI has?

6. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Matty, I dont know, but I would doubt the VPI has 78 rpm.

Why dont you just buy a cheap old Garrard or Magnavox table and run it thru your Macintosh amp for 78 playback?

Or...does the Emerson have a "rec out" or "radio out" phone jack? That could plug into your Mac as well.

7. MattTheCat

No record out on the Emerson. It's all self-contained. I'm thinking about having KAB modify my 1200 to 78 speed and then I can just pop off the headshell and throw on a nice 78 cart. BUT, some of the Thorens TTs have 78 speeds. So, the point is someday I'd like to upgrade from the 1200 to something nicer WITH a 78 speed.

8. Hypnotoad

Hypnotoad Active Member

Matt,
    Like a Garrard 301 :)
    I'm putting together a 301 system right now. Trying to figure out what needle I'll use to play 78's. I'm leaning towards a GE VR (or VRII), but I need to figure out a way to attach it to a modern headshell...

9. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Based on current VPI models I have seen, I suspect only 33.3 and 45 rpm are supported.

No word yet on Edison cylinders. ;)

10. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Really is a beautiful looking TT :love:

11. BigE

BigE Forum Resident

[QUOTE

No word yet on Edison cylinders. ;)[/QUOTE]

I think Harry is still working on the harmonic balancer upgrade before they release the Edison cylinder player.:laugh:

Eric

12. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Sounds like you have a beef with Harry's business model. Any particular reason?

13. BigE

BigE Forum Resident

Don,

You were born in the sixties correct? Remember the kit car craze? You could take a Volkswagen, buy a bunch of fiberglass parts and turn it into a "Ferrari".

That's the way I view VPI's business model. At the end of the day you've still got what you started with.

I have no beef with Harry. I just don't support the endless and expensive upgrade path. (Although I do own one of his fine record cleaners).

I just happened to have the extremely good fortune to be able to go from my entry-level MMF-5SE to what I feel will be my "last" turntable, the Nottingham Hyperspace.

Thanks for asking.

Eric

14. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I remember those kit cars well. I own a Rega who takes the opposite approach. They let the aftermarket do their upgrades and there's been some long arguments on this forum about them. Maybe VPI's smart about marketing and selling their own upgrades and making some money too. At the end of the day you have to decide for yourself whether they're worthwhile or not.

15. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member Thread Starter

I think your analogy is a bit off on this one. In your example the end result is a product that "appears" to be something it isn't.

Harry is the ultimate tinker, each product in the line is a fully realized product that holds it's own at each price point. As an example the rim drive was introduced because of customer demand for an idler drive. Harry himself initially posted on Audio Asylum that it sounded like a tire on the roadway.

Buy providing an upgrade path it allows you to buy a great sounding product and better it as funds allow.

16. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I'd have to agree with Tommy that the analogy doesn't really work. VPI is more like what many automobile manufacturers used to be, where there were base models, high performance versions, and everything in between with the ability to option as fit your performance goals and budget.

The point of VPI's upgrade path is that you can buy in at a low price point and then increase performance as your budget permits. OR, if you have the scratch, you can buy in at the top of the performance chain from the get-go. When I bought my 19 MK-IV, Nottingham was one of the other options I considered. I eventually went with VPI because of the ability to upgrade without chucking the whole 'table.

I don't see Harry's continued improvements as a "cheat," but rather as a nice show of customer support.

John K.

17. BigE

BigE Forum Resident

TT & the gage,

Fair enough.

I'm not knocking the Scout, Scoutmaster, SSM, HRX, Aries or any other of the VPI tables. I'm sure they're all great.

The underlying question here is that once you buy in at a certain price point, then spend the next two years (as funds allow) purchasing and installing all the available upgrades, do you end up with the best table at the new price point? (table plus upgrades)

Eric

18. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Ah, now that's an interesting question.

I can't say that I've heard another 'table at the price point of what I now have invested in my MK-IV (original purchase price, plus SAMA, Super Platter (I did get money for the old one sold), periphery ring, SDS (bought used)). Unfortunately I don't get to audio shows, have no shop nearby that has high end TTs, and have no friends into vinyl. I would love to do the comparison, though. And if I had all that money in one place now would I do it a bit differently? Maybe. I'd definitely check into what sort of used SME I could get.

John K.

19. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

I enjoy the upgrade path that VPI provides for its turntables. Some of upgrades provide good improvement (Super Platter, SDS, Ring), while others didn't provide much. (TNT feet) The super platter and SDS have taken my Scout to a level of quality that my stock Scout couldn't attain.

20. John D.

John D. Senior Member

I see these are on sale now, anyone heard anything positive about this turntable yet? After seeing the release pictures, I didn't think the platter was originally to be made from aluminum. Well, anyway I'm looking forward to the reviews. :cheers:

21. creativepart

creativepart Forum Resident

Funny you should say that. It was the 70's and I was head of marketing for Kelmark Engineering.

[​IMG]

22. creativepart

creativepart Forum Resident

About the 10.5i on the Classic, maybe this was recently added to the VPI website but it clearly says:

Special Edition JMW-10.5i SE tonearm - By giving up "vta on the fly" adjustments, you get most of the sound of the highly reviewed JMW-10.5i tonearm. A new less expensive base and mounting saves hundreds of dollars but gives up little in sound.

If you look in the Pricing section of the website the 10.5i Tonearm costs: $2,300 while the 10.5i SE costs $1,600.

23. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

In the "classic" days, you could buy a home for $2500.

24. bobrex

bobrex Active Member

What are you considering "classic"? My parent's home (3br split) cost $16000 in 1964. I'm sure homes were even cheaper in 1760!

25. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Ok, I just recieved my VPI Classic TT. The sound is gorgeous. It is very musical. The bass and mids are much better than my Thorens. The soundstage is wider and deeper. Very smooth sound and yet more clarity than my Thorens. There is very little background noise. The Classic runs very quiet. Set up and use is easy. Removing the Platter to get the foam out from underneath was a bit of a challenge. The Platter is heavy and I didn't want to bang the pulley. I don't feel the need to upgrade to the speed control unit. The speed was right on. The one caveat is the record clamp. I can see upgrading that thing. It is made of cheap materials. The clamp works great but having to screw that thing down after drinking a few can be a pain in the ***. I guess dropping a weight on the record would be easier.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.