VPI Introduces new "CLASSIC" turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TommyTunes, Jan 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

From VPI's website (appears that after years of seperate motors this one is stuck in place):

The “Classic Turntable” comes standard with the unipivot JMW-10.5i tonearm in rigid mount mode. The “Classic Turntable” uses new VPI pure copper wire, a solid plinth with black oak or walnut finish (at no additional cost), a solid mounted AC synchronous motor, silent inverted bearing, and new isolator feet. The “Classic Turntable” is 20.75 wide by 15.75 deep, and weighs 45 pounds. It retails for $2500.00.

The sound of the “Classic Turntable” is fast, clean, wide open, with deep powerful bass, and unequalled in speed stability. The “Classic Turntable” gives any turntable made regardless of price a serious run for the money.

This completely new design has produced the simplest and best sounding VPI to date. The main reasons for this are:

Speed stability on par with a master tape.
    Noise rejection that lets the “Classic Turntable” sit near four 15” subwoofers cleanly.
    Lack of random motion between the motor, platter, and tonearm giving the ultimate in low level resolution.
    Absolutely solid, non-resonating laminated one-piece chassis holding all components.

2. michael w

michael w New Member

Another back to basics table.

:righton:

It will be interesting to compare this against the Well Tempered Amadeus.

3. Waynefi

Waynefi Confused over the confusion ?

I wonder if that black plinth that the motor, platter and arm is on is one piece with the base, or if it is "unattached from the base like the HW-19 ?

4. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

see above description.

There are several ways of preventing motor noise from upsetting the 'playing chain' and Harry seems to be trying them in order; It's more about the final result than the techniques used, and Harry is happy with that result. If he's being true to the stated 'Like Empire and Rek-o-Kut' philosophy, the motor is fairly tightly mounted on rubber bushes; or maybe solidly mounted like Linn's.

5. Waynefi

Waynefi Confused over the confusion ?

I wonder what it would cost to recreate the HW-19 today in the 3 main types JR., III, and IV, just as a comparison to this new one at $2500.00 ? A few years ago talking to Mike at VPI about a problem I was having, we got to discuss a few things including that the HW-19 became pretty expensive to produce. "Speculating" on my part, it was probably beginning to be cheaper to create the Scout then the basic 19. Interesting though to bring back a more traditional looking table.

6. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member Thread Starter

I still have my 19 MKIV which was upgraded to the max, SAMA, TNT 5 Bearing and Platter, Super Armboard, SDS. Sounds very close to my Aries 3.

7. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I'm happy with my modified HW-19mk4.

With all do respect, I'm not a fan of VPI tonearms.

8. Doc Sarvis

Doc Sarvis Forum Resident

Looks extremely cool.

9. BigE

BigE Forum Resident

Another great choice for the incurable tweakaphile. I wonder how long the upgrade path will extend on this one? It's already showing the center clamp and ring clamp. Think there's enough room in there for an idler wheel?

Eric

10. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I bet the SDS will go with this as well.

I really want one of these...

11. BigE

BigE Forum Resident

You'll definitely need the HRX feet too!:righton:

Eric

12. Orlan K

Orlan K New Member

Is there an option for those who don't prefer unipivot tonearms?

13. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Doesn't it already have them? Seems so from the description, but the picture is not at the right angle to tell for sure.

John K.

14. Whatever1

Whatever1 New Member

The “Classic Turntable” comes standard with the unipivot JMW-10.5i tonearm in rigid mount mode.

What is the rigid mount mode ? How does this differ from an ordinary 10.5i ? What's missing ?

15. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

It means the fully adjustable VTA mount isn't included. The arm probably sounds better that way, but you can't twiddle the arm up and down to match each disk like some VPI owners like to do.

16. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

I was under the impression that by Rigid Mount Mode VPI meant that rather than mount the arm on an armboard that was mounted to the plinth, the arm is mounted directly onto the plinth.

Maybe a VPI owner can help out here.

17. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

If you go to the VPI web page and compare the 10.5 that is on the "Classic" and the 10.5 on the tonearm page, it is clear that the 10.5 on the Classic does not have the VTA adjustment. I guess there just was not room.

18. BigE

BigE Forum Resident

As in no room in the budget for that price point?

Refer to the endless upgrade path . . .

VPI = Variable Pricepoint Insured

Eric

19. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

While I'm pretty much a set it and forget it guy, the main reason I would want the 10.5i is for the on the fly VTA. Without, this table loses pretty much any attraction I had for it.

20. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Good catch Tony, I did not see that earlier. That may be how the get some of the cost of mfg out...

21. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

This seems deceptive to me.:thumbsdn:

22. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

Same as the Scout. You want the fully adjustable one, you pay extra.

23. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Why? They are not advertising Adjustable VTA from what I can tell...

24. Oyama

Oyama Senior Member

Here's a larger photo of the new turntable:

Attached Files:

25. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

They are advertising that the Classic uses a 10.5i tonearm, which features adjustable VTA on the fly, if bought separately. They didn't mention that the 10.5i on the Classic lacks this feature.
    I called Music direct. The VTA is adjustable, just not on the fly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.