Vinyl mastering credits and deadwax question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Spitfire, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Bump for SL.
    US SRC manufacture.
    Sorry for the crap-tastic picture.
    [​IMG]

2. Hello, Darrell Johnson back here after a long absence. I can enlighten you on who this mysterious scribe belongs to. It is Don Thompson who came out of retirement to help us at MCA Decca when we put a second cutting room online and were very busy with the likes of hit records from Elton John and country artists like Loretta Lynn.both of whom I did most all the mastering for. Don was a great fellow who had worked many years as a tape operator, recording engineer, and mastering / cutting engineer at Columbia Studios in Hollywood. Don is listed as Don E Thompson in Discogs. He had a most unusual background. He grew up in the wine-growing regions north of LA and was from the Thompson Family famous for the Thompson seedless grapes. He didn't stay around very long only a few months to help out during the time I was in transition to JVC Cutting Center. I still had a lot on my platter as I cut all the material from Owen Bradley in Nashville. Owen, his brother Harold and I had developed quite a bond around the fact that I grew up in the Clinch Valley region of Virginia and had an excellent ear for country and bluegrass that was native to my homeland. Owen gave me a shot at Loretta Lynn's "Coal Miners Daughter" LP and after that I became MAC Nashvilles go mastering engineer at MCA recording Studios at Universal City.

3. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Yeah, I found out about Thompson from you. On Discogs I recall. And I extend my thanks and appreciation, three years on. :tiphat:

I know now when seeing his etchings from either Columbia Hollywood or MCA. A few singles I have that he'd cut, now bear his name by the credit 'Lacquer Cut By'.

4. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

I have an AA1006 “Aja” that has PB stamped on Side B. Any ideas?!

5. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

Sure it's not P3? That would be a Columbia Pitman press I think.

c-eling likes this.
  6. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

Will check tonight. Thanks for the tip!

7. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict

Let me add another request for the identity of SL or LS. This is etched on a CBS Special Products cut of Springsteen's The River pressed at Electrosound Midwest, likely in the early-mid 80s. However the timing is speculation and not confirmed...

c-eling and patient_ot like this.
  8. c-eling

That's actually pretty neat, a Sony being done by Electrosound. Is it translucent?
    Wonder if it stands for Stamper Lease.

9. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

Regarding SL - I see at least one album with LS that is attributed to Ray Staff, who also had different pseudonyms on deadwax. Maybe that's him indeed.

c-eling likes this.
  10. c-eling

I've only seen his 'Rays' sig.
    I have a US Columbia House Club Genesis-Invisible Touch with SL, regular retail has Ludwig's sig.
    Staff being UK I don't think would make sense unless they were importing his stamper/lacquers.

Soundslave likes this.
  11. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict

Yes, it is translucent (referring to The River CBS Special Products pressing).

c-eling likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.