Vinyl mastering credits and deadwax question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Spitfire, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

The man instrumental in converting old used tires into a new formula for virgin vinyl. :D

2. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

Re:poco - Legend on the dark blue MCA Coral label with Platinum Plus embosssed on the cover. I have an original ABC -RE1 Masterdisk (no initials) pressing, but this LP has less deadwax and I was curious about the sound. It has a nice sound with deep bass (moreso than the ABC). The markings are Gloversville and a handwritten D.W.J. Any info on the mastering of both versions?

AA 1099-A MCA G2 D W J (in script) (Gloversville logo)
    AA 1099-B MCA G1 D W J (in script) (Gloversville logo)

The J is definitely not an I though. Whoever mastered it used all of the vinyl, grooves are spaced out with very little deadwax.

3. Bertly

Bertly Senior Member

Looking to find out who "KEV" is....Dead wax also has "Mastered by Capitol".
    Thanks.

4. tnt95

tnt95 Forum Resident

I have a question about MCA pressings that have Precision stamped in the deadwax. Are these considered good sounding, in general? I have a few MCA pressings with Sterling in the deadwax, that sound great, but was wondering about Precision mastered.

5. Buckyball

Buckyball Forum Resident

I think Precision is a pressing plant, not a mastering facility.

Edit: It looks like there is a Precision Mastering facility founded in 1979. So ignore what I wrote above.

6. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Some of my favourite LPs have Precision LE (Larry Emerine) or Precision SM (Stephen Marcussen) in the deadwax. Artists that come to mind are Ry Cooder, John Hiatt, The Pointer Sisters, Poco.

JG

7. tnt95

tnt95 Forum Resident

The LP I have has Precision SM in the deadwax. The record sounds great. I was just curious because most of my other MCA pressings from this band are Sterling and I hadn't seen Precision stampers before.

8. simonux

simonux Custom Title

do you know who signs with a star ? I have seen a Geffen/Universal/Scorpio reissue with a star in deadwax, could it be Greg Calbi ?

9. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Did you ever find out more info on this? Found a n/m with that stamp (Platinum Plus), but it has the old abc note orange/yellow face, it has DWJ hand written

10. AtlTrav

AtlTrav Forum Resident

Anyone have any clue about "MK"? it's on the new EU Kid A repress. Could be plant or mastering.

11. rollo5

rollo5 Forum Reprobate

I'm also trying to find out this info. Did you ever get an answer?

The Beave likes this.
  12. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

MK are the initials of a mastering engineer at Optimal Media Germany, but it is not known who he/she is or the real name as Optimal does not reveal that information.

Regarding Radiohead... I would search the non "MK" pressings, made en EU and with original matrix (just like the first pressings), it seems some of them are still being pressed (or were very recently) in Europe.

AtlTrav likes this.
  13. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

I've figured out what it was - another MCA mastering engineer, Brian D. Ingoldsby, had etched his lacquers with "B.D.I." - and on occasion, he scripted it so the "I" looked like a "J," hence the confusion.

Having said that, though, we may have an answer. On here, the "DWJ" initials later turned up on lacquers mastered at JVC Studios (located for a time at RCA's old "Music Center of the World" studio base at Sunset and Ivar). A scan of such a section was on the page for the one for whom such initials may belong - Darryl (W.) Johnson.

c-eling likes this.
  14. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Anyone see recent reissues Mastered by Capitol with "SH" in the deadwax? I think the "S" and "H" are on top of each other or vertical and between to lines/bars. The Donny Hathaway RSD release had this in the deadwax. Anyone know who this is?

15. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Mystery solved, thanks W.B.!

16. jeffmissinne

jeffmissinne Forum Resident

Here's the funniest deadwax marking I've seen; not unexpectedly, it's on Side One of Rhino's "The World's Worst Records." Hand lettered:

IF YOU MADE IT THROUGH THE SIDE, REWARD YOURSELF WITH AN EGG

17. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

I just bought First Aid Kit's Stay Gold and it has MK handwritten after the matrix numbers.

JG

18. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

How about the triangle with a tail (as the best I can describe it)? I'm sure I read an identification of this somewhere but I do not remember it.

It is like this, handwritten or inscribed:

|>---

but connected with no breaks (imagine the breaks filled in, in the above).

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  19. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

Looks like a "Winchester rifle". Capitol, pressed at the Winchester, Virginia plant.

JohnO likes this.
  20. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Thank you!

Muzyck likes this.
  21. Ben Sinise

Ben Sinise Forum Reticent

It's Kevin Reeves; he was at Capitol Tower Mastering from 1986-1997, later at Universal and Sterling.

22. rollo5

rollo5 Forum Reprobate

Thanks Ben!

23. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Oh yes, they can sound fantastic. Sometimes they also have the Winchester (rifle logo) or the Artisan logo ("a" that I used to mistake as a french horn - until I was corrected here.)

I have many Precision pressings. I've never heard anything but great sound.

24. Vynuhl.addict

Vynuhl.addict Well-Known Member

What looks like S H is IS, for Ian Sefchick, Capitols newest laquer cutter trained by Ron Mcmaster, from what I have heard so far I like his cuts, though from an audiophile perspective there is some room for improvement but they aren't as rolled off as some RM cuts can be :).

Colin

mikemoon likes this.
  25. 1970

1970 Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.