Vinyl mastering credits and deadwax question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Spitfire, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tougalor

tougalor New Member

those were great threads ! thks

2. Stark

Stark Member

OK, got a Masterdisk that I do not recognize, it appears to be a D within a C. It's on Garfield - Strange Streets.

3. "JA Tape One" - Jack Adams @ TAPE ONE. He and Dennis Blackman handled some of the David Bowie mid-price green label RCA International U.K. reissue LPs in the early 1980s. They sound great.

4. For Canadian LPs:

AcR or ACR - Usually found on RCA and Warner Bros. Of Canada LPs pressed from about 1970 to 1972. Stands for RCA. RCA, Smith Falls, Ontario pressed Warner's LPs, pre WEA (1972) as well as their own LPs in-house.

DM - CBS Records Canada, Don Mills, Ontario
    CBS Canada mastered and pressed their own LPs in-house, for most of the 1970s and early 1980s. They also cut LPs for WEA Canada, A&M (I think) and some Polygram.

TLC - The Lacquer Channel, Toronto

(CR) - Cinram Canada (It is actually CR in a circle, machine stamped)

SNB - Almost all Polygram Canada LPs from 1976 through to the mid-1980s were cut @ Sabine Brunet Mastering in Quebec. The N is his middle name, Nelson. Most of those LPs also had 230 next to the SNB. The 230 is Canada's country code, a system developed, IIRC, by Polydor U.K. back in the day. Some of you may be familiar with the "320" etching on W German LPs. Also the U.K. was 420.

Q - Up to the mid 1980s when they closed down, Quality Records Canada pressed LPs for several labels including their own and WEA Canada. If you see the letter "Q" by itself, that means the LP was pressed by Quality.

5. CBS U.K.

timtom - Tim Young, an in-house cutting engineer for CBS U.K. in the late 1970s to mid 1980s. The first LP pressing of the U.K. London Calling was cut by timtom. It's the best. Blows away the Epic U.S. and Canada LP sets.

6. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

30 posts and no mention of RVG or VANGELDER ????
    Maybe it's too obvious.

7. violarules

violarules Senior Member

VAN GELDER is not Rudy Van Gelder

8. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

Could you please enlighten us then...

9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

It's Chucky Van Gelder, Rudy's heretofore unknown black sheep brother.

10. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

Ah yes, Chuck. He made the wise move at some point to get out of the music business and into the tire business. Found his LinkedIn profile:
    http://www.linkedin.com/pub/chuck-van-gelder/1B/AB3/414

11. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

One that comes up in several of my LPs (the ones that sound very good):

STRAWBERRY

Either handwritten or machine-stamped.

Can anyone tell me more about it?

12. simonux

simonux Custom Title

13. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

U.S.PAT.# RE 23,946 G B PAT.# 713,418 (stamped/curved on deadwax of some mid-to-late 1950's albums on such labels as Riverside, Bethlehem, Key, Chapel and Warner Bros.) - indicates a pressing by Research Craft in Hollywood, CA (those patents, plus 2,631,859 which was on the label of many a Capitol and Capitol-distributed LP from the mid-1950's to the early '70's, were all held by Allan R. "Al" Ellsworth who was the head of Research Craft; all pertained to the raised rim of LP records, and the raised label area)

14. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

PYR (handwritten) -> ?

15. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Also, MP (handwritten)?

16. bcbassboy

bcbassboy Forum Resident

I just found a Bowie Station to Station with A-225/B-235 stamper? is that even possible, that many per stamper? I'll tell you, the album sounds pretty much like crap.

17. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Answering my own question: PYR must be Polydor.

18. simonux

simonux Custom Title

on a french pressing ? it's the same as MPO I think, Moulages Plastiques de l'Ouest.

19. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Yep, thank you!

20. Here's one I've never been able to figure out. The initials yc , always handwritten, in lowercase and usually very large. I've seen it on both CDN & US copies, mostly from early to mid 70's. First noticed on the London label early ZZ Top albums but I have seen it elsewhere, possibly early 70's WB?

21. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

I have an Atlantic US Led Zeppelin II with AT and what appears to be a W with a dot under it.
    Anyone know who mastered this? .

22. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

'AT' indicates it was mastered in-house at Atlantic. Not sure about the 'W', but probably an indicator of the pressing plant. As to who actually mastered it, someone suggested to me in another thread somewhere that unsigned Atlantic masterings were likely done by George Piros. . .

Edit: here's the post I was thinking of Who was AT?

23. thicko

thicko New Member

Hi all, newby trying to understand all this information provided on records ! At 53 I had no idea about all this. I just bought and played !
    On my LZ HOTH album it has been marked (now obviously) by Pecko (George Peckham) on one side. The other side is baffling me as it says " for mary ".
    Any ideas as to why or has anyone else had this, or like ?
    Thanks

24. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

I just picked up a copy of Poco - Legend on the dark blue MCA Coral label with Platinum Plus embosssed on the cover. I have an original ABC -RE1 Masterdisk (no initials) pressing, but this LP has less deadwax and I was curious about the sound. It has a nice sound with deep bass (moreso than the ABC). The markings are Gloversville and a handwritten D.W.J. Any info on the mastering of both versions?

Bump on previous post

I have an Atlantic US Led Zeppelin II with AT and what appears to be a W with a dot under it.
    Anyone know who mastered this?

25. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

I've some 45's from the 1971-74 period mastered by that Decca/MCA engineer(?) - except earlier (circa 1971) masterings showed the initials as "D.W.I." (written in straight text, unlike later where the signature was in script, which sounds like that's the case on your MCA Coral copy). I'm as curious as you are about this individual, who appears to come out of the West Coast. Can you advise as to the matrix info on each side of the deadwax of the MCA Coral issue?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.