Vince Guaraldi's "Jazz Impressions Of Black Orpheus" SACD vs. DCC Gold CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jamie Tate, Mar 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Look at the label I guess; the old blue Fantasy label. If the cover art is the ORIGINAL version you've probably found the right one.

2. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Thanks again. BTW, compared to the DCC Gold CD version, some of the piano on the Vince Guaraldi 'Greatest Hits' sounds like it was played on Schroeder's piano! :)

3. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

I have a copy of this coming. I've never heard it, but I'll give it a shot. If I don't like the music watch the classifieds. :)

4. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

Ouch! I love hearing info about things like this, but sometimes it really hurts to think of what almost was...

Oh well, in for a penny, in for a pound. Can you share with us what you wanted to substitute?

5. Steve Hoffman

I wanted to take off the studio version of one of the Black Orpheus songs (that we figured everyone had on the DCC Gold CD) and substitute the "Live At El Madator" long version with Bola on guitar.

Good thing it never came to pass though; Mal would have had a heart attack that we mucked with the original concept.

6. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

That would've been nice. The Black Orpheus Suite is a great showcase for Bola's guitar talent. I hadn't listened to this disc for a while. It's really beautiful stuff, but there is certainly room for improvement in the mastering (I'm listening to the 2000 CD combo of Live at El Matador and Vince Guaraldi, Bola Sete and Friends.) Not that it's 'that' bad, but relative to my DCC Black Orpheus, well... Did you have a chance to listen to the master for Live at El Matador?

7. Steve Hoffman

8. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

Gotcha! Thanks.

9. Steve Hoffman

That cracked me up!

10. stevemoss

stevemoss Forum Resident

Just had a DCC copy arrive in the mail today. I've got much of Vince's Charlie Brown output on CD, but am almost ashamed to admit that I'd never heard this album in any form.

Wow.

Just wow.

I've clearly never heard anything of his except from those midrangey EQed cutting tapes before. This is a revelation. And it's wonderful music.

11. Steve Hoffman

Steve, glad you like the Vince Guaraldi. Play "Cast Your Fate To The Wind" (the intro). I have a "playing copy" of the DCC that a pissed off customer returned many years ago and I still have his note:

"Cast Your Fate To The Wind". Severe buzzing noise in right channel in the introduction".

Of course that "buzzing noise" is the bass viol being played with a bow during the intro.

That always cracked me up. Guy was a total ijit.

12. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I spent the weekend getting a turntable dialed in and have this the AP 45 RPM on now. This is just fantastic and one of my favorite jazz LPs. I also have the DCC Gold CD but almost never play it (didn't realize the DCC was a SH master until now).

Love the severe buzzing noise. Sounds like a bass fiddle to me. :righton:

13. Steve Hoffman

That note is quite special to me. It reminds me that not everyone is on the same wave length when it comes to Audiophile releases. Since the person paid at least $24.00 for the Guaraldi back in the 1990's, he must have wanted a good version. Can't believe he didn't understand what the "buzzing" was..

14. Josquin des Prez

Maybe his system was so bad -- or badly setup -- that it couldn't resolve the bowed bass, and really sounded like buzzing.

15. Ragu

Ragu Forum Resident

The magic of the CD EXPERIENCE. When I worked in retail someone brought back a Kind Of Blue CD complaining about a fuzziness we listened to and figured out was the sound of how the trumpet actually sounds as you are in the very first part of applying breath.

16. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I have heard the DCC remaster and the 1990 Fantasy CD of this title and the DCC is much more lifelike sounding although the OJC isn't bad at all.

17. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I still have my red vinyl copy.

18. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

what does he mean nothing over "7000 cycles". i dont know abt this stuff....

19. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

20. DanG

DanG On Green Dolphin Street

Contemporary Records included the following information on their releases: TECHNICAL DATA: 30-15,000 cycles.

21. Having finally sprung for a copy of this, I can agree that it exceeds any digital version I've heard (although I would not put it in the greatest-sound-quality-ever category; there's still quite a bit of fuzziness/distortion/overload on the piano in some of the tracks, even though it's a lot better in that respect than whichever OJC I previously listened to, where it seemed pretty much non-stop).

The one thing I'm most curious about is why AP elected to use Steve and Kevin to cut the 45 version, while, right around the same time, they also had Doug Sax do the SACD. Why not use the same team for both projects, to try to get as consistent a sound as possible across them? At the very least, if AP had set it up so they were working more closely, at least Sax might have found out about the "missing" side one master tape. Why have it done right on one release, and wrong on the other?

22. George P

George P Notable Member

Just ordered a nice used copy of this DCC. Can't wait to hear it. I've never heard this album before.

23. Steve Hoffman

You found a copy of the DCC Gold CD? Near and dear to my heart. Enjoy it. Vince was a gentle soul who died way too young. He was a soft spoken musical maven. No one played like him, his stubby fingers, his own style. I've seen clips of him using his wrist to hit a chord if you can believe it, I mean the actual palm of his hand.

George P likes this.
  24. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks, Steve. I recently created two wishlists on amazon, both for DCC titles I do not own. Many are going for crazy prices, but luckily this one was under 40 shipped, with slipcase.

25. Josquin des Prez

Hmmm...I bought a copy in the 90s at a local record store and never realized it's in such demand. Maybe I should check it's worth and sell it. I have the AP 45RPM LP. I'd rather get some more vinyl.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.