Vince Guaraldi's "Jazz Impressions Of Black Orpheus" SACD vs. DCC Gold CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jamie Tate, Mar 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

I pulled out my DCC copy today and listened to it during the morning commute. It's still probably my favorite of all the DCC jazz titles. :thumbsup: Everything sounds so natural. I'll have to listen on the main system tonight. :)

2. jeffrey r

jeffrey r Member

I picked up the K2 of this album as well for $3 during the recent Concord sale, and do not find it bright at all. Sounds very good to me, and I love the album.

3. mtodde

mtodde New Member

4. heaudio

heaudio New Member

It's not like you can't have bad experiences on Amazon, though. What I do is contact the seller, make sure it's the gold, and ask specific questions about the condition. Good luck!

5. mtodde

mtodde New Member

You definitely have to look out for yourself and even when someone seems kosher they may not be. My deciding issue with eBay was not related to the quality of an item but their policy of not refunding shipping & handling on an item never received. That's a story for another thread though...

I think it is good advice when buying a LP or disc at a premium price to ask for pictures of the front & back side along with any artwork and jewel case or sleeves. I'm a music lover and not really a collector so I may accept something cosmetic that a collector wouldn't but I'm not forgiving of poor quality playback. With high resolution images I've noticed all kinds of problems and quietly decided not to buy them.

Let's face it there are a lot of folks that will take advantage of any type of collector...the best thing you can do as a buyer is to be very suspicious.

Now...I'm going to have to think about buying some music!

6. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Thanks! The U was throwing me off.

7. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

So who can recommend any other digital or analog Guaraldi? Awhile back I had asked about the Fantasy compilation and Jamie reported that it's "not hideous" :) I'm pretty familiar with some of his material, so any content and sound quality suggestions would be appreciated!

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

9. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member Thread Starter

:laugh:

Sometimes I get too technical. :D

10. stereoptic

Thanks for the recommendation, I just ordered a sealed copy from Newbury Comics
    Good Grief!!! :)

Yep, we are need to modify the glossary!

11. Matti Saari

Matti Saari Senior Finn

That's what is on it's way to this place. :)

12. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

:agree:

13. stereoptic

Well, I like every song on the album! I'll start exploring his music on an album by album basis. The piano on this collection sounds much 'raspier' as compared to the DCC.

14. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I would recommend Alma-Ville. It's the last album he released, recorded during his stint on the Warner's label. After Black Orpheus and the two Charlie Brown albums, it's my favorite Guaraldi disc. And the CD on Wounded Bird sounds fine, just a basic no-frills flat transfer.

15. Steve Hoffman

Well, go to All Music Guide and check out Vince's section. You'll need "The Latin Side", "Vince, Bola", etc. All neat stuff but don't expect the mastering to sound like the DCC Vince Guaraldi Trio I did. I hand babied that one!

16. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

Steve: I am listening to the Vince Guaraldi Trio "Black Orpheus" DCC Gold CD for the first time and there is one thing about it that I don't like--it makes me question all of the vinyl I have bought! It really sounds amazing--with the depth and realism of some of my best vinyl. I think I'm going to have to finally spring for the AP 45 and do a little comparo. As for the AP 45 of Charlie Brown Christmas, would you like to throw us a bone and give us some info on when Chad is going to finally release it? We're anxiously waiting.

17. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I second this--I like all of Guaraldi's output on Fantasy that I've heard so far! In Person and From All Sides (recorded with Bola Sete) are quite good, and I have yet to get The Latin Side. If you'd like to hear him as a sideman on a straighahead jazz set, check out Cal Tjader's Jazz At The Blackhawk, which also has Eugene Wright on bass and Al Torre on drums.

18. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Derrick Bangs' site is also well worth checking out... a complete listing of every album Guaraldi played on, both as a leader and as a sideman, along with ratings of the quality of the music.

19. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Don't mean to derail the thread, but I played the Shelly Manne DCC CD My Fair Lady today and thought I'd throw in a plug for it here, seeing as it's another excellent piano trio CD (Andre Previn on piano) and rarely seems to get a mention. Great music, great sound, and the DCC can be had at regular retail price.

20. stereoptic

thanks Steve. Would you recommend the vinyl?

21. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

Normally I try to stay out of the "XX pressing blows away YY pressing" discussions but I feel compelled to weigh in here: If you like the "Black Orpheus" album you really must try to hear the DCC. Every other CD pressing I have heard uses a dub for the tape source on some songs rather than the actual master tape (as has been noted before.) As a result, there are audible dropouts and a high level of hiss. Both the K2 and the SACD fall into this category.

The DCC sounds so much better than the K2 or the SACD. No fooling.

Just my .02, but I know there are others here who feel the same way.

Chris

22. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I'm very happy with the DCC Vince Guaraldi Trio "Cast Your Fate To The Wind" Gold Disc... Great music, love the disc so much.

I don't look for other pressings (Rock/Jazz/Blues)... when I own a DCC pressing (Gold/Vinyl) :D

23. Steve Hoffman

Good morning. The OJC reissue vinyl (with the blue label) version of Live At El Matador sounds very nice but still needs some good mastering to bring out the best in the piano. The rest on Fantasy? Well, it doesn't matter very much. The Latin Side is best on modern OJC CD. The rest? Sigh, Fantasy Records used "EQ Dubs" for cutting. A lot. So, if you can find the old LP's cheap, get them. If you can find the OJC CD's cheap, get them. Most of the Fantasy Guaraldi stuff wasn't actually issued on CD until the very end of the Pre-Concord era so the mastering is good. Problem is, when I was working on the unissued DCC Greatest Hits I found that the actual original mixes were marked....

(WAIT FOR IT!)

"DO NOT USE"

So, unless the Fantasy mastering engineers were feeling adventurous that day (which they never were when it came to Guaraldi for some reason), the reissue CD's as well as the LP's were cut from midrangy production copies which really screw up the piano tone (as you can hear on your "Best Of"). In fact, you can pretty much use your "Best Of" to determine what the rest of the songs will sound like from that particular album.

Still good music though. But, you can see that for many of these Fantasy albums it doesn't really matter what versions you get...

Remember: His time on Fantasy was his best work; don't forget that factoid!

Wait, just remembered something. The original Fantasy stereo LP cutting of "A BOY NAMED CHARLIE BROWN" uses the original "Do Not Use" tape and sounds amazing!!! They redubbed that a few years later (I would guess around 1966) for ease of recutting. That is one that is truly worth seeking out (as is the original stereo cutting of "A Charlie Brown Xmas") AVOID THE MONO of any Guaraldi Fantasy LP unless you get a minty copy for cheap because they are all fold-downs from the stereo tape. They sound fine in mono but why not get the stereo?

Please note that the above "SteveBlather" ignores the original two Guaraldi albums on Fantasy (Pre "Cast Your Fate"). Those two albums without drums were recorded in mono only.

24. Steve Hoffman

One of my jazz favorites. I clearly remember my middle school music teacher playing a song off of there to explain what improvisation was.

25. stereoptic

Thanks for the recomendations. One more question: is there a way to distinguish the original LP pressing of 'A Boy Named Charlie Brown' ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.