Views from 40 Years of Jethro Tull 1968-2008

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tootull, Jan 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony Caldwell

Tony Caldwell Senior Member

Ian claims in interviews that the coat was stolen by a member of Led Zeppelin's crew. The coat was a gift from his father.

2. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Agree totally there! And the recording "quality" of Benefit .........ewwwww!

3. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way Thread Starter

:)
    Interesting as David Rees wrote that the greatcoat was stolen by fans.

4. tootull

:agree:...ewwwww!

5. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

Hey man, it is not our fault that Benefit did not get the proper mastering job it was scheduled for by Steve. It is sonically lacking in large bits, but I still think it a great record, the bridge from Stand Up to Aqualung, and certainly not a collection of outtakes: With You There To help Me, Nothing To Say, To Cry You A Song, Teacher, Michael Collins, and Sossity? I LOVE that album...

6. tootull

I love the music on "Benefit" - it's the poor recording that needs kind attention to help the sound that's for sure.

7. mrbillswildride

Agreed, the sound need some lovin', and I'm glad you too appreciate its merits. I was just offer it some defense to the charges of "sounding like a bunch of out-takes from the first five years." That description does not do that album justice, sonic turd or not...But we all have different tull tastes...

8. tootull

I do! :D

9. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Thanks ! I'll go with that time frame.

10. mrbillswildride

:righton: :righton: :righton:

I liked the Broadsword avatar the best, of late... though there was a really tasty, classy one before it... :D

11. tootull

:thumbsup:
    :D

Ian on stage: 1973 (MLG)

12. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

:cool: Different strokes huh? :laugh:

Benefit is one of my Top 5 for sure, while Stand Up is one of my least favorites. I think Stand Up still has too much of that folky-bluesy vibe going, along with Ian's masked vocals. With Benefit the songs shed most of that and introduced that acoustic sound we all love, such as found on the single edit of Thick as a Brick. I also think Benefit has way far striking melodies on it.

13. mrbillswildride

14. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Can't someone close to SH get into his studio and snag that unused DCC mastering of "Benefit" and secretly share it with some of us. :D Come on!

15. mrbillswildride

You go in... I'll cover you... :shh: :righton: ;)

16. Glenn Christense

I was wrong . I said I saw Tull in Jan 69 , but it was February..with Zeppelin so if the coat was stolen by Zep's crew, I was at that show. Little did I know that history was being made. :D

17. tootull

hmmmm ?????

18. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

i saw them in summer of 1970 for benefit and spring of 71 for aqualung.it was really something to see them back then.the 70 show was at westbury music fair in the round but the moving stage was broken so they played facing one way although ian was up and down the rows and around the place.

19. tootull

Ian's coat was stolen in Ireland.

20. Glenn Christense

Oh , I thought the coat was stolen in Chicago . Ah well, I didn't see "stolen coat " history then . Great show though ! :)

21. tootull

Revisiting musical greats on film-Museum of Fine Arts, Boston

http://www.boston.com/ae/movies/articles/2008/04/05/revisiting_musical_greats_on_film/

Museum of Fine Arts, Boston:

22. Mr X

Mr X Forum Resident

I saw Tull play Thick as a Brick at the Nassau Coliseum on Long Island in May of 1972. It was a great show. My friends and I were big fans and listened to their first four albums a lot. When TAAB came out, we all bought it right away and we were excited that Tull was playing at a local venue. My father liked Jethro Tull and actually went to the show as well. He enjoyed it but said it was "a little loud" and "smokey". I recall that the Nassau Police Dept. were pulling-over and searching cars as they got off of the Meadowbrook Parkway at the Coliseum exit. I think they made hundreds of drug arrests that night.

I didn't see JT again until 2004 at Carnegie Hall. By that time Ian had lost his voice and Martin was the only other member left from the old days. It was a pretty good show, but paled in comparison to the TAAB show.

I have tickets to see them at Jones Beach in August. Two of the friends I am going with were with me at the '72 show.

23. tootull

Toronto Star memories of Maple Leaf Gardens

Toronto Star

24. tootull

from the Toronto Star, November 4, 1992

Views from 40 Years of Jethro Tull 1968-2008...from the Toronto Star, November 4, 1992

25. tootull

Jethro Tull @ The Lowry April 9, 2008

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...live_reviews/s/1044695_jethro_tull__the_lowry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.