Views from 40 Years of Jethro Tull 1968-2008

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tootull, Jan 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way Thread Starter

:cool: A ray of sunshine. :shh:

2. tootull

...great story, I know who you are. :laugh:

3. Zep Fan:

>Besides the wonderful "Thick As A Brick Tour" in 1972 (?)<

There were two TaaB tours in North America. One in early '72 (I attended one show), and the other one in the fall of '72 (they didn't do Canada on this one). And THIS is the one tour I would fly along with if I were to reincarnate as a migratory bird in some time warp (...or something)! Three reasons:

1) The entire TaaB performance, by then, must have been seriously broken in!!
    2) They now played the new pieces from the Château d'Hérouville summer sessions.
    3) They sometimes had the complete six-piece GENTLE friggin' GIANT OPENING the gig!!!

4. I am not sure about this, but wouldn't this had to do, instead, with some serious throat condition he developped in the mid 80s? (cancer?)

5. tootull

...early '80's - Ian Anderson had throat problems. Anderson said he had some kind of strain, an acquired muscular spasm, caused basically by singing.

6. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

I saw them on the Catfish Rising tour and had backstage passes for the meet and greet afterward. They were very nice and English. Dave Pegg was very nice and the first to come out. Ian was funny. Very quiet and small, with a white towel around his shoulders. He looked very suspicious of everybody in the room and always had his back to the wall. Almost like he was hiding. He signed my pass and drew a tit on my friend's pass. When I asked him to draw a tit on mine, he mumbled, "No, I can't... The money's not right." I don't remember Martin coming out, just Ian and Peggy. A cool night and they played really well.

7. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

Wasn't Ian Anderson anti-drug even in the early 70's?

8. rat1073

rat1073 Active Member

Too, I could use your help with a date on this one. Grand Rapids, Devos Hall, early 90's (?). My first and still only shot at a local gig, plus, the Martin/Pegg edition, as I am a life-long Fairport freak. In addition, a friend of mine, in the biz, who knew I'd be backstage, asked if I'd say hi to Doane, if I saw him, which I did. When Ian came into the room, he looked at me, and said, something to the effect of, "you look like you're into The Cure, who do you listen to?" He was only half-joking, but I told him that I was into Fairport Convention, and then he changed his tune considerably.
    I exchanged greetings with Pegg, and retired to the Irish-themed pub across the street. Only a few minutes later, the Fairport team arrived, along with some crew guys. Peggy and I closed up the bar, still have his card in my wallet.

9. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

I was at that show!!! Fall 1992. Ian also got fed up with the good natured shouts from the crowd during an acoustic set and snidely remarked "save it for Bruce Springsteen!" (who was in town the following 2 nights at the Skydome!)

Ian was thick as a "prick" that night. I was disappointed in his attitude towards the fans on that particular evening

10. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

It seemed to forever change around 1987 or so. He's had the "growly" voice now for 20 years (since The Wilbury's album in 1988!)

11. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

When did Tony Iommi play with Jethro Tull?

12. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

He was in Tull for two weeks in the fall of 1968.

13. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

And you can see him perform with them during their set on the Rolling Stones' Rock and Roll Circus film. Available on DVD.

14. Yes, but he is just miming, like the rest of the group anyway, save for Ian's vocals.

15. tootull

27/11/91 Grand Theater - Grand Rapids, Mi. USA

This one???
    13/8/97 Devos Hall - Grand Rapids, Mi. USA
    No support artist, so a longer Tull show, with interval.
    A Song For Jeffrey, Aqualung, Thick As A Brick, Dangerous Veils, In Sight Of The Minaret, Beside Myself, Misère, Farm On The Freeway, Bourée, Songs From The Wood/Too Old To Rock'N'Roll.../Heavy Horses - [Interval] - A New Day Yesterday, The Whistler, Jump Start, Flying Dutchman (intro)/My God, In The Grip Of Stronger Stuff, Nothing Is Easy, Locomotive Breath, Aquadiddley/Living in the Past/Dogs In The Midwinter (inst.)/Dambusters' March (inst.), Cheerio

16. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

I had a feeling you were at the show, Massey Hall gigs aren't to be missed, especially when it's a favourite band.

I mentioned the story in passing to another Tull fan, a guy I've known since 2003 or so....and he remembered it as well. He also remembered the Springsteen comment although not the exact wording, and he agrees with me that the Hamilton show from a few years earlier, was much better...Ian seemed to be in better spirits back then. He also did Mother Goose while in steeltown, a favourite of mine.

In fact, it was him remembering the incident so clearly that caused me to figure it would be good for this thread, especially with so many fans local to me posting here.

17. tootull

:shh: Anderson went to see Springsteen at the dome.

Hamilton Rock Island tour was the last big production show.
    Anderson mentioned the 20 years box and I yelled out I got it cheap. He turned his back and flipped the tails of his jacket and said "cheeky". I was in a section with MCA employees who were promoting the Rock Island album at the time. Everyone laughed. :D

18. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

yes! Very orange, very.....interesting....:)

19. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

Tull booked one night at the Universal Ampitheatre in LA during the Under Wraps tour ('84). A friend of mine who is quite the snooty one-up Tull fanatic, got good seats for the show, & kept rubbing it in. Later on, they booked a second night the night BEFORE the original date, so I got some tickets for it.
    During the concert, Ian made a comment about having voice problems, and if people didn't stop smoking, he would be off. Shortly after that , he was - they ended the show early.

The next night's concert was cancelled. It was my time to gloat to my good friend.:D

20. Ministry

Ministry New Member

Hi all,

Just popping in, having found this forum in my referral logs. :)

I'd strongly recommend that people don't rely on j-tull.com for forthcoming tour dates. It's not uncommon for that site to 'announce' concerts fully six months after tickets went on sale.
    I'm not just trying to promote my own site (honest), but I'll just say it lists fully-confirmed dates that j-tull.com doesn't....

That's correct. In the period Iommi was with the band, that was their only appearence, and Iommi didn't play: that means Tony Iommi never performed in public as a member of Jethro Tull.
    Not a lot of people know that... ;)

NRT
    http://www.ministry-of-information.co.uk/

21. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

So, I guess that means he was never audibly recorded with them ? I would say he "performed" with them in the film, even if he was really only a visual prop. :laugh: And, I would say not a lot of people know he was ever associated with Tull at all, performing or not performing.

22. rat1073

rat1073 Active Member

It had to have been the November of '91 date. The confusion over the venue is that Devos Hall is a part of the Grand Center, something that could have been listed as "Grand Theater". Many thanks, and sorry I missed that '97 show.

23. The whole legion of hard core Sabbath fans must know that for sure. But you're right about the "performance" thing; it was a film after all!

24. tootull

:wave: Welcome Ministry - drop in any time.

25. tootull

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.