Van Morrison Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pcpinfo, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I don't really agree with your assessment of the original Avalon Sunset and Enlightenment discs, but you've intrigued me enough to possibly try these remasters. However, I must say if they sound anything like the Avalon Sunset tracks on the remastered Best Of Van Morrision, I will not like them :sigh:

2. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Has anyone seen the second group of reissues yet? I've been searching for the Mini LP versions.

3. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

I dunno, I gave Wavelenth SHM mini-vinyl a listen and it's really a bit shrill, not on the highs, but what's worse on the mids. Sounds like a Rhino remaster if you know what I mean. I'm not sure if I'd be picking up the rest now...:sigh:What's the good sounding Wavelenth to compare?

4. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

The original U.S. Warner Bros. disc of Wavelength is very good.

5. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Yup :thumbsup:

(it's quality posts like this one that got me past 7,000 :laugh:)

6. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Still haven't seen the second batch:cheers:

7. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

I definitely have. Copies of Veedon Fleece and The Healing Game are in a lot of HMV stores at this very moment. Two weeks ago I bought a copy of Live at the Grand Opera House Belfast from an indie shop, when they weren't so widely available. It's definitely from the new series (the date on it is 2008) but there are no bonus cuts.

8. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I've seen them all in the used bins at a local shop. I'd like to have the bonus tracks, but not for $8 a pop.

9. matte76

matte76 Member

Allmusic.com writes this about It´s too late to stop now (not true?):

this is one of those titles where remastering has been supremely helpful in restoring some of the dynamics of the original LP, which were lost on previous versions.

10. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

That's an interesting statement. I had the first remaster of It's Too Late To Stop Now and now have the original Warner CD. The original is one of the best sounding live CD's I've ever heard. It's lovely and smooth, detailed, and with great dynamics. The first remaster was louder with less dynamics. I haven't heard the new reissue, but I find it hard to believe it would have better dynamics than the Warner CD.

On the general topic of AMG album descriptions, I refer you to the bottom of this one: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:09fuxqw5ldke. The old 80's CD is sub-standard (partly) because it's "lacking in volume" :biglaugh: The reviewer apparently doesn't realise his amplifier has a volume knob. Also I have that CD and it's not lacking in clarity at all.

11. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

It might be AMG but it's really just one person's opinion isn't it? No more or less valid than anyone else's.

For what it's worth, I disagree. As Russell said, the first CD issue sounds great.

12. matte76

matte76 Member

Where can I buy the first cd issue online? I would like to buy a new copy, but can accept a used one in good condition. Amazon?

13. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

It went out of print when the first remaster came out in 1997 so eBay or Amazon will be your best bets. Being in Sweden, you're unlikely to find one locally. I assume like the rest of us outside of the USA you would have got the original Polydor CD's for Van, not the Warners. I've heard good things about the original Polydor It's Too Late actually, so this could be an option too. In general though, I and a few others on the forum prefer the Warner CD's to the original Polydors.

There's some great VM CD reading here: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=144082. We'd love to hear your thoughts over there too!

14. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

I would agree here. The original It's Too Late on WB is one of the best Live sounding discs I have.

I got mine off eBay recently in mint condition for £9.

15. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

As I noted above, the new It's Too Late sounds very good, with big dynamics IMO.

16. serj

serj Forum Resident

Have anyone compared the remastered and non remastered Avalon Sunset CD's?

17. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

Weren't the next batch of remasters – including St. Dominic's Preview, A Period of Transition, Poetic Champions Compose and three more – due out tomorrow? Amazon preorder links were taken down for each of the releases. Are these releases in jeopardy?

18. Casagrande

Casagrande Forum Resident

I sure hope not. I pre-ordered St. Dominics Preview and A Period of Transition. The website then stated that the release date was september 26, now it says release date: unknown. :(

19. mrmaloof

mrmaloof Active Member

20. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Reviving this thread. Is there a consensus on the best CD version of Tupelo and Veedon? I recently purchased AW, MD and Choir from Japan and was quite pleased with them.

21. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.