Van Morrison Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pcpinfo, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markaudio

markaudio Forum Resident

Van MP3s

Where did you find the MP3s ?

2. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

not sure where he got those, but you can buy WMA's of these bonus cuts from 7 Digital

3. mrmaloof

mrmaloof Active Member

Thanks for the waveform posting and the comments! At least they don't look squashed to death, but there's no telling how it sounds, of course. I think I'll re-listen and see which of these seems to need a sonic upgrade the most (my recollection is Avalon Sunset, but I could be wrong) and give one of them a try.

- Joe

4. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

Waveforms are nice. Unfortunately they are just that - waveforms.

I can tell you that after listening to the original WB 2 disc ITLTSN I bought recently, it sounds so much better than the remaster(s) it's not even funny (and yes, my profile is filled out ;)).

5. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

That was probably me. I have since received a Japan POCP-2132 ('91) original pressing and I like it more than the first remaster. I was surprised that the sound of the Japan disc is quite close to the first remaster, with the remaster having more air than the POCP. The POCP pressing has the POCP sound you hear on many of those pressings and it seems to work here. The CD is not as muddy sounding as I remember the domestic pressing.

The POCP of "Veedon Fleece" also has this sound which gives it a feel closer to "Astral Weeks". My original US pressing has a richer sound. Both discs are good, both sound different, and neither is perfect. YMMV.

6. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

So I listened to the reissue of Tupelo. The sound is very similar to the Polygram version from the late '90s - maybe a touch louder but not much. Initially I was going to say it's clip city, but I'm not sure I can distinguish the sound of clipping from analogue distortion on the one hand and high-end EQ glare on the other. Certainly the distortion/crackle that's there on the title track is there on the Polygram version too, in the same places.

The harmonica on "Starting a New Life" seems to be quieter than on the Polygram - a possible sign of compression? But generally I doubt it: like most Van albums, this one is mixed to get NOTICEABLY LOUDER WHEN HE STARTS TO SING. I dunno. This is 'bright' as they say, but again, most early Van albums are, even Moondance and His Band which are 'original', 'flat' WBs.

Bonus tracks: Alt. version of "Wild Night" actually exactly the same (down to the phaser on the sax solo) as the album version, it just has a needless extended ending.

"Down By the Riverside" a joyful romp - I like it as much as the lesser album tracks.

7. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I may have to get Too Late to Stop to compare. Some of the songs on the Still On Top seem better, some seem a bit harsh to my ears.

8. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I've got a nearly complete set of VM Warners catalog and feel there is no need to upgrade. Warner Brothers were one of the few companies that did good to great transfers up front. The only title that they missed it on IMO was Fleetwood Mac's Then Play On.

9. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I have listened a bit more and I do feel there is compression in some places. Domino is very weird in that it's a very slow version, almost like somebody playing a tape back at the incorrect speed. It does not sound good slow.

10. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I did not like the sound of the one I listened to.

11. mrmaloof

mrmaloof Active Member

I listened to the Avalon Sunset remaster today and found it a distinct improvement over the original US CD. I didn't particularly like the sound quality of the original CDs of either Avalon Sunset or Enlightenment, so I thought this would be remaster most likely to succeed for me. On this string-drenched album it's really nice to hear the strings sound more like strings. There's a sumptuous feeling to the remaster that wasn't quite there on the original CD that's entirely appropriate to the material on the album. The Saints bonus track is pretty interesting too; the alternative take of Whenever God Shines His Light not so much.

- Joe

12. GKH

GKH Senior Member

"Wavelength" is a must have for me. We wore out that LP back in the day. Great album! :righton:

Ordered! :)

13. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Wasn't it rumoured that the master tapes couldn't be found for Then Play On therefore no remaster as yet? I'm hoping all the Mac albums from Then Play On until Heroes Are Hard To Find will get the treatment soon.

I haven't gone for any of these Van remasters as yet although I will be tempted by Veedon Fleece and St.Dominic's Preview when they arrive later this year. My current CD versions don't sound too bad but just depends on the extra tracks and the overall package. Will have to wait and see.

14. OK here's the good news--if you have heard the Polydor, these are very, very similar in terms of sound. I a/b'd "Wavelength" (I no longer have the original album or CD--you know the old "new improved remaster" phase that we all got suckered into) and didn't find it any louder overall. There was some slight differences with the newer remaster sounding slightly warmer to me. The bonus tracks on "Wavelength" are pretty good--two live versions of songs from the album.

I also picked up "Into the Music" as my original CD is missing (don't know where it crawled off to) which was an original Warner Brothers pressing on CD. Based on memory (we know how reliable that can be...), the new remaster is louder but not to the point that I detected clipping and I didn't feel that the remaster was brickwalled. Is there evidence of some compression? Yep but I can't find my original to do a fair comparison. The bonus tracks are solid with alternate versions of two tracks from the album.

I won't be picking up the rest of the remasters (fooled me once) and do wish I had kept my Warners but on the whole as remasters these aren't bad but they aren't what I really had hoped for either.

15. I did forget the bad news which is that these are louder than the originals.

16. Maggie

The next set seems to be out, but I haven't been able to find a full list. Does anyone know if The Philosopher's Stone will be included in this campaign?

17. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I'm looking to get a promo box!:cheers:

18. Maggie

Finally had the chance to play my copy of the new version of It's Too Late To Stop Now, with the bonus track. Have to say, it's a really nice-sounding record; this is my first copy so I've nothing to compare it to, but can't really find fault. Sizeable dynamics (except on "Domino", which is awfully loud throughout), spacious soundstage, neither dull nor overbright and not fatiguing to listen to at top volume for the entire 100 minute duration. Could be that this is just a good recording that's tough to bugger up. Better than the others in this series I've heard at any rate.

Must say, though, that the bonus track (a version of "Brown Eyed Girl") is really needless - sloppy and anemic.

19. JohnB

JohnB Senior Member

It's a shame they chose to use this as the bonus track here, considering what was left off the album in the first place. The original acetates for the 3 LP version had some killer renditions of Purple Heather and Sweet Thing among others.

20. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

I think it's great. Loose & improvisational, not sloppy, just like the versions of just about every other track on the album.

21. jjay

jjay Forum Resident

I just received the new 2008 remaster of Inarticulate speech of the heart. I was hoping that there would be an improvement but sad to say it's not. The trade off was better definition/improved bass for a brightness that does not help this music. I don't want to be one of the people who purchase remasters then complain about how they sound so I am going to be more selective about remastered cds.
    I have made a decision to purchase a turntable again after 20 yrs of cds. I am just tired of getting loud, compressed music which is fatiguing to listen to. Cds I cannot find decent sounding discs I will buy vinyl instead.
    I am not saying I will not purchase cds but I will be limiting purchases such as Mofi or cds which I have a reasonable chance they will sound ok.
    Not all remasters sound like this new Van Morrison title but I am tired of being disappointed. Do they think that mastering cds this bright sound good?
    Jim

22. mrmaloof

mrmaloof Active Member

Enlightenment from this new batch is another winner compared to the original US CD release. Once again, the big difference is that the instruments sound more real - the vibes in "Start All Over Again", the quarter note drum pattern that starts off "Real Real Gone", the horns throughout the album. If anything these remasters are less bright than the original US CD issues. It is a shade louder but there are still plenty of dynamics.

Now that I've gotten the two remasters that replace less-than-optimal original CD issues from 1989/1990, I will probably try out one where I am comparing to an existing remaster. Wavelength sounds like a good place to start based on Wayne's review.

- Joe

23. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

See my previous posts 69 and 79 regarding Wavelength, etc.

24. jjay

jjay Forum Resident

On the basis of only one of the 2008 Van Morrison remastered cds i disagree with the above statement.
    I can only compare the non remastered Inarticulate speach cd with the 2008 remastered cd of the same title. On my system the new cd is considerably brighter and shrill sounding. I guess I prefer a smoother presentation than this new remaster sounds on my equipment. Again for what I hear on my system, the definition of instruments and the clarity of the bass is improved, but the brightness/ fatiguing sound is also there.
    Jim

25. mrmaloof

mrmaloof Active Member

Hi Jim,

Sorry for the confusion - I am not talking about Inarticulate Speech of the Art, an album that I have yet to hear in any version. By "these remasters" I was referring only to Avalon Sunset and Enlightenment, which are in comparison to late-80's/early-90's original CD issues which have long been in need of quality remastering. All the other CDs compare to multiple earlier issues or original CD releases that were just fine sonically.

- Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.