Van Morrison Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pcpinfo, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Thanks :wave: I was excited to find it. Tried a few different avatars, but I think this one's a keeper.

2. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Packaging of Van Remasters??

How are these packaged? Are these standard jewel case releases. I thought I read about Mini LP CD releases.

3. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

They are standard jewel cases. They look more or less like the 90s remasters (even the gold stickers look vaguely similar).

Here's a strange point no-one else seems to have noticed. Into the Music doesn't seem to be available in Canada. I assume the problem is licensing (same reason why we didn't get the 90s remasters for ITM, CM, BV, and ISOTH, except as pricey imports) but I thought those problems had been specifically sorted out for this series. That said, unlike the other records in this series, these four have not gone out of print in their original 80s versions. Still, it's a pity we won't be able to get at those bonus tracks. Unless it's just a delay.

4. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

welcome to the forum Maggie. I see its your first post.

5. curbach

Those remasters were never issued in the U.S. either, and the originals are still in print here too. And the new Into The Music remaster shows as an import on Amazon. Apparently, Van's back catalog rights are still a bit of a mess due to his various fallings out with different managers and record companies :shrug:

6. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Thanks!

Anyway, I hardly see the point of a big-scale worldwide roll-out of these remasters if they're going to be unevenly distributed by territory. ITM may be a masterpiece but damned if two bonus tracks are worth $20 and that goes double for the next three.

7. QuestionMark?

QuestionMark? 4TH N' GOAL

I stopped at a Best Buy today and they didn't have any of them. He looked on the computer and found release date was 1/29/08 and the price was 13.99 each. How lame not to have them on the shelves. :confused:

8. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

i agree the cost for 2 new songs is keeping me from getting them.

please join us in the album by album van morrison thread....here

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=132859&page=27&highlight=van+morrison

we're about to discuss No Guru.....

9. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I think they sound good.

10. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

They are being released as mini-LP CDs in Japan. I've already pre-ordered 'em via CD Japan. Different mastering, too (that "SHM" business ...).

11. QuestionMark?

QuestionMark? 4TH N' GOAL

Thanks. Maybe I'll just wait for these if they're gonna be different mastering.

12. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

Found a WB Wavelength CD today - will compare soon.

13. curbach

I'm predicting the WB will win hands down. That's a pretty good sounding disc.

14. mrmaloof

mrmaloof Active Member

I'm not a big fan of listening with your eyes, but I would be very interested to see the waveform of Wavelength or a similar type of track. You can't hear audio quality on a waveform, but you can get a rough feel for the degree of compression / limiting used.

For my ears, the original versions and the older remasters each have their good and weak points, not necessarily consistent across the series. In general I prefer the older remasters but there is certainly room for improvement. But there's also room for backtracking on the sound quality of previous issues!

- Joe

15. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

You are correct, Sir!

No waveforms here, can't listen to 'em. Save your money on the new reissues, unless you absolutely need the bonus track(s).

So, which of the previous remasters beats the original CDs?

16. curbach

Someone in the Van Morrison album-by-album thread preferred the remaster for A Period Of Transition. Granted it would be no great feat to improve on the sound of the original WB disc, but given the other remasters I've heard I'm dubious. At one time I thought the remaster of Inarticulate Speech Of The Heart was an improvement, but that was a long time ago and I'm now doubting myself. Need to re-acquire the original to compare. Otherwise, the best I can say about any remaster I have heard is that Poetic Champions Compose sounds pretty similar to the original U.S. Mercury.

17. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

Thanks!

Anyone have an opinion on St. Dominic's and Veedon Fleece (remaster v.s. original)?

18. jiminiss

jiminiss Senior Member

any veedon fleece is better than no veedon fleece(it being one of the most beautiful recordings ever made), but no u.s. digital copy is as good as it should be.

i never compared my orig to the remaster, but both paled compared to the analog copies i have. i gave my orig cd copy to my daughter years ago as part of a package of essential listening for her many hours spent driving to her gigs. but it had always left me yearning for the sound of the vinyl, and when i got the remaster i felt at least as dissapointed.

it really is needledrop time i guess...

19. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

Listened to it again (after the WB)... Ouch

Good for killing mosquitos though. :rolleyes:

20. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

It amazes me that people on this Forum continue to buy remasters of 60's and 70's material after being burned time and time again. There are occasional exceptions -- the Stones SACD's and uhh, can't think of any others off the top of my head.

Anyway, I will be looking for the original pressings being dumped by people buying the remasters instead.

21. MBERGHAU

MBERGHAU New Member

Anyone know if the artwork/liner notes are improved?

22. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I agree. All the Warner Bros. CD pressings sound nice, especially HARD NOSE THE HIGHWAY, VEEDON FLEECE and A PERIOD OF TRANSITION.

23. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Yes, that is one area of improvement. But you can't listen to art.

24. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

I managed to download mp3s of all the bonus tracks excepting those from Tupelo Honey.

I never thought I would use the word "inessential" about anything by Van, but save for the wondefully loose live version of Brown Eyed Girl, the remaining tracks are, unfortunately, inessential.

I look forward to hearing the Tupelo tracks though.

25. Starwanderer

Starwanderer Senior Member

I've bought It's Too Late to Stop Now today. Although I've only listened through my computer speakers, the sound is a bit harsh. Not pleasant at all IMHO.

I'm posting some waveforms of Into the Mystic and of Domino for you to see as well as two WAV samples so you can listen to for yourselves :)

Into the Mystic

Domino

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.