Van Morrison Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pcpinfo, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomd

tomd Senior Member

It sounded pretty good to me(I have tubed pre and tubed power) but to each his own I guess

2. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

Indeed. And I'm a tube-amp guy myself.

I should add that I did think the remaster was fine ... until I obtained the old WB CD. At that point I found I really preferred the earlier issue.

3. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

my experience exactly.

4. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

Seems this will be only the Universal titles as Undercover.com.au is reporting that only the 1971-2002 catalog is getting the re-master/re-issue treatment. This would definitely indicate that the earlier stuff like Astral Weeks is not part of this series. Having said that, at least it will be nice to have the catalog back on the shelves and hopefully in good condition with decent sound.
    Heres the article:

5. sectofone

sectofone Forum Resident

Wow!! Cheap Prices ...

I see CD Universe has these listed at a mere $11.16 each now!! I haven't checked any other online webstores to compare, but at that price it's hard to complain (considering I never picked up most of the titles in the last batch of remasters, as they were selling at over twice that price locally -- & that was ten years ago!!!) :rolleyes:

I know there's still the sound considerations to worry 'bout (ie: brickwalling / maximizing), but with a low purchase price at least I'm more willing to take the risk. :righton:

6. DJ WILBUR

well thats a solid price, really these shouldnt be top list price anyway. I'm very curious to hear some of these myself, though I'm not expecting to ditch my entire collection as these meagre bonus offerings...when we know what is out there, seem down right stingy to me.

7. jiminiss

jiminiss Senior Member

anybody get to hear any of these a day early, by any chance?

if so, hows the sound?

8. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

The Polydor Van Morrison remasters were probably the first time I realized I preferred the old CDs. The new discs weren't awful by any means, but the tonal balance on the earlier discs was more natural.

9. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Tupelo Honey remastered by Tim Young, Metropolis Mastering

10. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Metropolis is the same group that did the first round of Polydor remasters. Not a good sign. . .

11. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

If you have Van Morrison at The Movies or the Still On Top comps, it will sound like those. I have At The Movies and I think it sounds good.

12. DJ WILBUR

dont count on that. they came out on a different label than the reissues are coming out on. Those comps were on Manhattan and the reissue/remaster program is universal.

13. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I think it was still Tim Young. I'll check though.

14. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I saw them at Amoeba L.A. today. I was tempted to get TUPELO but 14 clams is a high price to pay for a bad remaster...

15. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Cowards!! :laugh:

16. jiminiss

jiminiss Senior Member

I finally learned my lesson with the Zep stuff.

But from what was posted this afternoon in the other active Van thread here; these are likely more of the same:

loud loud loud.

:shake:

17. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

I bought Wavelength today and think it sounds decent (vocals are a little bright). Don't have any other CD of this title to compare.

18. tcj

tcj Senior Member

Hit the stores! As expected, people are dumping their old VM discs in favor of these new ones. I'm just getting into him and picked up quite a few of the previous round of remasters (I wish they'd been the original editions, but oh well, they're not awful sounding.) Got the Polydor remasters of Tupelo Honey, It's Too Late To Stop Now, and Wavelength and also picked up used copies of Astral Weeks and Moondance while I was at it - $35. My wife is going to hate this - she can't stand Van Morrison! :)

19. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

So anyone heard 'em? They are going to be issued in Japan on SHM mini-vinyls next month and I'm allready preordering!:righton:

20. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I prefer the Polydor pressings (remastered by Ian Cooper)!!!!

21. jiminiss

jiminiss Senior Member

picked up the remastered Tupelo Honey today. just listened.

i do not have the older van cds on hand. i did not like the last go-round on any and i never had the first of TH. my van is almost all on vinyl. i will not bother going to put my best pressing of TH to compare - except for the rare poorly mastered/pressed lp i do not find digitally processed /pressed copies of analog recordings to be anywhere near as good as the analog, nor do i expect them to be as good.

so my reaction to this is a reaction to this and not "as compared to" anything.

yup. it sounds like its squashed some. but not to the point of making it unlistenable.

uh-huh, its a little loud. but not to the point of having no dynamics left. i mean, its not like putting on the arctic monkeys or zep mothership cds.

despite the observations i've just made it sounds musical enough for me to be able to enjoy it. well, ok there were moments here and there where i noticed i did not like what i was hearing, but mostly it was not horrible and therefore i was able to enjoy it, especially the 2 extra cuts. which is why i am bothering to write this.

interesting note on the long (5:37) Wild Night alternative take (hmm...i thought they were alternate takes?). the vocal does not sound like it was piped in from a hallway outside the room in which the instruments were being played, as it does on the regular take of this song (perhaps on this mastering more than others, but its always been that way including on the vinyl so i've always assumed it was an intentional "effect", and really special at at that!).

here, at last, is my point. maybe i'm the only one without the secret decoder ring, but i have never heard the two additional tracks before, and people - they are FOUND GOLD!!! I am actually shocked that noone has posted anything about how incredible the longer Wild Night is (its found platinum, or found aurora borealis even).

in my world, this is very important goings on. i want to shout from the rooftops to turn people on to this. wait til you hear Van f'in coo to you just past the 4 minute mark. good grief people, how can noone have gotten on to post about the MUSIC that has been revealed here, and not just about the dang sonics (not that anyone's said much about that either) ?

this cut is so good that even if it sounded like it was recorded on a cell phone with a bad connection the sound quality should be soooo secondary to the performance that it shoulda been the buzz since its release last tuesday.

i don't get it. the title of the forum reads "music"..corner. i just don't get it...

22. jiminiss

jiminiss Senior Member

anybody else heard this "wild night" ?

23. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Nope. May be I'll pick it up on iTunes, but I am emphatically not going to buy inferior remasters to acquire a paltry selection of bonus tracks that ought to have been released on a Philosopher's Stone Vol. 2. A fan ripoff of the highest order :sigh:

24. jiminiss

jiminiss Senior Member

can't argue with that. in fact i would recommend picking it up like that before forking out for the remaster. but this cut imo is such a fantastic nugget of van the dour during his sunlit period, that it is really worth grabbing somehow.
    but it still surprises me that nobody else here has heard this cut and is impressed by it.

oh well.

25. live evil

live evil Senior Member

off topic - but curbach that is the coolest avitar I have seen on this site.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.