Van Halen III - 20 Years Later

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Guy Gadbois, Feb 26, 2018.

1. AngusStanley

AngusStanley Forum Resident

He also absolutely butchered “Sounds of Silence” with Simon and Garfunkel. Sounds like a Shreds video!

2. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Sounds to me like a combo of him being completely unfamiliar with the song, and it being a structure that he wasn’t used to improvising over. It’s not a complicated song to solo over but, at the same time, very different than what he usually did so his instincts weren’t correct. He was definitely capable of nailing this, but he was caught with his pants down that day.

Blastproof likes this.
  3. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

Ironically, you guys didn't see that coming.

4. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Ha! Good one.

Dan

5. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

I think sharing the publishing is the way to go. For example, if you're the songwriter, you take 50%, band gets the other 50%.

ElevatorSkyMovie likes this.
  6. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

Yes he was on Letterman

Agree about the songs from Sacred Sin being totally forgettable.

Matthew Tate, Ryan Lux and Rufus rag like this.
  7. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

And Eddie on SNL...
    I didn't remember this as much as him on Letterman with them doing an instrumental version of Panama there.
    26 second clip

link to the song audio only
    https://youtu.be/iJbwX7p5-30
    2 mins. 59 seconds

Matthew Tate, kdd21 and Rufus rag like this.
  8. Touch Too Much ’79

Touch Too Much ’79 Iamtheworldthathidestheuniversalsecretofalltime

I like Extreme and I love Van Halen but never the twain shall meet I reckon.

Two and a half decades down the line and it’s an album that just continues to disappoint. It’s either boring or irritating depending on the day, usually both.

Cherone not being the right guy and subpar songs from EVH was only ever going to lead to what we got, a huge meh pie.

9. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

Hahaha, why do you know that….?

supernaut likes this.
  10. Mooglander

Mooglander Forum Resident

It's well-documented, not to mention it's in his book. What, you didn't read it!? ;)

supernaut, BKphoto and 905 like this.
  11. DankFridge

DankFridge Forum Resident

Didn't even realize the Extreme pun. I see what I did there.

supernaut, MikeInFla and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. Race Frehley

Race Frehley Forum Resident

13. DownInAHole

DownInAHole Forum Resident

Not a massive Van Halen fan myself but did Ed really play drums on the album? If so, did Alex play on any songs? Is this common knowledge that passed me by all these years?

14. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

Just seems like Mike Post wants to pass the blame…if he could tell Alex that he didn’t feel like he was up to the task, surely he should have told Edward that the songs were terrible….

walrus and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

God, it’s just so depressing that this album even exists at all.

Trader Joe likes this.
  16. Touch Too Much ’79

Touch Too Much ’79 Iamtheworldthathidestheuniversalsecretofalltime

:biglaugh:

17. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

18. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

I've never seen that. I'm sad that I have.

Use_Your_Koala and jumpinjulian like this.
  19. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

It's time for everyone to realize that it's not the singers that deserve the blame, when there is any to give out.

20. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

I think it was more "Roth was back in the band for a minute, blame the guy who replaced him for everything that went wrong afterward".

21. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Gary was hardly the party front man that Van Halen always had and needed on III. Gary did the best he could with the calamity that is of VH III. Van Halen sole record with him did not review well: critics proclaimed it the kind of bloodless, bland rock you’d normally expect from those bands who used to trail in VH’s wake... like Extreme.

III selling only 500,000+ copies when Van Halen albums before it moved 2,000,000+. I remember when the album was released a friend and I bought it at the now defunct Wiz electronics store. Listening to the CD we had come to the realization III was all over the place but at the same time did have a different sound. We didn't mind the new sound as much but the calamity of disproportionate sound emanating from those speakers was a bit overwhelming.

Even after several listens in 1998 I didn't get it. I just forgot about this album and would spin it throughout the years occasionally. Twenty six years later and it's still rather confusing. Recently the last two years of listening to this album I've taken a more acceptance stance on it. An odd era for Eddie and the band, dark uncertain days for Van Halen. My friend and I were just happy to get another Van Halen album in 1998.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2024
  22. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Well, if you saw anything for that tour, Gary definitely brought a party! It definitely wasn't Dave's party or Sam's party - those of you that have seen it, know what I mean.

And I don't know what party one can throw with Ballot or the Bullet - I guess a political party? :D

23. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

The tour was excellent. As I had never seen Roth with VH at that point it was great to hear some of those songs live that I'd never seen them play.

24. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

They never bested "1984" (imo).