*UPDATED* Message from Allan Rouse @ Abbey Road BEATLES CD's (SEE POST 84)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Aug 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. Uh........there's some threads other than Beatles??????:confused:

I need to read that....ya gotta link? :wave:

2. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

It's kind of nice to get facts here instead of the usual speculation and wild guesses.

3. Alex Washington

Alex Washington New Member

:thumbsup:

4. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Allan,

Thank you very muich for your posts and explanations. Abbey Road Studios have obviously been following what people are posting here and you've been taking their suggestions to heart.

Evan

5. william shears

william shears Senior Member

Mr Rouse, you're a stand up guy. It takes bolas grandes to front up to the oft annoying obsessives who inhabit this place (I include myself of course, help is probably needed but I suspect I have not hit bottom yet...)
    The hat is tipped:thumbsup:

6. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

I met Rouse back in 2001, very quickly. We were introduced by the Restaurant manager at the time, Victor Varanda (I guess he can remember that) and we shook hands. He was holding something related to the Beatles and just by the simple glance of that box he had in his hands it drove me nuts!

7. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

Hello Allan. I'm really looking forward to hearing your work. Hearing The Beatles music in a different light is like hearing the songs for the first time again.

Thanks to you and the gang at Abbey Road for putting forward such an obvious effort to please the Beatlemaniacs.

One quick question; how did you all go about creating a master for the single version of 'Love Me Do' where the only source available to the compilers of PAST MASTERS was a vinyl pressing?

8. Dinsdale

Dinsdale Dixie Fried

Indeed. This is the first remaster thread I've read since the announcement.

Thank you, Allan.

9. wallybryson

wallybryson New Member

Many hours of hard work completing this massive project, It's really not fair to comment, or critique anyone's work until it's released.

Thanks for posting and correcting some misinformation posted here.

10. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

You got the best point so far...16 threads on something that's still due...go figure!

11. thebeatles67

thebeatles67 Forum Resident In Memoriam

Thanks Allan--just the fact you care to acknowledge us on the Hoffman Forum is great. Thanks sincerely.

Mike

12. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Same here. Seems like things are incredibly hectic and I really appreciate your time and sharing your knowledge with us! Thank you Allan!!

Dan

13. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

I think the former "Past Masters" used,for the first time,the Mastertape of the song (Or,was it also copied from a Vinyl Source? anyone here know?)..the "Rarities" used the Vinyl Dub first...I don't think there is any surviving Tape Masters,sadly.:shake:

14. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

Dear Mr Rouse,

I know this is probably an awkward question to answer, but on the off-chance you're able to is this (limited?) edition mono box set the VERY last chance to purchase these versions of the albums? Is this 'it'?

Many thanks, and thank you so much for posting on this forum, showing us you all care about our concerns, and giving this release a little more of the personal touch which we're all thankful for.

Best,

- John

15. wallybryson

wallybryson New Member

Thank you.

16. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Here's another 'Thank you' to Allan for the straight-forward comments on the remasters. Man, I love this board at times like this.

17. kiddo4

kiddo4 Forum Resident

Thanks for the info!
    the internet is amazing... :)

18. EveryLittleThing

EveryLittleThing New Member

The "Past Masters" version is a needledrop, just like the US "Rarities" version. The master tape from the Ringo version was destroyed long ago, sadly.

I've heard the "Rarities" version was copied off of a Capitol of Canada single of "Love Me Do," which was a needledrop (Capitol of Canada didn't bother getting a tape for the single, they just used a Parlophone single as their master). So, technically, the "Rarities" version is actually a needledrop of a needledrop. Makes your head spin, doesn't it? (Mine did when I first heard that story.)

19. Winter Hugohalter

Winter Hugohalter New Member

I still think the "Rarities" version sounds better than whatever source (A Parlophone single, I presume) for the Past Masters disc. Though the fault is the mastering, not the source.

20. Allan, many thanks for the follow up.

21. SgtMacca

SgtMacca New Member

Thanks Mr Rouse!

And please, give us remixes!. I loved YS Songtrack (well, most of it :D).

I'll buy the remasters but I'll be waiting for remixes.

22. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

Thank you Mr. Rouse :thumbsup:

23. letmerollit

letmerollit Forum Resident

+999 :thumbsup: :righton: :agree:

24. jorgeluiz

jorgeluiz Forum Resident

Mr. Rouse.
    some requests...(i can't lose this oportunity)
    we love Ringo and Paul too much, send our message.
    send our love message to John and George family too.

in next future 5.1 remixes of all albums like was done in Love DVD-A.
    who knows? fans can dream.
    my respect, cheers!

25. kelhard

kelhard Forum Resident

Listen to the original "With The Beatles" CD on headphones and you'll hear the downfalls to this.

Needless to say I'm glad Mr. Rouse posted here, yet still disapointed that they are using the 1987 digital remixes of "Help" and "Rubber Soul"

As for the Ringo version of "Love Me Do", they probably used the "Past Masters" remastered needledrop dub. Why would they go to the bother of locating a pristine copy of the original vinyl 45 and master from that when they can slap on a digital tape. IMHO, the best version of Ringo's "Love Me Do" is found on a "non-official" DESS collection. This was a direct digital dub of an original Parlophone single (so its been reported by the Doc) so its as close to source as we'll get. I didn't know the Canadian Capitol single was a needledrop. That's a nice tidbit of info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.