*UPDATED* Message from Allan Rouse @ Abbey Road BEATLES CD's (SEE POST 84)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Aug 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

Required reading for the remasters thread!

2. PaulT

PaulT Spuzzum

Interesting read; thanks very much for that!

3. Tone

Tone Senior Member

Great work Allan..... These sound really, really good. Well done.

Can't wait for the vinyl. :)

4. Well, that just goes to show. We matter!;)

Thanx, Allan.:righton:

5. dwmann

dwmann Well-Known Member

Thanks for the clarification. Very much appreciated!

6. rewind1964

rewind1964 Forum Resident

Allan,
    Thank you for taking the time to give us all an insight on the project.
    I appreciate the efforts of you and your team and look forward to hearing the results of your work. I certainly do get your sense of humor. It appears to be close to my own! lol!

Ken

7. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Just a clarification needed: is he saying that the '87 CDs were also mastered from the original tapes?

8. wallybryson

wallybryson New Member

Yes, thanks for setting the record straight. Speculation, and rumors can be a distraction, plus unfounded. Great posts, and communication.

9. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

Thank you, Allan, for taking the time to write to us. It has me eagerly anticipating Sept. 9th all the more. I'm looking forward to enjoying everything you've worked so hard on the last four years.

10. jorgeluiz

jorgeluiz Forum Resident

please, don't read my question as stupidity, was hard to do that here in the middle of gods and wises and can be completely off-topic.
    i'm proud and thankful of Allan Rouse message posted here.

i don't know the physical dimentions/size of the mono head used to record but full track head can read the entire mono tape as have physical seperation between each channel ?

11. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

On the old mono tapes, there's only one channel. For our purposes, the important thing this time was that the tape was read with a single-head tape deck, and then split **afterward** into two separate channels.

The problems that have arisen earlier occurred when a single-channel mono tape was played back with a two channel head.

-Kevin

12. jorgeluiz

jorgeluiz Forum Resident

very clever.
    thanks so much for fast and precise answer. :)

13. ArneW

ArneW Senior Member

Allan Rouse, a great two thumbs up! :edthumbs:

14. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

If the mono tape -- one signal -- is read by a stereo tape head -- two channels -- and the stereo tape head is not in *perfect alignment* then there can be phasing issues which will muddy the sound. Using a single-channel mono head to read a single-signal mono tape is the ultimate solution!

15. Thanks for for all your hard work, and sleepless nights.

16. jorgeluiz

jorgeluiz Forum Resident

@ Veech
    agree!
    we can sum the physical "metal" between each channel in the stereo head that can't read anything losing part of the signal and that can add little noise(hiss)?
    gee..i don't know if i'm clever, bad english.

17. EveryLittleThing

EveryLittleThing New Member

Jorge: Think of the 1987 With The Beatles. That was transferred on a stereo tape head, and it has the phase problems that Veech was talking about. That's why that CD sounds kind of muddy and off. :)

18. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Combining (summing) the channels is what caused some problems with previous releases. Using a two-channel machine to read a single-channel tape is not necessarily bad, but in that case, the left and right signals should NOT be summed.

(Because if the two heads are not exactly aligned while reading the tape, summing the channels will produce artifacts.)

-Kevin

19. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

Thank you, Allan! :righton:

You and your team are making this forum's dreams come true!

20. jorgeluiz

jorgeluiz Forum Resident

completely clever.

thanks to EveryLittleThing and Kevin! :)

21. Sammy Banderas

Sammy Banderas Forum Resident

Thanks so much, Allan, for sharing with us your valuable insight and for putting so much love and care into these upcoming Beatles releases! There's no doubt we all appreciate the hard work you and the rest of the remaster team have put into making this music sound the best it has ever sounded.:righton:

22. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Thank You sir for clearing up some these issues. Very much appreciated:righton:

23. Peter K

Peter K Forum Resident

Thanks for posting here. It is much appreciated. After reading a number of reviews and interviews I have pre-ordered the mono box, I am so looking forward to it!!!!

24. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Allan thank you for your interest in our thoughts and your responses. Very happy to see this today. Also, it sounds like you and your team have been doing some fine work.

Steve, big clap to you and all of us for how this community has expanded and more people want to be involved. We've come a long way from the DCC boards................. :)

Best,
    Todd

25. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

From another Beatles fan - Thank you Allan! I have never been this excited regarding
    any music purchase. Lookking forward to Sept 9 with great anticipation.

Best regards,

Gary Freed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.