Upcoming Verve SACDs from Analogue Productions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by acjetnut, Dec 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

One of my favorite jazz albums. I agree that the VME sounds very good (I'd say pretty great), but I'm definitely in for the SACD. I've stopped upgrading on titles just because they're on SACD, but this is an exception. Great stuff, including some gorgeous ballads. My favorite is "Day Dream." This is the only version from the album that I could find on YouTube (unfortunately, the pretty 20-second piano intro is omitted):

art and Jazz Nut like this.
  2. Jazz Nut

Jazz Nut Forum Resident

Hodges was one of a kind. He possessed one of the most identifiable and beautiful tones.

3. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

I just read on Acoustic Sounds that George Marino sourced the DSD master from PCM...what's the point in making a SACD then? Don't get me wrong, they sound ridiculously good, but why use a 20 bit A/D PCM converter (as described on Acoustic Sounds) and put the digitized audio on SACD? They could have done 24k Gold CDs instead (I know, practically noone does that anymore nowadays...just saying...)

4. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

OK.

That's why these SACDs sound as they do...

:shake:

5. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Acoustic Sounds is showing an April 15 release date for the Hodges SACD. I don't usually pay attention to these things, so I'm not sure if AS hits their dates or not.

Jazz Nut likes this.
  6. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Are you referring to all of the Marino-remastered Verves, or just one or more in particular?

7. Jazz Nut

Jazz Nut Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up. That is great news! A must buy for me. I know this recording very well, and am pleased with the current Verve release, but I am sure there will be some improvements.

8. cds23

I was referring to more than just one, since it was advertised this way on several SACDs...they are superbly mastered, but still, I don't get the choice of format.

9. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Maybe he felt he had to do edits, necessitating working in PCM. It's pretty odd, though, isn't it? I mean, wasn't Getz/Gilberto advertised as the reissue that went back to the master tapes and corrected the improper channel switch?

10. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Sounds like vinyl may be the way to go with these.

11. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

So after having lived with these a while guys, which would you say are must haves as far as sound quality?

12. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

With the shipment of 4 SACDs that I received last week, this series is complete. I am spinning West Side Story right now and I am loving it. This series has been a long time in the making.

13. Jazz Nut

Jazz Nut Forum Resident

Wondering the difference between the DCC and the new Analogue Productions version. I just ordered the new Ben Webster and Johnny Hodges' titles. I can't wait!!!!!!!!!

14. Jazz Nut

Jazz Nut Forum Resident

I will be receiving The Soul of Ben Webster and Johnny Hodges with the Billy Strayhorn Orchestra today!! I can't wait. I'll report first impressions this evening. I know both of these recordings well compared to their Verve CD counterparts.

15. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Is no news bad news? :)

16. Jazz Nut

Jazz Nut Forum Resident

I need to do a comparison tonight between the Verve CD's and the new Analogue Productions SACD's. Right now I think there is slight improvement in the Johnny Hodges recording, space around the instruments, lowering of tape hiss. I think the bigger improvement is with the "Soul of Ben Webster" SACD. Stay tuned, should get to it around 9pm CDT.

Right now, I am really impressed with Ben Webster's "Soulville".

17. cds23

I think I'm passing on the "Soulville" and "Coleman Hawkins and Confreres" SACDs because of the missing bonus tracks. The slightly better sound can't justify the missing music and the significantly higher price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.