Upcoming Verve SACDs from Analogue Productions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by acjetnut, Dec 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

How about:

MGV 2080 - Bill Thompson - Fantabulous

2. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

This is the one I was thinking of. I don't know what gave me the idea it was a Yoshida XRCD. Does anyone know anyting about this version?

3. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

They are here. WOW!!! The ones that I have heard so far sound awesome!!! The picture on the tray of the original reel to reel tape boxes is nice, but the sound of these discs is just sub-lime. I am listening to Billy Holiday right now; WOW! And I already heard the Ella and Louis disc; both MONO. The Oscar Peterson is multi-channel and the Stan Getz is stereo, these discs are beautiful.

4. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

It's Billie Holiday.

5. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I have the earlier Verve SACDs of both:

Ella and Louis (a favorite since I inherited my father's original mono LP)
    Getz and Gilberto (I'm a more casual fan)

Can anyone do a comparison?

6. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I am really looking forward to the release of Ella's "Let No Man Write My Epitaph" on both SACD and 45 rpm LP.

7. therockman

I have listened to all of these SACDs and all of them sound fantastic. The mastering credits are nice and clear, unlike the Impulse series of SACDs. I am very, very happy with the quality of this series.

8. pbda

pbda Forum Resident

I received the first four (subscriber) and have only listened to Getz/Gilberto so far. It this is what we can expect from the series, then I'm a happy man. :thumbsup:

9. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Any more reviews on this series? I would buy but most of George Marino's work that I have heard sounds too bright to me. That includes the Miles Davis and Cat Stevens SACDs that he mastered recently.

10. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

Will these discs ever get released?

Jazz Samba? West Side Story?

11. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

That's good to know, Im thinking about dropping the hammer and buying the Billie Holiday mono SACD....:righton:

12. Jazz Nut

Jazz Nut Forum Resident

I am listening it right now! Beautiful, detailed. Just sit back with the lights low and your drink of choice in hand.

I got it several months and have only gotten to really listening to it tonight.

I've had the regular CD for years, and never liked the sound. This SACD is the real deal. :D:righton:

13. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Yesterday I received the "Ella and Louis" AP SACD and compared it to the japanese hybrid SACD from 2004 (UCGU-7039)

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/2388
    http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/7491

The difference is quite important.

At first, the japanese SACD sounds much more detailled and forward, but this is due to a big upper treble boost compared to the AP SACD. In the long run, it tends to annoy as is emphasizes sibilance of the closely miked vocals, especially Armstrong's raspy voice.

The AP SACD seems to have a flat EQ, not trying to compensate the natural treble roll-off of the old recording. While it sounds duller at first (it is missing the treble extension of post-1957 recordings), the presentation of the voices and the trumpet is fuller and more natural.

Highly recommended, even if you already have a previous SACD release.

14. therockman

I now have ten titles from this series, and I love them all. Right now I am listening to Illinois Jacquet Swings The Thing in mono, it sounds beautiful.

15. Jazz Nut

Jazz Nut Forum Resident

Yes, it does sound beautiful. Hopefully the releases keep coming, I know there are quite a few that are in the pipeline. Wonder if George Marino finished the remastering before his passing.

16. therockman

I was wondering the same thing. I hope that they are able to complete this series even if they have to get a different mastering engineer.

17. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Can't wait for the Getz/Byrd Jazz Samba

18. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Didn't Dennis Drake master many of these titles back in the 80s? I have several of them and sound quality is quite good. I'll have to break out of 'em and take another listen. Has anyone compared the Marino remasters to the Drake originals?

19. therockman

I would be interested in that comparison.

On a side note, I am confused by the Ella and louis Again disc. Is this the whole album, or is there some missing? I thought that it was suppose to be a two disc set.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ella_and_Louis_Again

20. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Ella and Louis Again has been released in multiple configurations. My old CD (Dennis Drake, I believe, but uncredited) has a set list, consisting of the songs on which they actually duetted (including some songs not on the SACD).

However, Louis' Let's Do It is one of my favorite tracks of all time, so I am glad it is included.

21. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I haven't listened to my Ben Webster Meets Oscar Peterson APO SACD in quite awhile. I broke it out this morning and I forget how great the music is on this album and the excellent SQ :).

Bill

22. Jazz Nut

Jazz Nut Forum Resident

Timeless music! :)

Also, I think the APO SACD is a good improvement over the Verve Master Edition CD.

23. therockman

I agree 100% on both counts. :righton:

24. screener

screener Forum Resident

I will have to give this one a spin later.
    Purchase just completed.

Enjoy,
    Kim

25. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

Why in the world did AP put out a CD release of this title without including all of the tacks included on the original 2 LP release?:confused: I would much rather pay extra for a 2 CD set that included everything. I have the 2 CD Verve master edition but really wanted all of these tracks to get the audiophile treatment.:cry:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.