Universal Back To Black 180 gram vinyl *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LeeS, Jul 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I didn't say there wasn't a yellow-label Disraeli Gears, just that it's not the original pressing.

2. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

No, you're spot on, no confusion! The Willem Makkee '320' were generally good with a few exceptions... Cat Stevens being one that I recall.

My philosophy is to buy at least one title of anything that is being released and make up my own mind as to the rest of the catalogue.

The Eagles - Long Road Out of Eden was pressed at GZvinyl in the Czech Republic and I would say it is from the CD.

JG

3. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

I think you're missing a word there. It is ____from the CD?

I have it on vinyl and CD as well. I prefer the vinyl greatly in terms of the sound but the pressing is noisy. Plus they got the labels mixed up.

4. James Glennon

It's Friday I'm tired. It is mastered from the CD.

JG

5. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

I don't think so. TLRTE is one of those CDs I point to as an example of a current brickwalled CD that doesn't sound like it was mastered with a fuzzbox once you get the levels down to a sane level. However, the acoustic guitar parts sound very "mechanical" and almost robotic, which is a sure sign of heavy compression (for example, the intro to Waiting In the Weeds and the "re-intro" after the bridge). On vinyl, these sound much more natural to my ears (except for pressing noise at the beginning :( ). If it was just mastered from the already compressed CD, it would sound exactly the same. IMO, it doesn't.

6. nashreed

nashreed New Member

I really have to wonder, then, why are these releases so friggin' bad?? Universal has also released some good vinyl recently. I had no problems with Beck "Modern Guilt" or the U2 "War" reissue (which was super-clean and sounds amazing to me!). Why have they put out a series of new "audiophile" vinyl (and I know somebody's just gonna put a bunch of dollar signs as a post) that sucks? Why damage their reputation or "cred" now, since the vinyl resurgence isn't that old, and they can cash in for years if it had been done right?

James

7. James Glennon

I bow to your superior knowledge (having the CD to compare to vinyl). I don't!

Since I posted earlier today I saw Layla going reasonably cheap, so I bought it. Listening to it now and it is absolute CRUD! How bad can it get.

In another thread (which I started) I questioned the musicality of a lot of the reissues, but I wasn't prepared for this trash!

Do the people at Universal not know that people are more discerning than they give them credit for.

8. James Glennon

I bow to your superior knowledge (having the CD to compare to vinyl). I don't!

Since I posted earlier today I saw Layla (Back to Black) going reasonably cheap, so I bought it. Listening to it now and it is absolute CRUD! How bad can it get.

In another thread (which I started) I questioned the musicality of a lot of the reissues, but I wasn't prepared for this trash!

Do the people at Universal not know that people are more discerning than they give them credit for.

JG

9. Onward

Onward Forum Resident

I haven't heard any of these reissues, but I have a couple of gzvinyl releases that don't sound very good at all. No more gzvinyl for me :thumbsdn:

10. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member

Boy, I wished I had read this thread before I brought the Cat Stevens and Abba discs. I have only listened to side one of TFTT and all I can say is, "Ouch". My stock A&M disc sounds far more natural. I'm afraid to open the Abba disc. I'm also confused by the thick outer cover on these discs. What good are they? You can't really open and reseal them. All in all, not a good experience.

On a more positive note, the new America disc on Friday Music is excellent.

11. jeffrosen

jeffrosen Forum Resident

I had pre ordered the Cat Stevens and Cream titles and was afraid to even listen to them after reading this thread. Put on the Cat Stevens. Ouch. Sounds like a different mix nearly. Not enjoyable at all. Even the vinyl was fairly noisy. I own an old brown A&M and an early 80's UK Island pressing and still prefer the A&M best. Had to put on some jazz to "cleanse" my ears and be sure it wasn't my system. Put on aa Art Blakey 60's title "'s MAke It" on Limelight that sounds great. Wish I knew who At Univ. Music to complain to. Have the Hendrix and Traffic also on preorder, one can only hope they are better.

12. I have three things to say

(1) :realmad: @ Universal

(2) :cry: I wanted to get some new records of albums I like

(3) Nowhere that I've seen is listing them as "audiophile" releases

13. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

When Universal releases good vinyl it's because it was mastered specifically for LP like the U2 or a new release like Beck. There was no thought into mastering these reissues, they just took a digital copy and through it onto LP. Oh well it saves me a bunch of money. I will be busy buying the Rhinio/WB reissues instead! :D

14. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

It seems like most of this thread is speculation. I am listening to Blind Faith Back To Black right now and it sounds great. It sounds warm and thick. Just my two cents.

15. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

So they got 1 title right. I bought 4 and they are ALL horrible.

16. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

There's lots of copies made from Blind Faith that sound good. Even the TruTone Polydor reissue sounds good, and they didn't take the chick off the cover. You can find those for $10 tops!

I have the MFSL, but I digress....

17. haste

haste Forum Resident

Surprising they're still coming out with a load of titles, including Velvet Underground & Nico, which was just recently reissued on 4 Men With Beards label. Seems pretty desperate :sigh:

18. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Well i'm still waiting on my Back To Black copy of 'Who's Next' to arrive. Anyone heard that? I'm not a huge audiophile so maybe I am who this is aimed at. But I do require it to sound good AND I want the proper artwork. If that's not the case then i'll not be happy.

19. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

For "Who's Next" the Classic Records reissue is still in print with both 150g and 200g pressings available. Believe me, it sounds GREAT and has the proper artwork.

20. I'm not an audiophile either but I can tell you that Classic Records records sound great! Well, the three I have so far.....

21. Almost Simon

How much do they cost? And from where is the best place to purchase?

22. The US price on their website is US$33 (for a 180g/200g LP) which translates to $50 in Australia. As you are in the UK I would guess that they will be at least £25. That is a complete guess mind you. Looking at their site, a 150g LP is US$20. They have a list of international distributors/shops at http://www.classicrecords.com/dealers.cfm

23. Almost Simon

Thank you, i'll take a look :righton:

24. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

I'd recommend getting them from themusic.com. For an extra $1.50 (for the 150g version. It's free for the 200g version), they have a service called "hand pick" which means they will check the actual record they send you for defects and then clean it professionally before packaging it carefully for shipping.

Edit: I see you're in the UK. You should be able to find a copy of the Classic Who's Next from a UK dealer, perhaps in store.

25. James Glennon

Your opinions are as valid as any member here!

JG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.