Universal Back To Black 180 gram vinyl *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LeeS, Jul 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

Uh, no the Fairports on 4MWB don't sound promising at all. do a search, and you'll find they fall into the not recommended category and at least for Liege & Lief, I'm in agreement with that assessment.

2. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Looks like I will returning my Cat Stevens unopened back to the store!

PT

3. deadcoldfish

4. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I don't know what the Universal reissues sound like, but I do have a couple of GZ Vinyl pressings and they are poor - but not nec. because of the vinyl or pressings. To be fair, it may be due to the mastering or source tapes that were used.

These two sound like they were made from a cd's:

John Foxx - The Garden
    Bola - Fyuti

5. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

6. rich121

rich121 Forum Resident

No posts/threads about SC of Universal "back to black" lps for awhile, what's up?

I looked foreward to posts by those who have purchased these Lp's so that I could know whether to purchase certain ones or not at all...
    I had followed 2 such threads that had reported disappointing SC with the "Back to black" series..
    If anyone has more information please post it so everyone knows your thoughts.

Rick

7. vette442

vette442 Senior Member

These two are from the older '320' Universal series done by Willem Makkee in Hanover. This is the same series with the Nirvana and Quadrophenia pressings that get very high marks. I think they did Sonic Youth's "Goo" and Soundgarden's "Superunknown" in this run as well, among others, but I never picked those up. Wish I had grabbed the SY at least. The sound/mastering on all of the ones I did get from this series has been very good, but they've all had issues with the actual pressings - scuff marks, off center, bleah...

I'm bummed to read comments about the new series, but at least we're forewarned.

Terry

marcfeld69 likes this.
  8. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I suppose we have to take our chances on some of these then?

I was eyeing Disreali Gears last time I was at the store...hmmmm...would this be better than a nice yellow Atco?

9. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan Thread Starter

The Tupelo Honey by Van Morrison is sonically terrible and should be avoided. I returned mine for pressing issues as well.

10. deadcoldfish

did you read the other thread ? I don't think there's a chance that the Back to Black reissue will come close to the Atco.

11. nashreed

nashreed New Member

I tried copy #2 of Van Morrison's "Tupelo Honey"... and it also has a whole lot of surface noise. Really bad at the end of each side. Oh, and bonus!, this one had a nice skip on the title track...:shake:

James

12. Claude

Claude Senior Member

These LP reissues are sold for 12-15€ here, which is less than a full price CD.

I think that if the LPs were made with audiophile customers in mind, they would take better care of the mastering and pressing quality and charge more for them.

13. vette442

vette442 Senior Member

To avoid confusion, everything I'm referring to in my above comments are the prior '320' series. I see that 'Goo' is being released in the new Universal series as well, so I didn't want to create confusion. I don't have anything from the new series.
    Terry

14. rich121

rich121 Forum Resident

Was it also a digital recording, or sound like one?

Rick

15. CybrKhatru

Yeah, I read it, and you are probably right. Just wondered if anyone had taken the plunge. :)

16. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Or better yet, a tri-color Atco!

17. Jay F

Jay F New Member

What is SC?

18. Jay F

Jay F New Member

The original Disraeli Gears came out on the two-tone Atco label: purple and brown for stereo; blue-gray and gold for mono.

19. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

DO NOT BUY THESE. They're garbage even at $2.

20. rich121

rich121 Forum Resident

Sorry mistaken... was suppossed to read Sound Quality.. I got in a hurry and missed my mistake...

Rick

21. LeeS

Mine had a skip there as well. :confused: Coincidence or not?

22. LeeS

Quoted for truth.

23. CybrKhatru

Thanks. I knew that. :D That's what I get for posting while distracted. :righton:

Yellow atco? sheesh...I must have had mid 70s Genesis on the brain...:cool::laugh:

24. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

There is a yellow ATCO Gears. From 1969 until 1971. After that it was replaced by RSO.

25. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

[​IMG]

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.